pax

Ladies, Help me Find a Dress!

19 posts in this topic

I need a dress for spring, and I'm being frustrated at every turn. Most of the stores I would usually peruse have nothing I like. I'm looking for something that's not totally conservative, but doesn't show a *ton* of skin; something that comes in petite sizes; something feminine and classic without looking dull. I like pink. I like light fabrics and subtle patterns. And I want to spend less than $100.

So please share your shopping secrets--and don't say eBay, because I've already looked there. :( Bluefly and Overstock were duds, too. I don't have the patience or the time to comb through 5,000+ dresses on Amazon. What I'd really like is a good place to look for either affordable boutique clothing or designer closeouts online--I don't have a lot of time to shop right now!

Thanks! :)

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

jcrew sale items

They have wedding stuff on sale for super cheap. They have a little bit of everything and they are high quality!

Oh that link is the page for XS and S sale dresses. You can choose other sizes if you need to! Just navigate the sale pages!! I got a bridesmaid dress from them and it's awesome

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

I liked some of their things! :) I don't need a super-formal dress...just something basically to wear to church on Easter, maybe to my best friend's graduation.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

--Neil Finn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

sometimes Land's End has some nice things -- they are usually separates, but occasionally they have some nice dresses. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
jcrew sale items

They have wedding stuff on sale for super cheap. They have a little bit of everything and they are high quality!

Oh that link is the page for XS and S sale dresses. You can choose other sizes if you need to! Just navigate the sale pages!! I got a bridesmaid dress from them and it's awesome

Ohhhh.... Beautiful dresses! THANK YOU for the link! :thumbs:

Ksenia

J1-F1-AOS-N400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Are you in PA??? If so............try Ross or Marshall's, you may have to dig around a bit, but they do have designer clothes in petite sizes :)

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Octa and Nicu

I-129F Interview..........04-25-2005

US Entry......................05-19-2005

Marriage......................07-16-2005

Filed AOS/EAD..............08-16-2005

Received EAD................11-28-2005

AOS Interview...............05-15-2006

Received Green Card.....05-25-2006

The way to find out if you love someone or not, is by talking to them.

The more you talk to them the more you either hate them or love them.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Abby....here is a link that I'm considering buying from. Its very feminine, but then I like vintage clothing :)

http://www.vintagestyleclothing.com/catalog10A.html

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

I love that link, Karen! :) Gotta bookmark that for the wedding.

Okay, I feel like a complete loser because apparently pink is VERY much "out" for this spring. :angry: Not that I care, but it makes finding something that much harder. I did look at J. Crew and I loved the Grace dress, and I'd almost consider not getting something pink for how pretty that dress was (and the price, too!)

Irishgirl...yes, I am in PA! Wheeee. :) We have both Ross and Marshall's nearby, as well as TJ Maxx and AJ Wright. I went to TJ Maxx today and came up empty, although from the look of things they did not have much of their spring stuff out yet. I might have to peep into Marshall's--it's right next to Target and I practically live at Target. (And yes, I have looked at Target. Nothin', which surprises me, because I almost always see something there that I like. I'm no clothes snob!)

The GREAT irony of the whole situation is that my side job is at a clothing store. I just don't see anything there that I like, either. So my search continues.

--Neil Finn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

if u like long skirts or dresses coldwatercreek.com is nice and they are under 100.00 :)

5-2005/ met online

11-4-2005/ went to see him in republic of georgia

11-25-2005 returned home

01-17-2006/ sent I129F to <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->nsc<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->

01-23-2006/ packet was recieved and signed for

01-23-2006 / NOA 1

01-26-2006/ check was cashed

01-31-2006/ recieved NOA 1 in mail

03-23-2006/ NOA 2 - oh yeah

03-27-2006/ touched

03-30-2006/ recieved NOA 2 in mail

04-07-2006-petition was sent to nvc

04-19-2006/petition got entered into nvc system recieved case number

05-30-2006/ interview date ( yahoo)

05-30-2006/he was put on a/p

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You should also try Anthropologie-sometimes they are a bit expensive, but the sales are amazing. They have the cutest floral prints-ever!!!

I found an amazing dress at Marshall's a few months ago, it was so inexpensive, but I had seen it on the net for a ton of money. Gotta love those discount stores.

I work for a large retail chain but I wouldn't send ya there :no:;)

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Filed: Timeline

Well looks like everyone said what I was going to say, Chadwicks, Marshalls, Ross and TJ Max....alos I love JC pennys online or in the store they have great sales

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/categoryall.a...ID=EXTERNAL|597

10/25/2005 - I-129F packet mailed to TSC

11/03/2005 - NOA 1 from CSC

11/07/2005 - Check cashed

02/03/2006 - NOA2 by e-mail

05/03/2006 - Leave for Jamaica

05/09/2006 - Interview "VISA APPROVED"

05/15/2006 - Return from Jamaica

05/22/2006 - Called off the wedding and Adrian left

LOL, I'm in retail too! And I just checked out Anthropologie...I had forgotten how much I like their stuff. I did see a few things I liked--I'm going to keep an eye out for them on eBay. :)

Keep those suggestions coming, ladies! I know how much some of you enjoy shopping!!!

--Neil Finn

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
LOL, I'm in retail too! And I just checked out Anthropologie...I had forgotten how much I like their stuff. I did see a few things I liked--I'm going to keep an eye out for them on eBay. :)

Keep those suggestions coming, ladies! I know how much some of you enjoy shopping!!!

Shopshop.com

I bought my Bridesmaids dresses there. They were awesome , fit perfectly, relatively cheap and were delivered very fast!

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy