minivatreni

Worried about filing N-400 with an incorrect resident since date on my GC

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Hi All! I filed N400 because I was eligible, but my Green Card has the wrong resident since date. My resident since date says 09/27/2017 and it should state 05/17/2019. Will this be an issue at the time of the interview?

I applied for citizenship earlier in 2022 because I didn't know my residence since date was wrong. At the time of interview (in NYC FO), the IO told me that I didn't have to file the I-90 if I didn't want to because I would be eligible to re-apply soon and it wouldn't harm my future application. Still I was worried now that it might be an issue, since I have moved and am living in Chicago. 

Any responses appreciated. Thank you 

• Arrived to USA on F-1 Student Visa on 08/16/2016
  • Submitted I-485 & I-130 on 09/25/2017
  • Approved Green Card (IR7 category) on 05/17/2019
  • Electronically submitted N-400 on 02/19/2024
  • Biometrics Reuse received on 02/19/2024
  • Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 (interview scheduled for 06/10/2024 at Chicago FO)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If you didn't file too early based on the REAL date, I don't see an issue. 

51 minutes ago, minivatreni said:

I applied for citizenship earlier in 2022 because I didn't know my residence since date was wrong.

When and how did you find out?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

57 minutes ago, minivatreni said:

At the time of interview (in NYC FO)

Does this mean that you've already had the citizenship interview? And you're now just waiting on a decision? I'm confused by the point "because I would be eligible to re-apply soon and it wouldn't harm my future application"

At the time of N400 application, did you have a conditional GC or a 10 year GC?  I tried looking at your timeline but there's not much there. 

In any case as long as the timings match up for N400 eligibility (I'm assuming 3 years based on marriage), you should be good. However if you were a conditional resident then did you apply to remove conditions which would have given you a new 10 year GC with the right dates (hopefully) 

PS Now that you have moved to Chicago, you did submit a AR-11?

Edited by PVR Bound

USA via Scotland, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Qatar & India

2000. H1B…

2014. L1A…

2017. LPR…

2021. N400

Timeline
13 minutes ago, PVR Bound said:

(I'm assuming 3 years based on marriage

OP applied for citizenship in Feb 2024.  I think this is a 5 year rule case.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

If you didn't file too early based on the REAL date, I don't see an issue. 

When and how did you find out?

I filed an N400 in 2022 using the wrong resident since date, at the time of interview the IO told me the date on the GC was wrong and that my real resident since date was 05/17/2019

• Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 (interview scheduled for 06/10/2024 at Chicago FO)

Timeline
4 minutes ago, minivatreni said:

I filed an N400 in 2022 using the wrong resident since date, at the time of interview the IO told me the date on the GC was wrong and that my real resident since date was 05/17/2019

Why does your timeline say you filed 4 days ago?  

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
6 minutes ago, PVR Bound said:

Does this mean that you've already had the citizenship interview? And you're now just waiting on a decision? I'm confused by the point "because I would be eligible to re-apply soon and it wouldn't harm my future application"

At the time of N400 application, did you have a conditional GC or a 10 year GC?  I tried looking at your timeline but there's not much there. 

In any case as long as the timings match up for N400 eligibility (I'm assuming 3 years based on marriage), you should be good. However if you were a conditional resident then did you apply to remove conditions which would have given you a new 10 year GC with the right dates (hopefully) 

PS Now that you have moved to Chicago, you did submit a AR-11?

I had an incorrect resident since date on my GC, I filed an N400 in 2022 using the wrong resident since date, at the time of interview the IO told me the date on the GC was wrong and that my real resident since date was 05/17/2019. My case was denied (without prejudice so should not harm any future applications) 

Now fast forward to February, 2024, I applied again with the new Resident Since date of 05/17/2019, but I never filed an I90 for a new green card to get that date corrected. Will it be a problem at the time of the interview is my question 

I submitted the new N400 using the Chicago address, so AR11 is not needed i don't think 

Just now, Crazy Cat said:

Your timeline says you filed 4 days ago.

Yes, I filed an N400 in 2022 and it was denied because the resident since date was wrong on my green card. 

I filed a new application 4 days ago. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

OP applied for citizenship in Feb 2024.  I think this is a 5 year rule case.

Yes it is a 5 year rule case 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
5 minutes ago, minivatreni said:

I filed a new application 4 days ago. 

I don't see an issue.  Good luck.  You will be rid of USCIS soon.

Edited by Crazy Cat

4 minutes ago, minivatreni said:

I submitted the new N400 using the Chicago address, so AR11 is not needed i don't think 

AR-11 is needed every time you change address as LPR. It's a requirement whether you file for N-400 or not.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
Just now, OldUser said:

AR-11 is needed every time you change address as LPR. It's a requirement whether you file for N-400 or not.

Thanks, I did file an AR-11 on June 22, 2023, right before I moved to Chicago which was on July 01, 2023

Just now, minivatreni said:

Thanks, I did file an AR-11 on June 22, 2023, right before I moved to Chicago which was on July 01, 2023

You're supposed to file AR-11 within 10 days after move not before. But you did provide your new address there, right?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I don't see an issue.  Good luck.  You will be rid of USCIS soon.

Thank you, and sorry I realize my original post isn't well explained at all 

1. Filed my first N400 on July 01, 2022, with resident since date of 09/27/2017 (which is on my GC). At that time I had no idea the resident since date was incorrect!
  2. October 13, 2022, at Interview in NYC the IO tells me that my resident since date was wrong and I have not met the residency requirement. She then said that I could file an I90 if I wanted to get the date revised on the GC but that I didn't have to because it would not impact a future application. She wrote down my actual Resident Since date on a sticky note and gave it to me. 
  3. October 18, 2022, I get the official notice my N400 application was denied. 
  4. February 19, 2024, I file a NEW N400 application using the new resident since date of 05/17/2019 (although my GC still states the incorrect date) 
  5. After submitting application I was worried that I made a mistake by never filing the I-90 and was overthinking that maybe the new IO I get for my upcoming interview will find issue with me not filing the I-90 to get the date revised. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, OldUser said:

You're supposed to file AR-11 within 10 days after move not before. But you did provide your new address there, right?

I did provide the new address on the AR-11, yes, and all the USCIS notices so far for my new N-400 have been mailed to my new address so I think they have it on file that I've moved (hopefully). 

Question: Any chance you were admitted originally as a refugee or asylee? That'd be one of the few cases where the resident since date would pre-date an I-485 approval. Refugees are granted one of their arrival date in US, asylees are granted one that's the I-485 approval date minus 1 year.

If so then it's possible that the original officer erred in denying you naturalization back in 2022.

Otherwise, you should be fine, I don't believe there's any requirement for you to correct a defective green card to naturalize, only that you present one or an I-90 receipt notice at the interview.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.