adelaarsvaren

Open letter to Homeland Security

142 posts in this topic

Adelaarsvaren, you'll get there. The process is maddening, no doubt about that. I've found the best approach is to lower your standards and assume that everyone you'll deal with will be a surly, inept functionary. When and if you encounter someone who isn't, it comes as a pleasant surprise!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

At least YOU ARE TOGETHER. Many couples have been waiting and waiting and wating to get that ONCE CHANCE to EVEN just get to the interview stage to get the visa itself and be togther. That it self takes years in some cases. Would you have rathered lived apart for 4 years? Count your blessings and be happy to have your spouse with you. Many people even go for years with out beeing able to see their SO because USCIS has them in AP, the distance and the $$ involved to travel is not available, then there is also the vacation day issue. If they are lucky maybe they get to see their SO for one 1 week out of the year. Looks like things are moving for you. Maybe slow but they are moving.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Yes you are right, it is a ludicrous system, filled with redundancies and such.

But it is what we have right now, while your anger might be just, there are many of here that know it will not get you anywhere.

May I suggest you temper your anger and point in the direction of assisting changes in immigration policy.

For now we all have to go through this process, I know Annie and I have shared your anger many times over.

For now, enjoy life knowing that you get to spend it with your love.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
People, get you act together....

This is beyond ridiculous. I have been waiting, and waiting and waiting. My wife and I have been married for going on 4 years now, and it has been almost one year since we began the process of allowing her to come the USA and work to support our family. Your terrible inefficiency has put uncessary stress on our lives. Your lack of clarity has caused unecessary delays. Your lack of hard work has wasted thousands of dollars in revenue for YOU - taxes my wife could have been paying into the US treasury if you could be bothered to fix your system and get her a work permit.

We are not terrorists. We are not illegal aliens. We are the people who follow the rules and suffer for it. We are the people who praise our country to our spouses, so that they will consider living here, and then have to explain why Homeland Security with its unbelievable budget can't be clear and efficient.

You force us to harrass our congressmen and women. You force us to fill out the same forms mutliple times. You force us to prove that we don't need money before you allow our spouses to make any.

You are an embarassment to a merit-based capitalistic system of government.

I will never forgive you.

-B

As tempting as these thoughts may be, the facts of the matter are:

(1) You and your wife are living together in the U.S.A.

(2) Although your interim benefits are temporary and subject to renewals, they provide you with most of the same rights as lawful admission for permanent residence would give you.

(3) The government is just taking a cautious approach to approving a very powerful application; the longer full status is withheld, the more likely any marriage fraud or misrepresentation is likely to be uncovered.

(4) The broken immigration system is partially due to Congress's irresponsibility to fix it or to fund it. So, your Congressmen need to be continually reminded of the problems people are encountering dealing with their law.

1) True. And she is going crazy sitting at home all day on limited income, not being able to work. She has two masters degrees, speaks 3 languages, and gave up a lot to come here.

2) Benefits? What benefits? They won't issue her a social security number, so we can't get her a drivers license. She can't work. She's not elegible for any benefits or assistance should I lose my job. She's in limbo. The only thing she has is free movement (a multiple entry visa).

3) We've been married for close to four years. I could understand if the was a IMBRA marriage, or even a young marriage from a high-risk country. I'm afraid that doesn't sit with me.

4) Agreed. Good point.

Hi,

It struck me as odd when you implied that you need a SSN to get a driver's license, so I checked. Of course maybe you're not in Washington state, but the way I read the requirements for Driver's licenses there an SSN is not mandatory. There are LOTs of document combinations (including foreign passport) that will allow her to apply for one. http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/idproof.html

If you lost your job, being from a foreign country would be the least of her problems. Benefits from unemployment are the privilege of the former employee (you) and not the spouse, and (I believe) would be paid based on YOUR payments into the Social Security system regardless of her status.

