Pinay Wife

K1 Can Work?

38 posts in this topic

Dr_LHA,

A few months back someone was making exactly the same arguments. I thought we had got that one straightened out, and you've got me worried that PatientlyWaiting is the same person starting in again.

I've been in this argument with about 4-5 different people over the last year. Certainly I get a feeling of deja vu, but I think its just because every person makes the same mistake of reading the SSA website and thinking its the last word on Employment Authorisation.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Dr_LHA,

A few months back someone was making exactly the same arguments. I thought we had got that one straightened out, and you've got me worried that PatientlyWaiting is the same person starting in again.

Yodrak

Nope - that one was Johnnie_Oz. But it seems to always be the same - it doesn't matter how much totally accurate information the knowledgable people here post, or how hard they try to to explain. It always ends up being the same argument along the lines of "show me proof in the SSA manual" even after they've been told that the SSA doesn't govern work authorization.

Filed: Timeline

kitkat,

Ahhh yes - thanks.

Yodrak

Dr_LHA,

Yodrak

Nope - that one was Johnnie_Oz. ....

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

These are definitely complicated issues. I remember in the beginning I was confused about this point as well.

8 CFR 274a.12(a) states that all aliens listed under 274a.12(a) are “employment authorized incident to status” and that they are “authorized to be employed in the United States without restrictions as to location or type of employment as a condition of their admission or subsequent change to one of the indicated classes.” K-1 Fiancees are one of the classes listed under 274a.12(a) at (a)(6). Therefore, K-1 Fiancees belong to the classes of aliens who are “employment authorized incident to status.”

8 CFR 274a.12(a) at (a)(6)

(6) An alien admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant fiance´ or fiance´e pursuant to section 101(a)(15)(K)(i) of the Act, or an alien admitted as a child of such alien, for the period of admission in that status, as evidenced by an employment authorization document issued by the Service;

The important point here is the distinction between an alien having employment authorization versus an alien having evidence of employment authorization.

So - yes, the K-1 can work. However, for the K-1 to show EVIDENCE that they can work to an employer, they need an employment authorization document.

Look at it this way. If you are over 21, you are legally allowed to consume alcohol. However, if you do not bring evidence that you are over 21, you won't be able to buy alcohol.

So, as an example, the RM 00203.500 of the SSA that you referenced is just mentioning that yes, as a 21 year old person, you can consume alcohol legally. They are not talking about the legality of purchasing the alcohol. I hope that helps.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

WOW that is an excellent example -- really helps make it very easy to understand!!! Bravo bszoom42!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Here is some information from the Dept of State website http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty..._2994.html#Work

Can a K-1 Visa Holder Work in the United States?

As a K-1 visa holder you may file Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization with the USCIS office that serves the area where you live for a work permit (employment authorization document). For more information see How Do I Get a Work Permit (Employment Authorization Document)?

and from USCIS website http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Who is Eligible?

* The specific categories that require an Employment Authorization Document include (but are not limited to) asylees and asylum seekers; refugees; students seeking particular types of employment; applicants to adjust to permanent residence status; people in or applying for temporary protected status; fiancés of American citizens; and dependents of foreign government officials. Please see Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) for a complete list of the categories of people who must apply for an Employment Authorization Document to be able to work in the United States.

What really bothers me is that many people entering the US thru JFK receive the temp EAD with or without asking for it yet at almost any other POE they will not give it. This does not seem right at all. If it can be done at one POE it should be available at all. That's like applying for the EAD while waiting for AOS and being told they only give those out to people living in New Jersey.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Look at it this way. If you are over 21, you are legally allowed to consume alcohol. However, if you do not bring evidence that you are over 21, you won't be able to buy alcohol.

An excellent analogy!

Thank you for your posts Yodrak and Lal. Those are the kind of answers that I am looking for.

So you promise to stop posting wrong information as fact now? ;)

Well now, how do I know when I'm wrong if I do not post it for you to correct? ;)

Next time, however, it would be nice if the " experienced" ones can make corrections in the same manner as bszoom42 and Yodrak. Not a hint at all of sarcasm and arrogance in their post. Plain and simple words ~ polite and straight to the point.

People will appreciate you more for that :yes:

Filed: Other Timeline
Thank you for your posts Yodrak and Lal. Those are the kind of answers that I am looking for.

So you promise to stop posting wrong information as fact now? ;)

Well now, how do I know when I'm wrong if I do not post it for you to correct? ;)

Next time, however, it would be nice if the " experienced" ones can make corrections in the same manner as bszoom42 and Yodrak. Not a hint at all of sarcasm and arrogance in their post. Plain and simple words ~ polite and straight to the point.

People will appreciate you more for that :yes:

PW -

While links are nice, there is something to be said for googling on one's own. Many times I have gone seeking the 'official' rhetoric after a long discussion.

Becca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
What really bothers me is that many people entering the US thru JFK receive the temp EAD with or without asking for it yet at almost any other POE they will not give it. This does not seem right at all. If it can be done at one POE it should be available at all. That's like applying for the EAD while waiting for AOS and being told they only give those out to people living in New Jersey.

I understand the frustration, but keep this in mind.

It will take two to three weeks to obtain the SSN card, then you have to interview and go through the whole process. The stamp is only good till the expiration of the I-94. So it really does not mean much.

The better course is to get legally married immediately and apply for the EAD concurrently with the AOS, this way the EAD will be good for one year.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
"experienced" ones can make corrections in the same manner as bszoom42 and Yodrak.

Thanks for the compliment, but I am by no means nearly as experienced as Yodrak, Kitkat1 or Dr_LHA.

These members have been helping for a long long time - i am a newbie as compared to them. I just get lucky every now and again :)

Filed: Other Timeline
"experienced" ones can make corrections in the same manner as bszoom42 and Yodrak.

Thanks for the compliment, but I am by no means nearly as experienced as Yodrak, Kitkat1 or Dr_LHA.

These members have been helping for a long long time - i am a newbie as compared to them. I just get lucky every now and again :)

From what I've seen, you're contributing nicely.

<I also posted this question in another thread>

Can our experienced members shed light on this please?

Situation: K1 with SSN can do manicure and pedicure. Her friends and neighbors come to her house and pay her to do their mani/pedi. She makes $80/day doing this kind of stuff. The friends/neighbors are not employers but clients so there is no employer-employee relationship there. K1 wants to report her income to IRS to help with AOS as petitioner hardly meets poverty guideline.

Question: Is she violating her K1 status by working without EAD? Remember, she is self-employed. Is she EAD-exempt because of her self-employment?

Edited by PatientlyWaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.