one...two...tree

Do You Speak Any Foreign Languages?

Do You Speak Any Foreign Languages?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Besides Your Native Tongue and/or English, Do You Speak Any Foreign Languages?

• No
    • Yes
  2. 2. Did You Take Any Additional Foreign Languages Classes Beyond Any Required Courses in HS or College?

• No
    • Yes
  3. 3. What Language(s) Do You and Your Spouse Speak? (Even if just a little)

• Chinese (all dialects)
    • Spanish
    • French
    • German
    • Portugese
    • Hindi
    • Arabic
    • Filipino (all dialects)
    • Vietnamese
    • Japanese
    • Swahili
    • Russian

120 posts in this topic

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I took German from Grade 2 to Grade 9... I tried to take German by correspondence in Grade 10 but I didn't get very far because it is kind of hard to learn a language without a teacher....

my grandparents all spoke German, one set spoke Low German and the other set spoke High German (they all knew and spoke English too though)...

my parents spoke German too but they only spoke German at home when they were trying to hide their conversation from us, like when they were discussing Christmas Presents etc... they stopped that though when they realized that I could basically understand what they were saying ...:lol:

when my grandparents or whomever spoke German I could make out a word here and there but I couldn't hold a conversation in German even if my life depended on it :P

oops didn't read the 3rd question carefully....

my hubby can speak some Spanish and he understands a lot of it but he is not fluent in Spanish....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Does the third question mean what languages do we speak with each other? Or just all the languages we speak in general?

I think it means all the languages you speak in general :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Does the third question mean what languages do we speak with each other? Or just all the languages we speak in general?

In general. I know a little Spanish so I checked that one.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We moved from Quebec to Alberta when I was 8. I regret that we couldn't have stayed long enough for me to be fluent in French. We went to English school and took French classes- but you picked it up easily living there.

I know lots of words in French- but I suck at putting sentences together- past tense, future tense- I struggle there.

I took a Spanish class a few years ago- it was fun. I learned some basics that come in handy for travelling- how to order food, ask how much things are, etc.

Edited by Stacey33

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I studied Italian throughout college, was just one class short of a minor. Then lived in Italy for 3 years, so I think I'm pretty fluent, although sometimes I find it difficult to watch the news.

Wadi's native language is Arabic, then he also speaks Italian, some Spanish, he used to speak French fluently, but he's lost it mostly, and now is learning English.

i took German all 4 yrs of high school & thru 210 in college...i know bits of Spanish also... but i am certainly not fluent in either...

my hubby speaks 4 languages: Dutch, German, French, & English

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
i took German all 4 yrs of high school & thru 210 in college...i know bits of Spanish also... but i am certainly not fluent in either...

my hubby speaks 4 languages: Dutch, German, French, & English

Jinky's cousin from the Netherlands visited us last weekend along with her boyfriend. Even though the cousin is half Filipina, her parents chose to speak Dutch and English at home and not her mother's native tongue. She and her boyfriend both speak several languages as well - they said it's taught in school. That's awesome. :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hubby lived in Germany so he speaks german and english. I had 1 semester I think or maybe 2 in college of spanish, but I really can't speak much. I know how to pronounce words if I read them out loud and I can understand most of it, but I can't really talk or compose sentences, besides the basic, of course, like muchas gracias amigo :lol: .

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I studied French and German at school and university, then studied Italian and lived in Italy for 8 years so am near mother tongue level. Taught myself Spanish and have practised it often when travelling in Spain and Latin America.

Hubby speaks Spanish and is learning Italian. We've both started learning Vietnamese (which is HARD!) in preparation for adopting a baby from Vietnam. This will happen in 18 to 24 months so we have plenty of time to learn the basics. The idea is to be able to communicate with her right from the start so that the adjustment will be less scary for her. We are also making a commitment to keep a connection with her culture so we intend to travel with her back to Vietnam throughout her childhood and it would be very helpful to speak at least a little of the language.

Of course we couldn't possibly expect to speak Vietnamese well enough to teach it to her ourselves, although we will have some songs and maybe stories on CD for her to listen to so she remains familiar with the sounds if not the meanings of words.

Actually planning on bringing her up bilingual English/Italian.

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Many trips between US, Canada & Europe.

March 31 During a meeting in Vancouver, John proposed & I said YES!!!

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Aug 22 Email notification of NOA2.

Sep 12 Received letter to say application would be forwarded to US Embassy.

Nov 23 Returned packet 3 to Embassy

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 1 Interview. APPROVED!

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 6 Sent AOS application

May 7 Honeymoon

May 23 NOA date for AOS, EAD & AP

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 15 RFE for AOS mailed

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 14 Interview. Success!

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 08 I-751 to remove conditions sent to CSC

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Jan 12 Received greencard

...and list any additional languages, including specific dialects.

I had english and latin in school (don't really know much latin anymore). Because I grew up in germany I had to learn that language just to get around and my actual mother language is polish. I use that to talk to my family.

AOS & EAD timeline

07/20/07 filed for AOS

08/02/07 check cashed

08/23/07 biometrics appt.

08/23/07 RFE

08/27/07 NOA1 for AOS

08/27/07 NOA1 for EAD

09/13/07 biometrics appt. for EAD

10/03/07 EAD card production ordered, 2 emails from cris

10/15/07 2 emails from cris regarding approved EAD

10/15/07 Finally mailed off RFE!!!!!!!!!

10/17/07 EAD in mail

10/19/07 AOS showes up online :-)

11/28/07 Transfer to CSC

12/17/07 Email from CRIS... card production ordered... ;-)

ROC

09/23/09 filled for ROC... yay, finally

09/25/09 "Item delivered to VT and signed for by D Renaud"

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

My mom's parents immigrated from Byelorussia and were Russian/English speakers. My mom and aunts were primarily English speakers here in the USA, but spoke passable Russian even though they never had formal instruction. After my grandparents died they never really had any reason to speak Russian to each other as they were all married to WASPs. They never spoke Russian except with my grandparents, so they kind of forgot it as the years went by.

I have learned a lot of Russian words (mostly nouns) from my grandparents, my wife, and on visits to see my mom's relatives in Belarus. I also know some short phrases, but I'm not even close to being fluent in Russian. I do know the Cyrillic alphabet well and can read Russian words.

Growing up in Texas I took basic Spanish intermittently from grade school through high school, but never took it seriously. I'm not fluent at all, but know a lot of words and short phrases.

The bottom line is that I live in the English world 99% of the time and haven't had any incentive to learn another language to the point of fluency. My Russian wife was an English teacher and speaks perfect English, so there is no pressing incentive for me to further my limited Russian.

I would like to speak Russian fluently, but at my age it is not easy to teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995