All of what you talk about is work oriented stuff. Well, that is part of the reason why we are required to submit "Affidavit of Support" (at least for my request for K1 visa) Its not because we (I) PLAN for her to work and not because we (I) plan for her to have to use assistance benefits.

I admire the fact that your wife has 2 masters degrees, speaks 3 languages, and comes from another country (France?). If what is really happening here (primarily) is boredom, can I suggest that perhaps volunteer work at the local, state, or even online might be of value? In spite of the salary that I make, I still like to find opportunities to volunteer and try to take the time to do so on a regular basis. It helps me to recognise that there are those that I can help and who can benefit from my experience (giving back). It also helps me to appreciate the opportunities that I have been graced with, that others have not. It doesn't make me better than them, but it does help keep me grateful, humble, appreciative, and busy.

Of course, it doesn't help my financial situation, but often I'm dealing with those who aren't lucky enough to have what I've been blessed to receive.

But that's just me.

K1 Visa Process
USPS Express Mail I-129F Package sent to USCIS VT Service Center 07/05/07
NOA-1 Received: Notice Date 07/11/07
NOA-2 Received: Notice Date 11/20/07
Medical conducted 12/21, 26, 28/07, 01/02/08
USEM Interview conducted 01/04/08
Visas picked up at USEM (request non-delivery) 01/08/08
Family (Mom & kids) arrive Washington, DC 01/13/08

AOS Process
USPS Priority Mail package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 03/14/08
Arrived Chicago Lockbox 03/16/08
Checks Cashed for AOS fees 04/24/08
NOA1s received 04/25/08
Biometrics (spouse & 3 kids) 05/14/08
AOS transferred to CSC 05/23/08

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline
At least YOU ARE TOGETHER. Many couples have been waiting and waiting and wating to get that ONCE CHANCE to EVEN just get to the interview stage to get the visa itself and be togther. That it self takes years in some cases. Would you have rathered lived apart for 4 years? Count your blessings and be happy to have your spouse with you. Many people even go for years with out beeing able to see their SO because USCIS has them in AP, the distance and the $$ involved to travel is not available, then there is also the vacation day issue. If they are lucky maybe they get to see their SO for one 1 week out of the year. Looks like things are moving for you. Maybe slow but they are moving.

I'm terribly sorry for you and all you have to deal with.

I'm very happy we are together.

It doesnt' change the fact that I think the system is screwed up for ALL of us. If this was any other corporation, we would demand better service or we would go to the competitors. We don't have that choice.

What's really amazing is that in France, I only waited 5 months. In a country famous for ridiculously slow beaurocracy. Pretty amazing eh? We pride ourselves so much on our efficiency and "get 'er done" attitude here, and that is what is expected, at least in the business world....

I work hard, and treat people with respect. I'd like the same in return. Somebody should be accountable for this mess, but no one is, as the previous two posters stories have confirmed. I mad for you as well as for myself. This system is broken....

I-130 to Nebraska

Received: Nov 15th 06

NOA1 : Nov 21st 06

Touch: Nov 27th

RFE: Feb 12 07

NOA2 : Mar 1st 07

I-129f to Chicago (for K-3)

Received: Nov 30th

NOA1 : Dec 5th

Touch: Dec 12th

Transfered to CSC : Dec 13th

NOA 2 : Mar 1st 07

NVC sends package to Paris: March 6th

Package 3 arrives: March 23rd

Interview date: June 13

Visa Received: June 20th

AOS and EAD

Mailed EAD: July 9th

Check cashed for EAD: July 17th

Card Production Ordered: Nov 6th

Card Received: Nov 15th

Green Card Interview: Dec 6th

Approved!: Dec 6th

Fougere's Music Thoughts

Filed: Other Timeline

I love these threads where someone insists the government should be 'accountable' to us when it comes to immigration.

It was never lost on me that I was asking my government for the PRIVILEGE to bring a foreign-born person into this country to live. A privilege - not a right. Granted, I had paid a fee and I was entitled to some level of customer service, but it was also not lost on me that the answer to my petitions did not necessarily have to be the answer I wanted. The fees are generated to push the papers to grant the privilege.

