Jessi+Rich

First Phone interview

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

One month ago I started looking for a job, I have been using careerbuilder and monster. At first, I got very few responses and failed to follow up (we latin americans tend to be more on the passive side when job hunting).

After having someone review my resume and getting to "work" on it using the knock 'em dead series of books, I landed my first phone interview. I feel very confident on the results, the guy who would be my boss was very nice. We talked for almost an hour and everything was excellent until he caught me off guard with the salary expectations question. According to the f*king book, they would ask me that later in the process, so I didnt do the research for the specific sector I was applying. I gave him the last number I had seen that was 50,000 dollars for a quality engineer with a BS. in a manufacturing company. When I realized that I may be screwing up, I told him that there are several websites that provide salary averages by cities, sector, education and experience background, that I would accept a fair salary according to the standards for this city and state, not idaho nor oklahoma. He laughed and said that the remark was perfectly stated and understood (or something like that).

Ok, after the conversation, I checked on salaryengineer.com and it has salaries going from 62,000 to 72,000 dollars for that position, sector and metro city. My question is, how do I fix the 50,000 dollars as an expected salary? Is it possible? Are these salary websites (careerbuilder and monster have them too) reliable?

Thanks a lot, and best luck to all the job hunters!

Jess

Entered US in Dec 20th 2006, K1 visa

Feb 24th 2007, Married

Conditional Resident since May 30th 2007

ROC 2009

Apr 10th, package sent to CSC

Apr 13th, package received (Day 3)

Apr 13th, NOA1 date (Day 3)

Apr 21st, Chech cashed (Day 11)

Apr 24th, NOA1 received in mail (Day 14)

May 15th, First Biometrics letter in mail (Day 35)

May 16th, Requested reschedule (Day 36)

Jun 5th, Second Biometrics letter in mail (Day 56)

Jun 15th, Biometrics (Day 66)

Jun 24th, Decision of Removal of Conditions: Approved!! (Day 75)

Jun 27th, Notice of Removal of Conditions and card production ordered via not so snail mail !YAY! (Day 78)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

In my phone interview I went 10,000 under what I ended up with. I just heightened my expectations, especially after my 3rd interview when I noticed they were dead sure about wanting to hire me!

good luck!

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am an engineer too and i put at least $50,000 also as my expected salary, i think that would be fair enough for a legal immigrant that is starting a career in USA. I have talked to a recruiter and she said that most company gives salary based on your experience, so if they think that your expereince is worth more than $50,000 they will give it to you.

Timeline

You give me hope Anna! Congrats for having the courage of asking for more money! You sure give me hope ;)

Spidergirl, I keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully, 15 yrs experience will count for them! If not, it will be a good start, from there to the stars!!!

Best luck to all

Jess

Feb 24th 2007, Married

ROC 2009

Jun 27th, Notice of Removal of Conditions and card production ordered via not so snail mail !YAY! (Day 78)

Filed: Other Timeline

they're not going to not hire you for saying your salary expectation is lower than what the maret currently pays! Besides, that $62,000 is probably what someone who has been working for some time is making, not an entry level position.

I wouldn't sweat it at all.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

I am still in learning mode here. I thought an entry level position would be for someone that is right out of college, e.g. 0 job experience.

The 62 figure is for someone with 0 experience for the specific position, in the specific sector. The 72 figure is for someone with 15 years experience for the specific position in the specific sector.

BTW, my previous question remains unanswered. Are these salary websites reliable?

Thanks for your input Reba.

Jess

they're not going to not hire you for saying your salary expectation is lower than what the maret currently pays! Besides, that $62,000 is probably what someone who has been working for some time is making, not an entry level position.

Feb 24th 2007, Married

ROC 2009

Timeline
I am still in learning mode here. I thought an entry level position would be for someone that is right out of college, e.g. 0 job experience.

The 62 figure is for someone with 0 experience for the specific position, in the specific sector. The 72 figure is for someone with 15 years experience for the specific position in the specific sector.

BTW, my previous question remains unanswered. Are these salary websites reliable?

Thanks for your input Reba.

Jess

Who knows if they are reliable? I don't go into a job interview with salary.com printed out, but it's a fair source to go off of. I wouldn't quote them in a research paper, but it seems to be pretty fair (salaries tend to be way lower for my area than up north, follow the general patterns that they should, etc).

They won't hire you for way lower than the average, most companies have pay scales for certain jobs. For example, if I'd said 25,000 for my current job, it wouldn't have mattered - company starts hiring at 27,000. Obviously this is way lower than what you'll be making, but regardless, your income won't be anything to laugh at - 50,000 or 62,000, the bills will be paid ;) My husband had limited education because of his situation (father brought him here for a visit when he was 17, then f-ed up his visa by not sending him back to Peru in time to get a student visa, so he was stuck here with his parents or stuck there without a mother or father) - he makes a little over 20,000 a year presently and has companies offering him 7.50 an hour like he should be grateful for it. (Obviously his situation=way different than yours, and he's 16 years younger as well.)

