AnaMaria&Andrew

Just learned about drug testing. My wife takes THC via dropper 1-2x per month for migraines. Just had medical appt, interview is next week. Is she going to get denied?

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I realize that this sort of question has been asked several times before, but I ask for your forgiveness and grace. My wife and I are deeply upset at the prospect of having to wait yet another year to be together, all because of our ignorance. We have been so diligent and organized with everything else up until now. 😢

My wife had her medical appointment today. She was asked to give a urine sample tomorrow. The reason is that one of her daily medications (something homeopathic, in a dropper) that she disclosed turned out to be a cannabinoid, and we honestly didn't know. A doctor recommended it to her to help her regulate her sleep.

But the other issue is that she also takes THC in the form of a liquid, also via dropper, a couple of times per month, when she gets her migraines. It is the only thing that has helped her, without the debilitating side effects she experiences with the various other prescription medications that she has tried.

The last time that she took THC drops for a migraine was last week, and she takes the aforementioned homeopathic medication nightly, around 10-20 drops, sublingually.

At this point, after the various threads I have skimmed about this, I'm guessing that there is a high probability that she is going to get denied. Would it help if she could get a doctor's note for both the homeopathic sleep-aide and the THC drops for the migraines?

Because my wife is not a drug abuser, and she doesn't smoke anything.

Edited by AnaMaria&Andrew

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Posted (edited)

I would take her medical records showing the Doctors prescription. I do not know your Country but certainly in mine showing this was for medical purposes etc should hep.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, AnaMaria&Andrew said:

But the other issue is that she also takes THC in the form of a liquid, also via dropper, a couple of times per month, when she gets her migraines. It is the only thing that has helped her, without the debilitating side effects she experiences with the various other prescription medications that she has tried.

The last time that she took THC drops for a migraine was last week, and she takes the aforementioned homeopathic medication nightly, around 10-20 drops, sublingually.

Just wanted to provide updated information. Apparently, we had a miscommunication where I misunderstood due to a lost-in-translation issue.  She hasn't taken THC drops for her headaches in over a month, so that shouldn't be an issue. It's just the other medication, that happens to contain cannabinoids, which could yield a result that makes it appear that she's a drug user, when she isn't, and I was getting all worked up over the thought of her being denied a visa over a misinterpretation of test results.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Like Boiler said above it largely depends on the country she’s in. It’s typically not good testing positive for cannabinoids. Worst case she could be inadmissible, best case they look at her medical information and approve her. Because cannabis is federally illegal, it is still generally frowned upon even for medical consumption. 

In our experience (country Morocco, k1 visa), just admitting to previous use a couple of years prior (no dirty test) landed us about an 8th month or so delay in getting approval. Initially we were told it would be a year long process with 4 drug tests. Ultimately he didn’t have to complete all 4 test and was approved. 

Morocco is a difficult country for visas due to fraud. We also were not married. So hopefully things go well for you both. Best of luck. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
18 hours ago, AnaMaria&Andrew said:

Just wanted to provide updated information. Apparently, we had a miscommunication where I misunderstood due to a lost-in-translation issue.  She hasn't taken THC drops for her headaches in over a month, so that shouldn't be an issue. It's just the other medication, that happens to contain cannabinoids, which could yield a result that makes it appear that she's a drug user, when she isn't, and I was getting all worked up over the thought of her being denied a visa over a misinterpretation of test results.

She will be asked, and should answer truthfully. She should bring her applicable medical records for the panel physician to see.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.