Mandysbaby

Getting DL

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

We just got word that my DH EAD card will be mailed so of course he'll be going to get his SSN. I have a quick question though as far as him getting a drivers license. Will he have to go about getting it like a American? He thought he heard before that he could just get his license transfered over here but I'm not so sure. I figured he'd have to go about getting his permit and holding that like everyone else and then taking the driving test. Am I right? We live in Indiana if that makes a difference.

Does your state have their DMV online where you can go read the requirements for a driver's license?

http://www.state.in.us/bmv/

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
Does your state have their DMV online where you can go read the requirements for a driver's license?

Yes I've been there but I don't see anything about someone who's from another Country, just another State.

Yes I've been there but I don't see anything about someone who's from another Country, just another State.

I would think that they would process him as a new driver then. Probably will have to take the written exam and driving exam.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Timeline

Every State has their own rules and regulations. Looks to me like he'll have to start with a learner permit. From the link that jasman provided:

• A written examination is required for:

Persons who hold an out-of-state license and who are applying for an Indiana driver license

Please Note: An out-of-country license is not accepted as identification or proof of driving experience. Therefore, it will not be forfeited upon issuance of an Indiana learner permit, driver license, or identification card.

Note: Upon receiving an Indiana driver license or permit, the recipient must surrender his or her previous driver license or state-issued identification card.

I'm sure you'll get someone who will mix the above two notes up. Therefore I recommend he doesn't take his out-of-country license to the DMV or they may keep it.

http://' target="_blank">How do I get a driver license or ID card if I am new to the country and do not have a Social Security number?

In its efforts to improve constantly, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles is updating policies and verifying that what we do is grounded in law. State law requires the agency to verify an applicant's Social Security number before issuing a driver licenses, permit, or identification card. Any foreign national who is residing in the United States and wants to apply for an identification card, operator license or learner permit should contact a local license branch and ask to apply through the Central Verification Process (CVP) to verify the applicant's immigration status.

Please Note: An out-of-country license is not accepted as identification or proof of driving experience. Therefore, it will not be forfeited upon issuance of an Indiana learner permit, driver license, or identification card. Individuals with questions may call (317) 233-6000 and choose option 2.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You should be able to take the driving license test...

In NC when I did it, they didn't recognize my French DL meaning that I couldn't just get a DL with just passing the written test. The DMV had me do a way easy driving test (seriously, I was laughing compare to what I had to go through in France), I think it's because even though they can't accept the Foreign DL as it is, they know you drive, or maybe I was lucky.

Hopefully it will be the same for you.

And say that you left your DL in Scotland or that you lost it or something so they don't take it from you.

If you haven't already, go to the DMV and ask for the driving hand book that contains the rules and the signals and all that so you can start working on it already.

Edited by Cécy

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Your husband will have to start with a Learner's Permit - first do the written exam, then receive LP good for a year. Whenever he is ready he can go to take the driver's exam which will give him a DL.

IN, unfortunately, does not recognize out-of-country DLs so we're like brand new drivers to them. I went through the same process - still didn't take the driving exam.

Make sure you bring all sorts of documents and go to a branch that has a lot of new immigrants - people who work in some branches can be useless when it comes to legal new immigrants, documents that can be used...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I don't think he will need a learners permit. UK driving licences are good for 12 months from date of arrival in the USA, just as US licences are good for the same period in the UK. It is an agreement between the two countries. However he cannot exchange his licence for a US one he will have to take the written and drive tests to be issued a US licence.

He can drive on his UK licence while he gets some experience on US roads, I did this for 3 months before I did the test.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I only know about Indiana as I came from the DMV a few days ago after asking about what I would need to do. To get a learner's permit you need to sit a 50 question written test. 16 of these questions are road signs and you can miss one only.

If you pass they give you a piece of paper saying that you can start to learn to drive, you cannot take the practical test for 60 days. Whilst this is going on they send your details to Homeland Security, who then do a check to see if you are a genuine immigrant. They then can issue you with the official learner's permit. You cannot take the driving practical test until you have received this permit from DHS.

