EternalForeigner

I-551 stamp at US preclearance airport?

27 posts in this topic

This isn’t specific to this subforum but it relates to a family member though the question is for any similar situation: if a new immigrant gets their MRIV immigrant visa, can they be processed for official admission into the U.S. and get an I-551 stamp at U.S. reclearance airports such as Abu Dhabi, Dublin or the many Canadian airports? Or does it have to happen at an airport in the U.S. itself?

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

N-400 FILED ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

BIOMETRICS REUSE NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

RECEIPT NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE ONLINE: JULY 13, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: JULY 19, 2021

INTERVIEW DATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

APPROVAL, OATH CEREMONY AND CERTIFICATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 
Aug. 23: Check cashed. 

Sep. 21: Status changed to "Approved” then “Shipped” later in the day.

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

Sep. 25: Passport card delivered. 
Oct. 4: Naturalization certificate delivered. 

*** Topic moved to General Immigration forum as the question is more general in nature ***

4 hours ago, EternalForeigner said:

can they be processed for official admission into the U.S. and get an I-551 stamp at U.S. reclearance airports such as Abu Dhabi, Dublin or the many Canadian airports?

Yes.

When arriving after pre-clearance abroad, you would come as a domestic flight. You just grab your bags and walk out. 

6 hours ago, powerpuff said:

*** Topic moved to General Immigration forum as the question is more general in nature ***

Yes.

When arriving after pre-clearance abroad, you would come as a domestic flight. You just grab your bags and walk out. 

I’ve done preclearance travel myself, but specifically do US immigrations officers at preclearance airports give green card stamps to admit new immigrants? That’s what I’m trying to confirm. 

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

3 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

I did answer - yes. They do endorse and admit new LPR’s just like at US POE.

My point was that they have to since the flight comes as a domestic flight. There are no checks after landing. It’s a fully operational CBP just like in the US.

I appreciate the clarification and thank you kindly.

N-400 PROCESS:

PASSPORT PROCESS:

8 hours ago, EternalForeigner said:

I’ve done preclearance travel myself, but specifically do US immigrations officers at preclearance airports give green card stamps to admit new immigrants? That’s what I’m trying to confirm. 

I think they do not "stamp" anymore.  It is all electronic now if I'm not mistaken.  At least that's what CBP told my wife at IAD airport when she came on her CR-1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, JD2 said:

I think they do not "stamp" anymore.  It is all electronic now if I'm not mistaken.  At least that's what CBP told my wife at IAD airport when she came on her CR-1.

The visa is affixed to the passport. The associated paperwork that used to come in a sealed envelope from the consulate is now electronic. The CBP officer accesses the electronic record, verifies the information and stamps the passport near the visa to validate it. The stamp with the MRIV together serve as the temporary I-551 valid for up to a year and indicates the passport holder is now an LPR.

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

5 minutes ago, mam521 said:

The visa is affixed to the passport. The associated paperwork that used to come in a sealed envelope from the consulate is now electronic. The CBP officer accesses the electronic record, verifies the information and stamps the passport near the visa to validate it. The stamp with the MRIV together serve as the temporary I-551 valid for up to a year and indicates the passport holder is now an LPR.

What I'm saying is CBP told my spouse they no longer "stamp the passport near the visa to validate it."  We went back to the airport to the CBP office and asked just to be sure it wasn't a mistake.

7 hours ago, JD2 said:

What I'm saying is CBP told my spouse they no longer "stamp the passport near the visa to validate it."  We went back to the airport to the CBP office and asked just to be sure it wasn't a mistake.

It has to have admission stamp with the date of entry - whoever said it's no longer done is wrong. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

3 hours ago, milimelo said:

It has to have admission stamp with the date of entry - whoever said it's no longer done is wrong. 

My spouse's definitely did not.  And, we went to CBP and confirmed.  We actually had a problem because she traveled abroad before her green card came and the airline didn't know what to do.  The Embassy hotline said it's been a problem since CBP made the change.  Eventually, the airline let her board.  This was March 2023.

13 hours ago, JD2 said:

That's odd, never heard of that, and all 4 of ours were certainly stamped when we entered a few months ago. Without that I can't see how it would act as a temporary green card, as there's no way of knowing what date you entered etc, so it wouldn't be valid surely?

Edited by appleblossom

Just now, appleblossom said:

That's odd, never heard of that, and all 4 of ours were certainly stamped when we entered a few months ago. Without that, how is it considered valid??

CBP said it was all digital now.  Spouse's SSN didn't come so we had to go to the SSA office and SSA had it in their system that it was endorsed digitally.  So did the DMV when we got her State ID.

Just now, JD2 said:

CBP said it was all digital now.  Spouse's SSN didn't come so we had to go to the SSA office and SSA had it in their system that it was endorsed digitally.  So did the DMV when we got her State ID.

Really strange. I just can't see how that would work for anything else i.e. employment checks, bank checks, etc, as they won't be able to access the digital systems, so will rely on the actual stamp and date next to the visa. 

The guidance on here hasn’t been updated in three years either:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

N-400 PROCESS:

PASSPORT PROCESS:

8 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Really strange. I just can't see how that would work for anything else i.e. employment checks, bank checks, etc, as they won't be able to access the digital systems, so will rely on the actual stamp and date next to the visa. 

yea it was a real problem returning from abroad but eventually worked out.  glad her green card came quick

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.