Administrative processing? Or just in limbo?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone.

I was looking for feedback on how my husband and I should proceed. My husband had his interview at the beginning of January 2024, and the immigration officer basically told him that based on his case, she would need to send over his case to the attorney and get feedback. She said he wasn't in administrative processing and that the attorney moved quickly. She gave him a green piece of paper, and at the bottom it has a check mark by three things: one being 'administrative processing refer to the reverse side of this letter’  but then on the back she put a big x over the administrative processing. I reached out after a week because I was a bit confused and was told they would get back to us when an outcome was reached.

So I guess what I want to know is: has anyone ever heard of something similar? Needing to speak to the attorney (which atty I’m not 100% certain) for insight on a case? Do we just sit around and wait, or do we do periodic check-ins? We have been waiting for a while, and I'm honestly ready to get back home, but I don't want to go without him.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What was the overall tenor of the interview?  Were there red flags in your husbands visa application?  Honestly, I have not heard of this scenario from a visa interview as to me any review by anyone at the consulate would be considered administrative processing.  Unfortunately, there is not much else you can do right now other than check-in periodically, and wait.

Good Luck, and hopefully the statement by the CO about the attorney reviewing this quickly actually happens.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Whether it is technically AP or not does it matter, there is something about your case that requires further investigation.

Very much depends what it is, there are certain common issues, your Husband will know.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
8 hours ago, Dashinka said:

What was the overall tenor of the interview?  Were there red flags in your husbands visa application?  Honestly, I have not heard of this scenario from a visa interview as to me any review by anyone at the consulate would be considered administrative processing.  Unfortunately, there is not much else you can do right now other than check-in periodically, and wait.

Good Luck, and hopefully the statement by the CO about the attorney reviewing this quickly actually happens.

Yeah, so there are a couple of red flags on his case, mainly from when he stayed in America, which we knew going into this. The interview itself was short and she didn't need to see much of our evidence about the legitimacy of our marriage; it was more so questions regarding when he was in America, but she was nice. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of an officer needing to request more assistance. Thanks! 

Timeline

@Boiler I do believe it matters whether or not it is AP, because with AP, we may just be waiting until they are doing checks and getting back to us, but if it's not AP and he needs a waiver, that's something we would rather know now than later. Also, I'm completely aware and know what's going on with our case, so that's why I wanted to see if anyone has been in this situation so we can know if this might be a way of prolonging our case or what. And I get it..no one will know exactly because they aren't USCIS. I was just wondering if anyone heard the ‘need to speak to the attorney line.’

Timeline

You have not told us what the situation is so maybe.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 hours ago, 234313 said:

Yeah, so there are a couple of red flags on his case, mainly from when he stayed in America, which we knew going into this. The interview itself was short and she didn't need to see much of our evidence about the legitimacy of our marriage; it was more so questions regarding when he was in America, but she was nice. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of an officer needing to request more assistance. Thanks! 

Sounds like he has an inadmissibility.

5 hours ago, 234313 said:

I was just wondering if anyone heard the ‘need to speak to the attorney line.’

Maybe they are sending it back to the US for review?

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
1 hour ago, PAbshir said:

You should stop being negative all the time.

Negative, just pointing out the obvious that wanting a specific answer without providing detailed information is not going to work. We just end up guessing, I have seen certain common issues but I have no idea which one if any would apply here.

Timeline
On 2/6/2024 at 12:04 PM, SalishSea said:

Sounds like he has an inadmissibility.

Maybe they are sending it back to the US for review?

I believe they have sent it back. I did e-mail the Sydney consulate and they said we are in administrative processing and we will be contacted once there is an answer for us. 

Timeline

He interviewed in Australia?

Timeline

Is he also an Australian Citizen?

Timeline

ok

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.