Joshua Kaufman

Leaving United States after entering on a K1

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

So I'm finally expecting my fiance to have her visa in a week or two, and she'll be entering the United States shortly after. However, she is German and keen to return to Europe for several business projects over the next six months to a year. In my big Fiance and Marriage Visas book, it says that that can only be done after filing for adjustment of status and only if she applies for Advance Parole.

Has anyone used Advance Parole successfully to leave and then reenter the United States multiple times during the adjustment of status application? How easy or difficult is it?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
So I'm finally expecting my fiance to have her visa in a week or two, and she'll be entering the United States shortly after. However, she is German and keen to return to Europe for several business projects over the next six months to a year. In my big Fiance and Marriage Visas book, it says that that can only be done after filing for adjustment of status and only if she applies for Advance Parole.

Has anyone used Advance Parole successfully to leave and then reenter the United States multiple times during the adjustment of status application? How easy or difficult is it?

Lots of people have used AP for exactly that purpose. That's what it's for. If you have a pressing need, you can get expedited AP on the spot at a USCIS office, with the right explanation and a kind officer.

I've always wondered if a Citizen of a VWP country really needs AP but from the best I can tell, they do.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just remember that you can only apply for the AP once you get married - at the same time you apply for the AOS. It can take @ 3 months to be approved. But once you have it you can leave the country while the AOS is pending.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Just remember that you can only apply for the AP once you get married - at the same time you apply for the AOS. It can take @ 3 months to be approved. But once you have it you can leave the country while the AOS is pending.

clarification - you can apply for AP once you get married at the same time or after applying for AOS. You need to have proof that you applied for AOS.

Lots of people have used AP for exactly that purpose. That's what it's for. If you have a pressing need, you can get expedited AP on the spot at a USCIS office, with the right explanation and a kind officer.

I've always wondered if a Citizen of a VWP country really needs AP but from the best I can tell, they do.

I sure wouldn't take the change of leaving without AP on a K-1 even with WWP

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The other thing you have to keep in mind is what the AOS adjudicating officer will think about your AOS petition when your wife spends the majority of the time you have been married outside of the country. I am not saying that she shouldn't travel, but be prepared for some potential questioning about your ongoing relationship.

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is what the AOS adjudicating officer will think about your AOS petition when your wife spends the majority of the time you have been married outside of the country. I am not saying that she shouldn't travel, but be prepared for some potential questioning about your ongoing relationship.

Another good point :yes:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another consideration - the K-1 is valid for 6 months and should be used within that time period. Once it is used she needs to have an AP based on a submitted AOS application in order to leave the country and be allowed back in. If these projects are very important to her, she may wish not to use the K-1 until the end of its 6 months validity. It would be a delay in getting married, but that is the decision the two of you would have to make - how important is it for her to attend to these projects vs how important is it to get married right away. Given the time delays right now with the USCIS backlogs, I suspect that the 3 month expected processing time for an AP may be unrealistic.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.