Yes the system is broken. Yes it should be better. But the government is hardly 'accountable' to you.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Timeline
I love these threads where someone insists the government should be 'accountable' to us when it comes to immigration.

It was never lost on me that I was asking my government for the PRIVILEGE to bring a foreign-born person into this country to live. A privilege - not a right. Granted, I had paid a fee and I was entitled to some level of customer service, but it was also not lost on me that the answer to my petitions did not necessarily have to be the answer I wanted. The fees are generated to push the papers to grant the privilege.

Yes the system is broken. Yes it should be better. But the government is hardly 'accountable' to you.

Agreed. I am lucky enough to be living with the woman I love.

As yesterday reminds us, this is a very dangerous world and it is pretty obvious why governments are (and should be) careful about who they let in.

"One person with a belief is equal to a force of 99 who have only interests."

John Stuart Mill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I'll admit, AOS was pretty easy if not expensive for us.

But if I had to wait 6 months or so, I wouldn't really be complaining. It is a privilege for my husband to be able to stay here with me. If the government has to take their time (and you are well within normal processing times and your complaints are really invalid as far as the I-864 RFE - different departments, different requirements) (and by taking their time I do not mean the 2 year waits we have seen on here) then so be it.

Really, get used to waiting. And do everything you can to take your mind off of it.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is beyond ridiculous. I have been waiting, and waiting and waiting. My wife and I have been married for going on 4 years now, and it has been almost one year since we began the process of allowing her to come the USA and work to support our family. Your terrible inefficiency has put uncessary stress on our lives. Your lack of clarity has caused unecessary delays. Your lack of hard work has wasted thousands of dollars in revenue for YOU - taxes my wife could have been paying into the US treasury if you could be bothered to fix your system and get her a work permit.

We are not terrorists. We are not illegal aliens. We are the people who follow the rules and suffer for it. We are the people who praise our country to our spouses, so that they will consider living here, and then have to explain why Homeland Security with its unbelievable budget can't be clear and efficient.

You force us to harrass our congressmen and women. You force us to fill out the same forms mutliple times. You force us to prove that we don't need money before you allow our spouses to make any.

-B

(2) Although your interim benefits are temporary and subject to renewals, they provide you with most of the same rights as lawful admission for permanent residence would give you.

(3) The government is just taking a cautious approach to approving a very powerful application; the longer full status is withheld, the more likely any marriage fraud or misrepresentation is likely to be uncovered.

(4) The broken immigration system is partially due to Congress's irresponsibility to fix it or to fund it. So, your Congressmen need to be continually reminded of the problems people are encountering dealing with their law.

1) True. And she is going crazy sitting at home all day on limited income, not being able to work. She has two masters degrees, speaks 3 languages, and gave up a lot to come here.

2) Benefits? What benefits? They won't issue her a social security number, so we can't get her a drivers license. She can't work. She's not elegible for any benefits or assistance should I lose my job. She's in limbo. The only thing she has is free movement (a multiple entry visa).

3) We've been married for close to four years. I could understand if the was a IMBRA marriage, or even a young marriage from a high-risk country. I'm afraid that doesn't sit with me.

4) Agreed. Good point.

I just wanted to offer a suggestion can she not get a job doing something that doesnt require a ss number like babysetting or something on that lines it would give her something to do.. i feel bad for her bc i am scared of the same situation when my fiance gets here and we have been trying to come up with things for him to do until we are sure he can work i am somewhat new to this .... i know also how hard it is to do other work when you are we qualified to do something else so maybe just to make her feel better until the redtape ####### is over i do however agree with both of you though it is ####### but maybe nessary ####### ..lol well that is my suggestion ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

-B

Well... you filed AOS on July 9th. You've only waited 2 months. It's nothing.

A lot of people get RFE's for I-864 - it's very common and most of these RFE's ask for the stuff that you had already submitted.