As your husband can already drive (I think?) the best thing you can do, and the surest way to find out any information, is actually go down to your local DMV rather than relying on information here that may or may not be correct for Indiana.

I only know about Indiana as I came from the DMV a few days ago after asking about what I would need to do. To get a learner's permit you need to sit a 50 question written test. 16 of these questions are road signs and you can miss one only.

If you pass they give you a piece of paper saying that you can start to learn to drive, you cannot take the practical test for 60 days. Whilst this is going on they send your details to Homeland Security, who then do a check to see if you are a genuine immigrant. They then can issue you with the official learner's permit. You cannot take the driving practical test until you have received this permit from DHS.

As your husband can already drive (I think?) the best thing you can do, and the surest way to find out any information, is actually go down to your local DMV rather than relying on information here that may or may not be correct for Indiana.

I received my IN LP immediately after passing the 50 questions test (Lake County).

@Lansbury, Oregon has different DMV rules than IN - IN does not accept any foreign DLs - asked and confirmed. I have 4 yrs of driving experience and still received a LP.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

I received my IN LP immediately after passing the 50 questions test (Lake County).

@Lansbury, Oregon has different DMV rules than IN - IN does not accept any foreign DLs - asked and confirmed. I have 4 yrs of driving experience and still received a LP.

So then he will have to take the permit test, hold it for so many days like any other person, and then take the driving test??

Timeline

I wasn't quoting Oregon I hopefully clearly said the agreement is between the UK and the US. If for some reason IN do not accept UK licences than a person holding an IN licence would not be able to use it in the UK, as the agreement is that all driving licences issued in one country are treated equally by the other.

OR only allows a resident to drive for 30 days on a non OR licence but when I asked about my UK one I was told that they have to abide by the agreement in place and it was good for 12 months. I first became professionally aware of the US/UK driving licence agreement in 1977 it was certainly in place long before that, and applies to licences issued in all US States and the UK, and hasn't changed. If a State is refusing to abide by it the matter should be pursued by the applicant.

How would people be able to say hire a car in Indiana using a UK licence otherwise.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Timeline

I meant to also say

As to what foreign licences are acceptable and how long they can be used is normally a question that the average drone at the DMV cannot answer. The best source is a police officer from the State Police or large city PD as they are the ones who enforce the law, and know what is legal and what isn't.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Timeline

I wasn't quoting Oregon I hopefully clearly said the agreement is between the UK and the US. If for some reason IN do not accept UK licences than a person holding an IN licence would not be able to use it in the UK, as the agreement is that all driving licences issued in one country are treated equally by the other.

OR only allows a resident to drive for 30 days on a non OR licence but when I asked about my UK one I was told that they have to abide by the agreement in place and it was good for 12 months. I first became professionally aware of the US/UK driving licence agreement in 1977 it was certainly in place long before that, and applies to licences issued in all US States and the UK, and hasn't changed. If a State is refusing to abide by it the matter should be pursued by the applicant.

How would people be able to say hire a car in Indiana using a UK licence otherwise.

The 12 month agreement is true for IN. My husband has been driving on his UK license since we got a car. His 12 months will be up come December. The license branch knows he only has h is UK license right now and there was no problem for him to plate and register our car. He was also able to get car insurance no problem. I do not drive as of now so he's the only one who drives our car. That's why I asked if he'd have to go the permit route b/c the IN book states that while driving on a permit, you are only supposed to be in the car with another licensed driver. Which I am not licensed to drive and we need him to be able to drive us where we need to go as a family. KWIM?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Only quoting verbatim what the lady at the DMV told me. You get a LP, but it isn't the official one, apparently; that has to come from the DHS (although you can still learn to drive during the waiting time). I guess I'll find out for sure when I go for my test soon.

Edited by Mags

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.