miker32us

Sad Story, need to know how to give advice

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

We have some good friends who are in their mid 60's who immigrated from China through their son to the US 3 years ago. They are living with their son and daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren. The son and daughter-in-law are both Chinese but now have their US citizenship The daughter-in-law wants them to move out and into HUD federal subsidy housing because she says the current situation with all of them living together is creating a lot of friction. Neither of the parents speaks any English and they are both very upset about this entire situation. Both parents do have social security numbers but have never worked in the US.

My question is: Did the son, as his parent's sponsor have to fill out the I-864 for both of his parents and does this filing prevent them from going on public assistance? I also wonder if they do succeed in getting into this public subsidy housing if one day HUD's computers tie into USCIS computers and uncover this scam.

To sum up the situation, these are 2 elderly Chinese parents who have never worked in the US and are asking the federal government to subsidize their housing and I would also imagine they will have to apply for food stamps so they can eat.

I-130...CR-1

02/27/06 Filed CR-1, I-130 thru TSC

07/26/06 NVC assigns case #, Wife e-mails choice of agent to NVC

10/10/06 Receive, complete and submit I-864 and DS-230

04/02/07 Back to Taiwan for visit and Interview

04/06/07 Received CR-1 visa

04/10/07 POE through Detroit

04/30/07 2 Year Green Card Received

Lifting Conditions

01/10/09 File I-751 at VSC

06/24/09 Received 10 year GC

Citizenship

07/27/10 Filing Date for N-400

08/03/10 Check cashed - as of 8/26 never received NOA so made InfoPass

08/31/10 InfoPass for Biometrics

11/10/10 Interview Date, Passed

02/18/11 Scheduled oath ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I feel sad for the parents. If they were my parents I would want them to stay at the same house with me especially

that they are already old and dont speak english. That would be too hard for them to move out by themselves. How long

they have been here?

We have some good friends who are in their mid 60's who immigrated from China through their son to the US 3 years ago. They are living with their son and daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren. The son and daughter-in-law are both Chinese but now have their US citizenship The daughter-in-law wants them to move out and into HUD federal subsidy housing because she says the current situation with all of them living together is creating a lot of friction. Neither of the parents speaks any English and they are both very upset about this entire situation. Both parents do have social security numbers but have never worked in the US.

My question is: Did the son, as his parent's sponsor have to fill out the I-864 for both of his parents and does this filing prevent them from going on public assistance? I also wonder if they do succeed in getting into this public subsidy housing if one day HUD's computers tie into USCIS computers and uncover this scam.

To sum up the situation, these are 2 elderly Chinese parents who have never worked in the US and are asking the federal government to subsidize their housing and I would also imagine they will have to apply for food stamps so they can eat.

*****~ K3 Timeline ~*****

04-23-07 We got married in the Philippines

09-08-07 Sent both I-130 and I-129F together to Vermont SC

09-10-07 VSC received our papers

*****~I-130 Timeline~*****

01-02-08 Check Cashed

01-04-08 Received NOA1

*****~I-129F Timeline~*****

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

To Bad

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

I feel sad for the parents. If they were my parents I would want them to stay at the same house with me especially

that they are already old and dont speak english. That would be too hard for them to move out by themselves. How long

they have been here?

They can go on public assistance but whoever signed the I-864 will be responsible for any cost of such.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What happens if they get sick?

Time to go home.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes it was the son who sponsored them. They have been here for 3 years now. The father got sick last year and had to go to the hospital and when he was given the bill he claimed he had no income so he could not pay for the hospital charges. The parents think they will be eligible for what they call "retirement pay" from the US government. But I have told them they would not be eligible for social security or medicare since they have never worked here. Both receive a small retirement from the Chinese givernment and we have suggested they go back to China. I think being put in an apartment by their son is going to be very sad and lonely for them.

I-130...CR-1

Lifting Conditions

Citizenship

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Nothing prevents them from getting public benefits, but the cost of these benefits will be collected from the sponsor...

Maybe they should consider going back to China - living in a foreign country when you're in your 60's and aren't entitled to any retirement is not a very smart decision, imho.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline

We met with them last night and strongly suggested they go back to China. They have another son back in China and can live in his home as most elderly Chinese parents do. We told them their USC son had abandoned his obligation to them and that even if they do get into subsidized housing they will have problems obtaining food stamps and health care.

Yes, in theory, according to the I-864 the sponsor is required to reimburse any agency that provides means-based public benefits. But what are the chances that this ever happens? To get into subsidized housing the elderly Chinese couple fills out a form which requires their SSN, which they both have. It asks for their income, which is zero. This form is sent to HUD, HUD hopefully verifies with IRS that they have no income and they are finished!!!! Where does USCIS come into the picture? They told us they know other Chinese parents who are in subsidized housing so it is obvious they have found a way to exploit the system.

By the way, the son paid nothing for the father's hospital charges, they were just "forgiven".

Nothing prevents them from getting public benefits, but the cost of these benefits will be collected from the sponsor...

Maybe they should consider going back to China - living in a foreign country when you're in your 60's and aren't entitled to any retirement is not a very smart decision, imho.

I-130...CR-1

Lifting Conditions

Citizenship

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My Brother in Law is in Hospital, nearly died, because he could not afford his meds.

Yes they will get emergency treatment, but at their age that might be too late.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I'd move into the HUD housing if I were them and send the government after the son.

What a bunch of maroons. You don't sponsor someone then 'give up' three years later.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Wow, the son is really non filial.

According USCIS, receiving public housing benefits under some circumstances are not considered public charge (eg. financial circumstances has changed, etc) for the beneficiaries. Therefore, the USCIS may not deport the beneficiaries (if they already has approved GC) but may go after their sponsor of the I-864 later.

miker32us: You may want to print this USCIS bulletin for your neighbors to read (in Chinese):

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/ChinFS.pdf

Edited by KPY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.