15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

Can someone please help me understand the Visa bulletin info? I’m a permanent resident who petitioned my minor children. They are documentarily approved and has a priority date of October 6, 2021. No correspondence yet since approval from NVC. I checked with the consular office in Manila and they don’t have the papers yet. How do I check in this bulletin when they might be scheduled for an interview? TIA!

6 minutes ago, Kai!1 said:

Hi all,

Can someone please help me understand the Visa bulletin info? I’m a permanent resident who petitioned my minor children. They are documentarily approved and has a priority date of October 6, 2021. No correspondence yet since approval from NVC. I checked with the consular office in Manila and they don’t have the papers yet. How do I check in this bulletin when they might be scheduled for an interview? TIA!

You need to look at Table A on the Visa Bulletin, they are category F2A. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2024/visa-bulletin-for-january-2024.html

As you can see, those with PD's of 1st Nov 2019 or earlier now have a visa number available to them. So just keep an eye on the Visa Bulletin and then when the PD for your country/category is later than your PD, that's when they'll be added to the queue for an interview and the file transferred to Manila.

When will you be eligible to apply for naturalization?

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Normally your Spouse would have petitioned for them as there is no wait for the minor child of a USC, visa'a are always available.

I assume there is some reason you did.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
10 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

You need to look at Table A on the Visa Bulletin, they are category F2A. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2024/visa-bulletin-for-january-2024.html

As you can see, those with PD's of 1st Nov 2019 or earlier now have a visa number available to them. So just keep an eye on the Visa Bulletin and then when the PD for your country/category is later than your PD, that's when they'll be added to the queue for an interview and the file transferred to Manila.

When will you be eligible to apply for naturalization?

Yes, I’ve been eligible to apply for citizenship since October 2023. I haven’t had time to process it because of work. Will it make a difference on expediting this petition if I get my citizenship?

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Normally your Spouse would have petitioned for them as there is no wait for the minor child of a USC, visa'a are always available.

I assume there is some reason you did.

Pride. My strong sense of independence. That’s the reason lol. I obviously wasn’t practical about the approach and thought doing it all by myself wouldn’t take this long 😊

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kai!1 said:

Yes, I’ve been eligible to apply for citizenship since October 2023. I haven’t had time to process it because of work. Will it make a difference on expediting this petition if I get my citizenship?

You will not need to wait for a visa number to be current.

How old are the children?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

File to Naturalise today

3 minutes ago, Kai!1 said:

I see. They are now 19 and 16

As you can see from the above, you've still got a lengthy wait ahead of you, and the 19 year old is at risk of aging out in to category F2B (which would add another 4 or 5 years to his/her wait) if their PD isn't current before they turn 21. Whereas if you were a citizen there's no waiting for their PD to become current on the Visa Bulletin at all, as they'd be classed as immediate relatives and would be in the queue for an interview now. 

The potential problem with you applying for citizenship is it may take too long - by the time you have it, your eldest could have aged out in to F1 category depending on when his/her birthday is (i.e. no longer an immediate relative). If you want to avoid the risk of that happening, the only thing to do is get your spouse to file for them asap. Pride and a sense of independence are great, but maybe other things need to take priority now you understand the deadlines you're up against and the potential wait. Unless I'm missing something and there's some way to keep the children as immediate relatives if you don't get citizenship until after the eldest is 21 - @Boiler??

Edited by appleblossom

Timeline

I had to go out so thought I would at least stress the important thing.

F2a can age out to F2b, I can not know how likely that is.

Naturalise before the oldest hits 21 and the issue goes away as the child is locked in.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Boiler said:

Naturalise before the oldest hits 21 and the issue goes away as the child is locked in.

Thank you so kindly for this helpful info. I looked into current processing time to get my citizenship and it is risky. I’ve just spoken to my spouse, and we will reapply with her as petitioner. 

12 hours ago, Boiler said:

Thank you, that’s what I thought - depending on when the 19 year old turns 21, there’s a good chance the OP won’t have citizenship by his/her 21st birthday. So I’m glad the OP’s spouse will petition instead. 👍🏻

Timeline
2 hours ago, appleblossom said:

Thank you, that’s what I thought - depending on when the 19 year old turns 21, there’s a good chance the OP won’t have citizenship by his/her 21st birthday. So I’m glad the OP’s spouse will petition instead. 👍🏻

That is the best solution but no harm having a backup.

Let is say they are 20 today should still have time but always a risk. And one not needed to take.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.