jonkam

Fiance Disapeared !!

346 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Regarding EdintheUK's question, you mentioned your friends had been warning you about something. What was it they saw? (no problem if it's private, but might be relevant to the advice you're asking?)

Absolutely - Something good can come of this situation, the warning signs can be recognised by other USC's before the disingenuous fiancee travels to the USA........

"One person with a belief is equal to a force of 99 who have only interests."

John Stuart Mill

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Pretty sure his friends gave him the standard stereotype horror story warnings about foreigners doing whatever it takes to come to the US. The stories about people who come over to kill their future spouse, marry for a green card/naturalization and divorce them, get pregnant by their lover back home and come to the US and say the kid is the USC's, etc., etc.

The OP already stated his friends didn't know this girl, but unfortunately he is in one of those nightmare situations where the fiancee had ulterior motives for coming here and used the USC for a visa for whatever reason.

Pretty sure his friends gave him the standard stereotype horror story warnings about foreigners doing whatever it takes to come to the US. The stories about people who come over to kill their future spouse, marry for a green card/naturalization and divorce them, get pregnant by their lover back home and come to the US and say the kid is the USC's, etc., etc.

The OP already stated his friends didn't know this girl, but unfortunately he is in one of those nightmare situations where the fiancee had ulterior motives for coming here and used the USC for a visa for whatever reason.

I'm not sure those are 'standard' stories exactly......... my friends were all very suppotive of me moving because I gave them the chance to meet my future-wife.

If the friends didn't meet the girl, then maybe the advice should be that in the future friends do get to meet their intended.........

John Stuart Mill

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I understand that there is a 90 day expiration. If I report her now will this get revolked. She technically has around 80 days. If I report her NOW will it automatically go into the computers that she is illegal or will she have the 80 days until she is considered illegal.

I have never been married so I not sure how it works, paperwork etc.

Is there a chance, if there is another man, that they could apply for a licence and get married?

What happens when a person applies for a licence to get married using a K-1? Will they check that the names of the beneficiary match with the petitioner, before they issue a licence?

How long was she here with you before she disappeared?

I'm not sure those are 'standard' stories exactly......... my friends were all very suppotive of me moving because I gave them the chance to meet my future-wife.

If the friends didn't meet the girl, then maybe the advice should be that in the future friends do get to meet their intended.........

Hang on... I'm being nostalgic now...... sorry....... obviously I am the non-USC so my points about my friends meeting the wife aren't exactly pertinent to this case.

However, my sentiment remains, yourfriends care about you and know you....... so always give them a cahnce to get to know your intended.

John Stuart Mill

Timeline

Just speculation, She may have met someone else after the petition was filed or after your visit to her country. That person may have visited her in her country. Another thought is perhaps she has a girlfriend. It has happened before. Then again, maybe she got cold feet. Hopefully you can find out the truth.. Good luck

Timeline
Just speculation, She may have met someone else after the petition was filed or after your visit to her country. That person may have visited her in her country. Another thought is perhaps she has a girlfriend. It has happened before. Then again, maybe she got cold feet. Hopefully you can find out the truth.. Good luck

...and that's just it. This threads going to on into oblivion about people's speculation and advice based on very little amount of details by the OP. Just like regular questions people have about the process, if they don't offer enough information about their case or situation, it seems futile to offer any advice that is abundantly more to what the OP has stated.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

I have a question? Where did she get the money to travel all over the US?

Your guess is as good as mine. She comes from a family of limited means. Someone is helping her. Who I don't know.

Hate to leave, but i have to go meet a client for a short time.

I do thank everyone for the info and support. The past couple of days I have been losing it. I Do feel beter and more informed about my situation.I don't really have any family and i B.S.'ed to my friends about the situation. I told them she had a family emergency. They had been warning me from the begining. I just didn't want the "I TOLD YOU SO" responses. They never knew her, but like most they only knew about the horror stories. And now I'm in one.

Keep your head up. Tell the friends. The good ones will give you just a little grief before taking you out for a beer and offering their own advice and giving you the chance to vent in person. They should understand your feelings and cut you some slack.

