jmalelkamel

Changing last name while I-130 is in progress

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi guys! My husband (beneficiary) and I (US citizen)have just recently filed our I-130. I kept my last name as my maiden name on the I-130 as I have not officially changed it anywhere due to tax season being close after our marriage and didn’t want any issues with any of our documents not matching… since as you know, it’s a process to change everything :) I wanted to know if it would be okay to change my last name officially everywhere since I’ve already submitted the I-130, or is it more advisable to wait until the whole process is over with? I also planned to change my middle name to my maiden name too, if that matters (you can do it here in my state after marriage). Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you! 

Edited by jmalelkamel

It is no problem at all for USCIS, NVC or the embassy since they will ask you ALL other names you have ever used at any point they ask your name, and you would list your maiden name there.  Just start using your married name when the case goes to NVC.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
45 minutes ago, top_secret said:

It is no problem at all for USCIS, NVC or the embassy since they will ask you ALL other names you have ever used at any point they ask your name, and you would list your maiden name there.  Just start using your married name when the case goes to NVC.

Ohhh okay thank you! I was just worried since I didn’t list it on the I-130. So when I fill out the affidavit of support etc i should just put my new name and middle name down? 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, jmalelkamel said:

Ohhh okay thank you! I was just worried since I didn’t list it on the I-130. So when I fill out the affidavit of support etc i should just put my new name and middle name down? 

Yes, and on the DS 260.  When you start using your married name in real life is up to you.  No need to make any change with USCIS.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, and on the DS 260.  When you start using your married name in real life is up to you.  No need to make any change with USCIS.

What about using Maiden name as Middle name? Doesn't this change require something else other than marriage certificate? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Thank you so much for your input! I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get the ball rolling in changing my name since I didn’t list it on the I-130. I guess it’s much easier since I’m the US citizen so they can look into my social security number and see my current and previous names too.

30 minutes ago, OldUser said:

What about using Maiden name as Middle name? Doesn't this change require something else other than marriage certificate? 

Depends on the state. Some states/ countries will allow First Name Maiden Name Husband Name or any variation that uses both last names or just one. Other states have stricter requirements on what type of name change is allowed with a marriage certificate… 

Generally the main thing you cannot change with marriage certificate is first name. 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, OldUser said:

In the state of Tennessee you can opt to change your maiden name to your middle name when you apply for a new social security card using your certified marriage certificate as proof, I also didn’t know about it either until recently my married coworkers told me they did this - I never heard of anyone in my home state (Maryland) doing this, so I’m not sure if the requirements vary from state to state . :) 

Edited by jmalelkamel

15 minutes ago, Redro said:

Depends on the state. Some states/ countries will allow First Name Maiden Name Husband Name or any variation that uses both last names or just one. Other states have stricter requirements on what type of name change is allowed with a marriage certificate… 

Generally the main thing you cannot change with marriage certificate is first name. 

I should add in Michigan you have to SIGN your marriage certificate with the name you intend to use in the future. If you sign the certificate with your maiden name you have to go through the regular name change process. it is the same for my home country- name change has to be recorded on the marriage certificate. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

Not for US immigration.  The foreign spouse uses the name in the passport.  The petitioner uses the name she ended up with after the change.  In the USA, name changes start with Social Security, not the State, but yeah, you cannot change your first name based on marriage alone.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.