Citizenship vs. Permanent Resident

45 posts in this topic

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Only if the male in question is less than 26 at the time of filing for LPR.

Yes, but only males between the gaes of 18 to 26 can be drafted.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Any age could be drafted.

Or gender.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

AS I see it the biggest con for becoming a US citizenship is that if you return to your home country and earn more than $80,000, you will be taxed double for the amount you earn over that amount.

This isn't true. The IRS gives you a tax credit for taxes paid in other countries.

The US has tax treaties with many - but not all - countries that address the issues of double taxation. You still have to file returns and it can get complicated as some expenses do count for deductions and others don't. Generally, you get credit for taxes paid, but not necessarily for the deductions allowed in other countries. Tax treaties are being rewritten regularly and also address issues such as how much retirement benefits you can claim as taxable and non-taxable, which will eventually be of concern to any US resident/citizen who has income earned and benefits accrued in a foreign country. You might want to check and see what tax treaties currently exist between the US and your own country of origin.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Looking further into the future. I know I can claim a UK Pension in the US as a PR, I am not sure if this is still the case if I became a USC

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

Or gender.

Theoretically yes, but the likelihood of ANY draft at all is so small because it would be politically disastrous. And even if it did come to that, males older than 26 or any women would be very far down the list.

And for purposes of our discussion, only male LPR applicants between the ages of 18 and 26 are required to register for selective service.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

One of the best advantages of being a US citizen you can TRAVEL to most places in the WORLD without the need for a visa, a few places you still need to check their embassy or consulate website regarding their visa requirement but for most places you are home free.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Or gender.

Ummm not at this time... If Congress changes the law, that's another issue.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Or gender.

Ummm not at this time... If Congress changes the law, that's another issue.

There is no draft in palce for any gender or age, you will hear all about it if one is enacted.

There is limited registration, which means not a lot in reality.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

How soon after GC can we apply for citizenship?

If you file based on marriage to a U.S. citizen it's 3 years permanant resident status and three years marriage to the U.S. citizen. I think if you file based just permanant resident status it's 5 years.

From what I understand by reading sponsorship documents it seems to me that if you have been married to a US Citizen for 3 years you can apply for naturalization regardless of the length of your permanent resident status. Even if you are a CONDITIONAL PR you can still apply for naturalization 3 years after your marriage.

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you file based on marriage to a U.S. citizen it's 3 years permanant resident status and three years marriage to the U.S. citizen. I think if you file based just permanant resident status it's 5 years.

From what I understand by reading sponsorship documents it seems to me that if you have been married to a US Citizen for 3 years you can apply for naturalization regardless of the length of your permanent resident status. Even if you are a CONDITIONAL PR you can still apply for naturalization 3 years after your marriage.

That is not totally correct, please read the following:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/Special.htm

Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

-the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;

-the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and

-the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/faq.htm#q5

When does my time as a Permanent Resident begin?

Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date is on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as Alien Registration Card). Click here to view a sample card..

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

That is not totally correct, please read the following:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/Special.htm

Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

-the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;

-the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and

-the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/faq.htm#q5

When does my time as a Permanent Resident begin?

Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date is on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as Alien Registration Card). Click here to view a sample card..

I read the link and your post.

However I found and read the I130 instructions where it reads (in article 13)

'A conditional permanent Resident is not limited to the right to apply for Naturalization, file petitions on behalf of qualifying relatives or reside permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with our nation's immigration laws.'

What do you understand from this sentence? What I understand from reading this is that a CPR can apply for Naturalization. Is that a correct reading?

On the other hand CPR status can be had for 2 years maximum. Am I right?

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Timeline

You are a CPR until your PR status is granted, with processing times that could well still be pending when you apply for Naturalisation, 90 days befor the 3 year anniversary of the GC issuance.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
What do you understand from this sentence? What I understand from reading this is that a CPR can apply for Naturalization. Is that a correct reading?

That is how I read it.

On the other hand CPR status can be had for 2 years maximum. Am I right?

Not so. As Boiler points out, a correctly filed I-751 extends your CR-1 status until it is approved (and you become IR-1) or denied (you are removed).

I just answered a similar question here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...&st=0&p=40946

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You mean no one listed this CON as being a US Citizen? What about Jury Duty? Ha ha. I've actually gotten two summons since being in the US and let off since I wasn't a citizen. When I apply to Citizenship in Oct this year, I'll have to forsee me being summoned and actually having to show up for it.

Kind of silly and little, but being a PR, give you a kind of sence of freedom not being tied down anywhere.

Now a simple PRO is that you don't have to keep remembering to renew your GC every 10 years. Saves the money (in the long term) and as you get older and more senial, the less you have to remember...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.