flavorgreentea

can i file k-1?

26 posts in this topic

if i only met her once, then i must file the petition before the two year anniversary of meeting. why is that? is there any consequence? please help!!!

If you file the petition after the two-year anniversary of the last time that you met your fiance, then USCIS will deny your petition as that is a requirement for the K-1.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

If you have not seen your fiancee in person since Sept 2005, then you'd better get that petition in SOON!

The requirement is that you must have seen your fiancee IN PERSON at least one time in the two years prior to filing your petition. And you have to be able to prove it (with passport stamps, airline boarding passes, photos, or some other kind of evidence that you submit with your petition).

If you can't get the petition in on time, or you don't have any evidence of meeting, then you may consider going to visit her again (keeping in mind the requirement for evidence of meeting) and then file your petition.

Good luck!

Maya

Edited by maya62

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You technically could file a K-1 after knowing someone for one day. The restriction s having met them within two years not having known them for two years!

i would like to clarify myself. i have met my fiancee from sept. 2005 and this coming next month is the 2 years anniversary of having met her not knowing her. do you think im still qualify for k-1???

If you only met her once, then you must file the petition before the two-year anniversary of meeting.

If you are worried about not knowing her long enough, stop worrying. You misunderstood the reference to two years.

thank you pushbrk!!! base on your statement if i only met her once, then i must file the petition before the two year anniversary of meeting. why is that? is there any consequence? please help!!!

As has already been stated, the consequence is your petition will be denied. Not only must you have seen her in the past two years, but you must show evidence you were at least in her country during that time. Passport stamps are the most common primary evidence.

If you can't file right away or in time, simply visit her again and document that visit when you file.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You technically could file a K-1 after knowing someone for one day. The restriction s having met them within two years not having known them for two years!

i would like to clarify myself. i have met my fiancee from sept. 2005 and this coming next month is the 2 years anniversary of having met her not knowing her. do you think im still qualify for k-1???

If you only met her once, then you must file the petition before the two-year anniversary of meeting.

If you are worried about not knowing her long enough, stop worrying. You misunderstood the reference to two years.

thank you pushbrk!!! base on your statement if i only met her once, then i must file the petition before the two year anniversary of meeting. why is that? is there any consequence? please help!!!

As has already been stated, the consequence is your petition will be denied. Not only must you have seen her in the past two years, but you must show evidence you were at least in her country during that time. Passport stamps are the most common primary evidence.

If you can't file right away or in time, simply visit her again and document that visit when you file.

Just a niggly detail - its not necessary to meet in the SO country. The meeting could occur anywhere.

Timeline

Just a niggly detail - its not necessary to meet in the SO country. The meeting could occur anywhere.

Yes, that was poorly written. I started to write "in the same country" but if it's her home country, she doesn't have to prove she was there, you "at least have to prove you were in her country". I should have added, "or prove you were both in the same other country." and, I guess, "or that she was in the US." If it's the US or the fiance(e)'s country, only one person does the proving. Now, I think the bases are all covered. :yes:

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Yes, that was poorly written. I started to write "in the same country" but if it's her home country, she doesn't have to prove she was there, you "at least have to prove you were in her country". I should have added, "or prove you were both in the same other country." and, I guess, "or that she was in the US." If it's the US or the fiance(e)'s country, only one person does the proving. Now, I think the bases are all covered. :yes:

lol :thumbs: perhaps also -

"you have been together physically within the last 2 years"

Timeline

lol :thumbs: perhaps also -

"you have been together physically within the last 2 years"

Well, yes, or so it would seem. Since they consider pictures as secondary evidence and passport stamps as primary evidence, as a practical matter, many people get by with only proving the in country part of the meeting, hence the "at least" in my explanation.

It did just occur to me though that some (like Canucks) may not have passport stamps.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You could, but proving a bonified relationship will be difficult.

Maybe yes maybe no... depends on what you have done post filing the petition....

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
can i file k-1 if i have only known the person for almost 2 years and to make it exactly 2 years do i have to wait for three weeks before i can submit the form??? because in three weeks is our 2 years aniversary...

I have a question that seems over looked.

Since it is coming on your 2 year mark.

Is that the last time you have seen your fiance?

If so that would be a problem for you.

The rule states you have to have been with your fiance within 2 years.

If so you should plan a visit with her again soon.

i can simply answer your question. me and my fiancee are dating for almost two years now and after 3 weeks we are looking at 2 years anniversary. my fiancee is actually here with me in the us. basically, she's having her 3 months vacation from japan. however, she must to go back next month before her i-94 get expired. NOW do yo think there's a problem of filing k-1???

radsr2002 you've been truly a helpful person and i thank you for doing so...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
Its funny how so many people think this at first. I remember thinking the same thing in the beginning.

I think the wording in the USCIS application about this is a bit confusing, especially if your first language isn't English.

If you think USCIS is confusing, try IRS :D

I want to find a voracious, small-minded predator and name it after the IRS.

- Robert Bakker

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline
...my fiancee is actually here with me in the us.... NOW do yo think there's a problem of filing k-1???

Based on what you've told us, no. Suggest doing a quick assessment of the PROOF that you all have of meeting within the past two years. If you feel like you could use a little more proof (or just plain evidence of this visit in particular), run out and take a few pics together and with family/friends and/or together in front of a well-known landmark or two. You could always do the classic photo with today's paper...

Bon voyage to your fiancee (tell her to save her boarding passes!), and best of luck to the two of you.

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.