Dashinka

Robbery, fatal shooting revealed as elaborate visa fraud scheme

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Redro said:

So are you saying the couple that got robbed and saw the robber being shot… can they request a U visa cos they witnessed a man get shot? 

This was a different story that I was telling. I read it on Reddit. 

The OP saw a robbery happen then went on Reddit to ask if that qualifies her for U visa.

This is totally unrelated to today's post.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Redro said:

So are you saying the couple that got robbed and saw the robber being shot… can they request a U visa cos they witnessed a man get shot? 

Possibly. The whole reason for the U-Visa is to allow someone who otherwise is undocumented an out so they will cooperate with the police.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

A little more clarity.  It was a bystander that killed the person committing the fake robbery, but the guy that set up the robbery is the one being charged with the murder.

Man killed in robbery staged by illegal immigrants seeking fraudulent visas

Two unnamed immigrants in Houston allegedly paid a man named William Winfrey to stage a robbery where the immigrants would be the fake victims who could then help police solve the crime. Winfrey then paid Scott to carry out the fake robbery, which was all going according to plan until a bystander stepped in to stop the fake crime by shooting and killing Scott.

After investigating the shooting, police have not yet charged the shooter with any crimes, but they did charge Winfrey with the murder of Scott. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/man-killed-in-robbery-staged-by-illegal-immigrants-seeking-fraudulent-visas/ar-BB1loUf5

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Dashinka said:

I had heard it was someone not involved in the visa fraud scheme who shot the person, but that person was a felon and should not have had a gun.  The story I found is pretty poor in details so it was not clear who did the shooting.

Staged robbery was going on at one of the gas pumps. 

At that time, there was a dude in a red car parked at the entrance of the gas station, front of car facing the entrance to the gas stations store.

The dude saw the "robbery." He got out and shot the robber. The robber died on scene. 

Later on, police found evidence from the robber's phone with the guy that hired him (the guy approached by the immigrants). Texts suggested the two (hit-man and the employer) had done this a couple of times because the hit-man said "Oooo just the usual gas station "robbery.""

The dude who pulled his gun and shot the hit-man isn't facing charges because he did the right thing: He saw an armed robbery and reacted. It was later, after the texts where found, that it became apparent that this was a U-visa scabecause the planners even mentioned the word "U-visa in the texts."

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

5 minutes ago, Timona said:

The OP saw a robbery happen then went on Reddit to ask if that qualifies her for U visa.

Yep. But I’m asking if THIS couple now qualifies to apply for the U visa because even though they were involved in the robbery scheme they NOW have witnessed a man get shot… 

I’m just wondering what the parameters of a U visa are… if you were involved in CRIME A  but then you witness a crime B while perpetrating the Crime A… can you apply for U visa? 

Timeline

They were using gas station because they wanted it to be caught on camera and beacsue they deemed it safer for their movie. 

Next question. The man who was shot and killed (the robber) he did this several times… how does this impact the other U visa applicants? Were they actually cooperating with police to get the assailant arrested or was it just for the EAD? How long was this scheme sustainable? Surely the police/ USCIS would have realized it was the same gas station/ the same perpetrator and all the victims happened to be undocumented… I need to find some more scams and schemes and how people get sussed out. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Redro said:

Yep. But I’m asking if THIS couple now qualifies to apply for the U visa because even though they were involved in the robbery scheme they NOW have witnessed a man get shot… 

I’m just wondering what the parameters of a U visa are… if you were involved in CRIME A  but then you witness a crime B while perpetrating the Crime A… can you apply for U visa? 

I get you now, Our Dear Librarian.

Many reasons for NO. Just to mention a few:

1. They planned it. Had they not, this would not have happened. 

2. They're now in problems because their actions led to a guy getting killed. 

3. Even if they file with USCIS, it'll be denied because this is FRAUD. They had planned to deceive USCIS. 

4. Their lives aren't in danger. 

5. They cannot be of importance to the state/ their "witnessing" because it was all caught on camera. Basically, they're not "star witness."

Edited by Timona

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Redro said:

Next question. The man who was shot and killed (the robber) he did this several times… how does this impact the other U visa applicants? Were they actually cooperating with police to get the assailant arrested or was it just for the EAD? How long was this scheme sustainable? Surely the police/ USCIS would have realized it was the same gas station/ the same perpetrator and all the victims happened to be undocumented… I need to find some more scams and schemes and how people get sussed out. 

I would think revocation of any benefit by anyone linked to him eg the gas station clerk whom he had "robbed" earlier on, at a different location. 

They weren't coperating to get the hitman arrested. The hitman was helping them get "evidence" for GC. If it was to get arrested, police would be nearby, in unmarked cars. Swoop before all that happened 

Edited by Timona

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Timona said:

And probably even this robbery was staged. And how do we know the robbery people were USC? And was it fatal to warrant star witness protection??

As in investigating officer, if someone walked to my desk and asked me "Can I get U-visa because I witnessed a crime?" I'd first ask, "How'd you know about U-visa?" And did this affect you in any way? How'd you even know if those involved are USCs?"  

Basically, for someone to ask tou this, they know more about the robbery. Planned. 

U VISA is susceptible to fraud …including by police officials selling certifications, attorneys altering certications . …

‘Sorry, not able to extract the juicy bits for quick read.

The article on staged robbery had some questionable info, when it stated a recent other fake crime had already been approved for UVISA…

There’s such a backlog that cases are put in storage for 4 years before anyone even looks at them..See report 

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/assets/2022-01/OIG-22-10-Jan22-Redacted.pdf

4 minutes ago, Timona said:

And probably even this robbery was staged. And how do we know the robbery people were USC? And was it fatal to warrant star witness protection??

As in investigating officer, if someone walked to my desk and asked me "Can I get U-visa because I witnessed a crime?" I'd first ask, "How'd you know about U-visa?" And did this affect you in any way? How'd you even know if those involved are USCs?"  

Basically, for someone to ask tou this, they know more about the robbery. Planned. 

I always enjoy your interrogations 😂…but no one in the crime scenario needs to be a USC..

24 minutes ago, Redro said:

You are a sharp thinker😂

12 minutes ago, Family said:

U VISA is susceptible to fraud …including by police officials selling certifications, attorneys altering certications . …

‘Sorry, not able to extract the juicy bits for quick read.

The article on staged robbery had some questionable info, when it stated a recent other fake crime had already been approved for UVISA…

There’s such a backlog that cases are put in storage for 4 years before anyone even looks at them..See report 

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/assets/2022-01/OIG-22-10-Jan22-Redacted.pdf

I knew you would come through with something! 
Thank you as always @Family… am still digesting the fake divorce case… 

7 hours ago, Timona said:

My conlusion is that most non-immigrants come to US with sense of entitlement.

USA via Scotland, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Qatar & India

2000. H1B…

2014. L1A…

2017. LPR…

2021. N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.