My AOS took 4 months. I consider it super fast, especially since I had an RFE (for I-864 as well) and they forgot to send me a biometrics letter.

I understand how frustrating it can get, but you really haven't waited that long. You'll be all right.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

trust me i feel ur pain. been married 4 years...waited 1 year for aos interview and almost 2 years now after interview. still waiting on green card when we should be filing for citizenship. yep its not a pretty picture.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I understand your pain. It can be very frustrating to sit around and sometimes frustration can turn to anger. The good news is that months from now it'll all be in the past and it'll be nothing more than a distant memory.

We've had our own issues with them. And the delay causes even more pain and suffering for my wife who is disabled and needs a neck brace to drive. Worst of all, after I get my EAD I have to deal with the bureaucracy of NJ motor vehicles which doesn't give me a license to drive for another three months.

The good that comes out of all this struggle is that you end up more thankful for the basic rights most people take for granted. Its like that saying, what doesn't kill only makes you stronger. Not to mention that it also makes us humble.

The only thing I don't appreciate is the knock on "illegal aliens". Remember people, these folks are picking our food, doing dirty jobs so we don't have to and all they want is a better life, there's nothing criminal about that.

AOS/EAD/I-130 timeline

7/12/2007 AOS/EAD/I-130 filed

7/15/2007 AOS/EAD/I-130 arrived in Chicago

7/23/2007 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/I-130

7/25/2007 AOS/EAD/I-130 TOUCHED

7/27/2007 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/I-130 in the mail

8/15/2007 RFE Birth Certificate

8/24/2007 RFE Sent

8/27/2007 Biometrics Scheduled for 9/19/2007

8/31/2007 I-485 Touched

9/04/2007 I-485 Touched

9/19/2007 Biometrics

9/26/2007 EAD Approved (76 days)

10/04/2007 EAD Received

10/05/2007 Applied for a Social Security Card.

10/09/2007 Interview Scheduled for 11/15/2007

10/17/2007 Social Security Card Received

11/15/2007 Stoked on first interivew. Got everything right but officer had a problem with age difference.

04/14/2008 Stokes interview. Approved in less than 5 mins with no questions asked.

04/17/2008 Card Production Ordered.

04/22/2008 Received Green Card.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

-B

4) Agreed. Good point.

I just wanted to offer a suggestion can she not get a job doing something that doesnt require a ss number like babysetting or something on that lines it would give her something to do.. i feel bad for her bc i am scared of the same situation when my fiance gets here and we have been trying to come up with things for him to do until we are sure he can work i am somewhat new to this .... i know also how hard it is to do other work when you are we qualified to do something else so maybe just to make her feel better until the redtape ####### is over i do however agree with both of you though it is ####### but maybe nessary ####### ..lol well that is my suggestion ...

Babysitting or something that doesn't require an SSN is just under the table, and is still considered employment and if there is no EAD, it's still breaking the law.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I thought that they forgave illegal work done by spouses of USCs.

AOS/EAD/I-130 timeline

7/12/2007 AOS/EAD/I-130 filed

7/15/2007 AOS/EAD/I-130 arrived in Chicago

7/23/2007 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/I-130

7/25/2007 AOS/EAD/I-130 TOUCHED

7/27/2007 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/I-130 in the mail

8/15/2007 RFE Birth Certificate

8/24/2007 RFE Sent

8/27/2007 Biometrics Scheduled for 9/19/2007

8/31/2007 I-485 Touched

9/04/2007 I-485 Touched

9/19/2007 Biometrics

9/26/2007 EAD Approved (76 days)

10/04/2007 EAD Received

10/05/2007 Applied for a Social Security Card.

10/09/2007 Interview Scheduled for 11/15/2007

10/17/2007 Social Security Card Received

11/15/2007 Stoked on first interivew. Got everything right but officer had a problem with age difference.

04/14/2008 Stokes interview. Approved in less than 5 mins with no questions asked.

04/17/2008 Card Production Ordered.

04/22/2008 Received Green Card.

:yes:

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.