You're still alive and healthy with your life to live. Sure you got duped and this is definitely a situation you will need time to think through and resolve. It may even put a ding in your nice guy persona and make you far more cynical, but keep in mind that deception and these things happen to plenty of people all the time.

Remind yourself she at least did you the favor of running off at the start. I think it is far worse getting married in good faith, when your partner is just counting the days until they are naturalized and then they divorce you and take whatever they can from you emotionally and financially.

Be glad you are not that Australian farmer who went to Africa to collect his $85K dowry for marrying African royalty. That guy got kidnapped at the airport and almost got executed while being held for ransom.

Did his friends or family meet the woman in question previous to the 'vanishing'? People are generally quite perceptive, it seems unlikely that no one would not spot some early signs in this kind of circumstance.

Regarding EdintheUK's question, you mentioned your friends had been warning you about something. What was it they saw? (no problem if it's private, but might be relevant to the advice you're asking?)

My friend's had been warning me not because of anything in particular. Just the fact that she was foriegn and not currently residing in the U.S.. As with most news, only the negative stories get told. Be it abuse by a U.S. citizen or a scam by the beneficiary. It is very rare for the positive cases to make headlines. So when people hear you want to marry a forigner, they automatically think "scam". I am sure other members here have had to put up with negativety by family or friends. I surely can't be the first and only one. In hindsight, there were a few things that struck me as odd, but we are all odd in our way so I didn't dwell on it. I should have been more cynical, but its not my nature.

Timeline

Your guess is as good as mine. She comes from a family of limited means. Someone is helping her. Who I don't know.

I do thank everyone for the info and support. The past couple of days I have been losing it. I Do feel beter and more informed about my situation.I don't really have any family and i B.S.'ed to my friends about the situation. I told them she had a family emergency. They had been warning me from the begining. I just didn't want the "I TOLD YOU SO" responses. They never knew her, but like most they only knew about the horror stories. And now I'm in one.

Keep your head up. Tell the friends. The good ones will give you just a little grief before taking you out for a beer and offering their own advice and giving you the chance to vent in person. They should understand your feelings and cut you some slack.

You're still alive and healthy with your life to live. Sure you got duped and this is definitely a situation you will need time to think through and resolve. It may even put a ding in your nice guy persona and make you far more cynical, but keep in mind that deception and these things happen to plenty of people all the time.

Remind yourself she at least did you the favor of running off at the start. I think it is far worse getting married in good faith, when your partner is just counting the days until they are naturalized and then they divorce you and take whatever they can from you emotionally and financially.

Be glad you are not that Australian farmer who went to Africa to collect his $85K dowry for marrying African royalty. That guy got kidnapped at the airport and almost got executed while being held for ransom.

Did his friends or family meet the woman in question previous to the 'vanishing'? People are generally quite perceptive, it seems unlikely that no one would not spot some early signs in this kind of circumstance.

My friend's had been warning me not because of anything in particular. Just the fact that she was foriegn and not currently residing in the U.S.. As with most news, only the negative stories get told. Be it abuse by a U.S. citizen or a scam by the beneficiary. It is very rare for the positive cases to make headlines. So when people hear you want to marry a forigner, they automatically think "scam". I am sure other members here have had to put up with negativety by family or friends. I surely can't be the first and only one. In hindsight, there were a few things that struck me as odd, but we are all odd in our way so I didn't dwell on it. I should have been more cynical, but its not my nature.

OP: Can you please answer my question: How long has she been here in the U.S.? (What was her POE date?)

Thank god there are only a few of these stories here on VJ!!!

When I decided to move forward, i read a few of the stories here and other places. It is natural to be a little worried about these things. But, I never, in a million years, thought it would be me in a situation like this.

OP: Can you please answer my question: How long has she been here in the U.S.? (What was her POE date?)

She arrived here about 10 days ago. I took a little time off from work. we had a nice time, she seemed happy and all that. The day I went back to work, "poof" gone. That was a few days ago.

Pretty good and close to the truth.

Timeline
She arrived here about 10 days ago. I took a little time off from work. we had a nice time, she seemed happy and all that. The day I went back to work, "poof" gone. That was a few days ago.

Have your questions been answered here about what to do at this point?

This all sounds like a story narrative to me.

Funny, that.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.