808Bryan

Bringing our 11 month old baby with us to wife's visa interview

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife has her visa interview next month at the HCMC consulate. I will accompany my wife to her interview, but we're not sure if we'll be allowed to bring our 11 month old baby into the consulate with us. Our baby already has dual citizenship, so we're not applying for a visa for her. Anyone have any experience on wether or not we will be able to bring our baby with us into the interview?

Well for starters, only the intending immigrant - your wife - would be allowed in. That means if you're coming with your wife and baby, make plans how to fill your and your baby's time while your wife is in the consular section. 

The following persons may accompany a visa applicant to their interview:

• Applicants may bring ONE interpreter if they do not speak English or Vietnamese well enough to participate in an interview.
  • Applicants may bring ONE person to help if they are elderly, disabled, or a minor child.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/HCM-Ho-Chi-Minh-City.html

From  the embassy site

The following persons may accompany a visa applicant to their interview:

• Applicants may bring ONE interpreter if they do not speak English or Vietnamese well enough to participate inan interview.
  • Applicants may bring ONE person to help if they are elderly, disabled, or a minor child.

Timeline

Thanks. Though the info you have replied with is not entirely correct. The interview appointment letter we received, states what you guys mentioned, but also says the petitioner can accompany as well. I stumbled upon someone's post of their experience at the HCMC consulate while attending their wife's interview, but it's unclear if they brought their baby in or if there was just some issue with some docs with the baby info on it.. so, I'm just hoping to get a clear answer from someone who might have experience with HCMC consulate allowing a baby in that's not being interviewed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
4 hours ago, 808Bryan said:

Thanks. Though the info you have replied with is not entirely correct. The interview appointment letter we received, states what you guys mentioned, but also says the petitioner can accompany as well. I stumbled upon someone's post of their experience at the HCMC consulate while attending their wife's interview, but it's unclear if they brought their baby in or if there was just some issue with some docs with the baby info on it.. so, I'm just hoping to get a clear answer from someone who might have experience with HCMC consulate allowing a baby in that's not being interviewed.

Yes, you can - and you are encouraged - to accompany your fiance to the appointment in Vietnam.  There were lots of couples and families having visa interviews with infants when I attended with my fiance.  Most were pretty unhappy and noisy after a few hours in that waiting room. 

Best of luck to you - Jason

Timeline

Thanks, for the responses. I do hope they will allow my baby into the HCMC consulate post covid. Though, my wife and I are considering to find someone to watch the baby during the interview now. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, 808Bryan said:

Thanks, for the responses. I do hope they will allow my baby into the HCMC consulate post covid. Though, my wife and I are considering to find someone to watch the baby during the interview now. 

There will be no issue if you bring the new born with you. Make sure you have the new born's US passport in hand because the security staff may ask for it. Just make sure you're take care of the baby while your wife interview.

Be confident and good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

"Note:  If you have small children whose names are not on any confirmation letter, you should arrange for alternate child care during the interview as they will not be allowed into the consulate." 

And yes, the Petetioner can attend the interview.  

Straight from consulate website.  

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Just wanted to update on this post for anyone else who might have questions about bringing the baby to the consulate.

So I attended my wife's interview and we found a friend who would watch our baby while we were at the consulate. We were there for a few hours and the interview went well. Wife's visa was approved!

I wanted to let anyone considering to bring their baby to the interview that THEY WILL NOT LET YOU BRING THE BABY INSIDE unless that baby is applying for a visa!!

While my wife and I were waiting in line outside the consulate to get our documents checked, we witnessed a couple ahead of us get told that the baby would not be allowed to enter..

So, just a heads up for anyone thinking of doing this. your baby isn't allowed in and you will need to make arrangements for someone to watch your baby if you're planning to attend your spouse's interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.