Pinay Wife

K1 Can Work?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

PatientlyWaiting,

Don't know if she's EAD-exempt, but it isn't going to cause her any problems with her AOS other than, perhaps, a tongue-lashing.

Also she certainly is doing the right thing by reporting the income to the IRS. Many people wouldn't.

Yodrak

<I also posted this question in another thread>

Can our experienced members shed light on this please?

Situation: K1 with SSN can do manicure and pedicure. Her friends and neighbors come to her house and pay her to do their mani/pedi. She makes $80/day doing this kind of stuff. The friends/neighbors are not employers but clients so there is no employer-employee relationship there. K1 wants to report her income to IRS to help with AOS as petitioner hardly meets poverty guideline.

Question: Is she violating her K1 status by working without EAD? Remember, she is self-employed. Is she EAD-exempt because of her self-employment?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Any type of employment needs a EAD.. self employed or otherwise... if you are receiving payment for your service then that is employment...

Kez

I know this one has come up before and I cannot remember the consensus. Although you are receiving payment for services, what about the fact that an I-9 is not required so no proof in the form of an EAD is necessary? It *seems* like it's possible to be self-employed and not be breaking any employment authorization rules - and of course the income needs to be reported and self-employment taxes need to be paid.

Might be a good question for a lawyer.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Any type of employment needs a EAD.. self employed or otherwise... if you are receiving payment for your service then that is employment...

Kez

I know this one has come up before and I cannot remember the consensus. Although you are receiving payment for services, what about the fact that an I-9 is not required so no proof in the form of an EAD is necessary? It *seems* like it's possible to be self-employed and not be breaking any employment authorization rules - and of course the income needs to be reported and self-employment taxes need to be paid.

I think we came to:

If they are married and file jointly, there is no real way to clarify who earned the additional income.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Look at it this way. If you are over 21, you are legally allowed to consume alcohol. However, if you do not bring evidence that you are over 21, you won't be able to buy alcohol.

So, as an example, the RM 00203.500 of the SSA that you referenced is just mentioning that yes, as a 21 year old person, you can consume alcohol legally. They are not talking about the legality of purchasing the alcohol. I hope that helps.

This is a fantastic explanation...thank you!

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Kez

I think we came to:

If they are married and file jointly, there is no real way to clarify who earned the additional income.

Yes and No... Depends on whicj method you report the income. On at least one of the most common methods you do indicate who "earned" the income.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Kez

I think we came to:

Yes and No... Depends on whicj method you report the income. On at least one of the most common methods you do indicate who "earned" the income.

I think this is where the thread stalled. If it were me, I would file in a way that does not discriminate who earns the income. (ie, a home base business. )

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.