quistarrok

F1 Visa and Administrative Processing (Almost Done) (Multiple merged threads)

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi community - my relative is a citizen of Russia. She aim to apply for computer science degree (BS) in the US. 

Is there a risk of F1 denial or administrative processing?

I am not completely clear about Technology Alert List - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_Alert_List. Russia is on a list. Majors like “Robotics” and “Information Security” are listed as sensitive majors. 

is Technology Alert List and risk of F1 denial / AP is for “master and higher degree” only or it applies to undergraduate degree like bachelors as well?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No F1 is guaranteed.

Usually other factors are more important.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Might be worth having another read of your previous thread about another close relative who’d applied for a F1. As explained in that, it’s more to do with being Russian that anything else, so yes, the risk of AP is high. 

What relative to you is this? 

Edited by appleblossom

Timeline
17 hours ago, quistarrok said:

I am not completely clear about Technology Alert List - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_Alert_List. Russia is on a list. Majors like “Robotics” and “Information Security” are listed as sensitive majors. 

Factors other than this

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All - I hope you are doing well.

Here is a situation. My relative was put in administrative processing (AP) for an F1 visa last summer. The embassy just emailed her that AP is almost done and requires her passport and a copy of their email. It has been 8 months since AP started, and the relative is currently in a different country (Russia) (not the country of the embassy she interviewed at, which is South Korea).

Questions:

1) First of all: is it a good sign, i.e., likely F1 approval than not?

2) Should she return to South Korea, where she was interviewed? The email from the embassy says that she needs to ship the passport/copy of the email via courier. It does not say that she needs to come to the embassy herself. Eventually, if the F1 visa is approved - she will get the passport back via mail domestically (right?). Then, does she need to go back to South Korea? Her parents live in South Korea and can pick up or receive the passport (with an F1 visa).

3) Even though the email from the embassy did not ask for an I-20, does she need to get an UPDATED I-20 and provide it to the embassy, as the validity dates for the visa need to be shifted? The university welcomes her to come to study for this fall semester (2024).

4) How urgent does she need to be to get the passport the embassy requested? The university told her they could reissue the I-20 in April (i.e., in a month or two).

Hope for your advice.

Hello All - I hope you are doing well.

Here is a situation. My relative was put in administrative processing (AP) for an F1 visa last summer. The embassy just emailed her that AP is almost done and requires her passport and a copy of their email. It has been 8 months since AP started, and the relative is currently in a different country (Russia) (not the country of the embassy she interviewed at, which is South Korea).

Questions:

1) First of all: is it a good sign, i.e., likely F1 approval than not?

2) Should she return to South Korea, where she was interviewed? The email from the embassy says that she needs to ship the passport/copy of the email via courier. It does not say that she needs to come to the embassy herself. Eventually, if the F1 visa is approved - she will get the passport back via mail domestically (right?). Then, does she need to go back to South Korea? Her parents live in South Korea and can pick up or receive the passport (with an F1 visa).

3) Even though the email from the embassy did not ask for an I-20, does she need to get an UPDATED I-20 and provide it to the embassy, as the validity dates for the visa need to be shifted? The university welcomes her to come to study for this fall semester (2024).

4) How urgent does she need to be to get the passport the embassy requested? The university told her they could reissue the I-20 in April (i.e., in a month or two).

Hope for your advice.

Timeline

I would send it with her parents as the delivery address and with a new I 20

Sounds positive 

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

I would send it with her parents as the delivery address and with a new I 20

Sounds positive 

Thank you for the advice. Obstacle is that the school will issue new I-20 only in April. Is it safe to wait until she gets updated I-20 or should she give them passport now as they requested? Confusion is that embassy might issue visa based on old I-20 which is incorrect? 

Timeline

Normally an F1 is a couple of weeks, here the issue is presumably because she is Russian and that hurdle has been passed.

Three related threads on F1 and AP merged. Please do not start another thread on this topic as that’s considered spamming; keep all further questions and follow ups in this thread only.

VJ Moderation 

• powerpuff changed the title to F1 Visa and Administrative Processing (Almost Done) (Multiple merged threads)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.