Often, the sad song of an immigrant (especially South American, it seems - seems no matter how much education, etc, you have, you're still seen as lesser to someone of Europe - I've even heard people saying that people from England aren't "real" immigrants-buh? They're more American or something? I don't get it) is that you have to start out lower than an American counterpart would. I hope you get the 62,000 and I'm not saying you have nothing to complain about, I'm just ranting in general.

Edited by meow mix

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

What you can always do is ask how your salary will evolve. Say that for a start this is what you expect but that you also expect an evaluation after 90 days (it often happens anyway) and have your salary adjusted according to what you do.

When you are surprised with such a question, the best thing is to say: "I haven't had time to think about it, can I get back to you later?"

That's what I did when they asked me. Same as you I really didn't know what to answer because it was early in the job search.

Also ask what benefits come with it because that affects the type of salary you need.

You can also call back and say, after research and given the coast of life, I feel it would be better if it was ... or something like that.

Good luck.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Don't go by what those salary websites say the average person is making with such and such years of experience. Those websites are known to over inflate the numbers, sometimes by as much as 25%.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Don't go by what those salary websites say the average person is making with such and such years of experience. Those websites are known to over inflate the numbers, sometimes by as much as 25%.

It depends if they take into account benefits or not. Health insurance or other benefits provided by the employer could be worth 25% of the salary.

Also the data on those sites don't take into account market conditions until after they start happening. There is a lag time between the market changing and that data filtering to the job sites. As of right now, several sectors, especially housing/mortgage related are laying off alot of people. If your looking for a job in those sectors, you will likely find that you cannot get as much even with experience due to more competition for the position. Its likely that the loss of jobs in the housing sector will eventually filter into other sectors. Since the people who lost their jobs will be buying fewer products and contributing to the economy.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

Meow, even though I agree that starting lower than the american counterparts is sad, I think it is the smart thing to do. I am looking for a position which is 1 to 2 levels lower than what I have already done abroad. My husband wants to kill me for this, but I think that it is better for at least a year to understand how everything works here, especially jobs. If I was younger I would even go for a position in Mac Donalds, I could learn to do hamburgers!!!

About your hubby, I really hope that now that he has a GC, he enrolls in a college and get at least a 2 yrs degree.

Cecy, very good idea. I will write it down for the future. Thanks!

Jamie, if I take out 25% out of 62 that would be lower than what I originally asked, then it is not that bad huh?

Health insurance or other benefits provided by the employer could be worth 25% of the salary.

There is something I learned over the years, when negotiating your compensation package, you always try to negotiate your salary first, then the side benefits. And, you always pursue several job options. I love this especific job opportunity, but boy I am not selling me cheap!

Thanks everybody and best luck!

Jess

Feb 24th 2007, Married

ROC 2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

According to salary.com, i should be making about 15K more than I am. The industry is not paying that. This is without the benefits added (base salary).

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Timeline

Jamie, you could be right. I was looking again on careerbuilder, not their salary calculator, but the job postings. I noticed some of them include the Base Pay range offered. I just found the same position I applied to, in other company of course, with the salary base in the range I found on engineersalary.com

Do a search in careerbuilder for your position in your city. Maybe other companies are willing to pay you more or maybe you will find that the salaries for your position are really below what the salary websites say. Who knows.

Best luck

Jess

According to salary.com, i should be making about 15K more than I am. The industry is not paying that. This is without the benefits added (base salary).

Feb 24th 2007, Married

ROC 2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

$62K a year for a recent college grad is too darn good. I don't believe these numbers are accurate.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline
Meow, even though I agree that starting lower than the american counterparts is sad, I think it is the smart thing to do. I am looking for a position which is 1 to 2 levels lower than what I have already done abroad. My husband wants to kill me for this, but I think that it is better for at least a year to understand how everything works here, especially jobs. If I was younger I would even go for a position in Mac Donalds, I could learn to do hamburgers!!!

About your hubby, I really hope that now that he has a GC, he enrolls in a college and get at least a 2 yrs degree.

Cecy, very good idea. I will write it down for the future. Thanks!

Jamie, if I take out 25% out of 62 that would be lower than what I originally asked, then it is not that bad huh?

Health insurance or other benefits provided by the employer could be worth 25% of the salary.

There is something I learned over the years, when negotiating your compensation package, you always try to negotiate your salary first, then the side benefits. And, you always pursue several job options. I love this especific job opportunity, but boy I am not selling me cheap!

Thanks everybody and best luck!

Jess

I agree with Dan & Gemvita on the insurance benefits side - yes, negotiate salary first, but oh boy - I was a temp at my present job for a while, and while the raise and the addition of benefits was wonderful, I would have been overjoyed just to have benefits and stay at the same salary. I went from a job paying a dollar less w/ benefits to a job paying more without benefits, and it was truly like taking a pay cut.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.