20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello everyone I just wanted some insight on the form I-912. First is it a good idea to even file for it and if so do you do it before or during the time you file for the adjustment of status? Lastly, Me and my fiancé got married already and we want to know do we have to file right away for the green card or are we allowed to wait?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K1 is a single entry visa good for 90 days so as long as you marry and file within the 90 days you can wait.

Do you have a joint sponsor?

Have you read who is eligible for a fee waiver?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

K1 is a single entry visa good for 90 days so as long as you marry and file within the 90 days you can wait.

Do you have a joint sponsor?

Have you read who is eligible for a fee waiver?

Thank you for replying. I mean do we have to file for the green card within the 90 days they gave us or can we wait? We do have a joint sponsor, but it states I can file for it if I am on "means-tested benefit"( I am a full time college student).  

Timeline
Just now, Takolana said:

Thank you for replying. I mean do we have to file for the green card within the 90 days they gave us or can we wait? We do have a joint sponsor, but it states I can file for it if I am on "means-tested benefit"( I am a full time college student).  

After 90 days he will be out of status and deportable.

Good you have a Joint Sponsor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

After 90 days he will be out of status and deportable.

Good you have a Joint Sponsor.

Okay I understand, Thank you. Do you think I should do the I-912? if so do I file it with the AOS or before the AOS?

Timeline
Just now, Takolana said:

Okay I understand, Thank you. Do you think I should do the I-912? if so do I file it with the AOS or before the AOS?

How do you qualify?

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Takolana said:

it states I can file for it if I am on government assistance. I am on government assistance. 

But you are filing for I 485.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-912instr.pdf

3 hours ago, Takolana said:

You,  the USC,  are not the applicant of the I 485

your new spouse is

The principal applicant is usually the individual named as the beneficiary of an immigrant petition or who is otherwise qualified to adjust status

Is your spouse already getting "means tested benefits"?

5 hours ago, Takolana said:

it states I can file for it if I am on government assistance. I am on government assistance. 

DO NOT file for a fee waiver…it will not only be denied but you will end up shooting yourself in the foot…and future filing be flagged for public charge.

You convinced the Consulate ( w I-134) that you and /or joint sponsor will support your now wife. Time to pony up ( w I-864) so get a Joint Sponsor

Timeline
1 hour ago, Family said:

DO NOT file for a fee waiver…it will not only be denied but you will end up shooting yourself in the foot…and future filing be flagged for public charge.

You convinced the Consulate ( w I-134) that you and /or joint sponsor will support your now wife. Time to pony up ( w I-864) so get a Joint Sponsor

Thank you so much!! I will not file for it I just needed clarification. 

3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-912instr.pdf

You,  the USC,  are not the applicant of the I 485

your new spouse is

The principal applicant is usually the individual named as the beneficiary of an immigrant petition or who is otherwise qualified to adjust status

Is your spouse already getting "means tested benefits"?

No he is not I just wanted to know about it 

8 hours ago, Takolana said:

I would be worried about having the I485 denied.  Doesn't sound like you can afford to bring an immigrant to the US.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

I would be worried about having the I485 denied.  Doesn't sound like you can afford to bring an immigrant to the US.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

although it is allowed,  questions the ability of sponsor to care for the immigrant

And i am surprised that Casa approved the K1

If i was the officer who reviewed a I 912 request,  i would send a RFE asking "who pays her room and board?  Who pays for her health care?

what plans did u make for the care before she came to the US?   When will u gradutate"

it was important to know all that is involved in the K1 proceedure and u have prepared for the AOS 

Timeline

For the following forms if the applicant is exempt from public charge ground of inadmissibility under INA section 212(a) (4): • Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant (Form I-192); • Application for Waiver of Passport and/or Visa (Form I-193); • Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485); and • Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility (Form I-601)

How is he exempt?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.