Rearviewmirror

N-400 January 2024 filers

540 posts in this topic

Congratulations to all who recently passed the test !
did they asked you to explain “what is means “from the N400 form questions ? For example “ Can you explain what is non-combats services ?”, “ What does an offence mean ? “

someone I know wasn’t able to answer these types of questions during the interview.

02/08/2019 - Package was received .

On 4/12/2024 at 9:20 PM, happydoctor said:

Congratulations to all who recently passed the test !
did they asked you to explain “what is means “from the N400 form questions ? For example “ Can you explain what is non-combats services ?”, “ What does an offence mean ? “

Nope - I just got asked 2-3 of the questions verbally.

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Oath Scheduled - May 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony - June 18, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline
On 4/12/2024 at 8:11 PM, happydoctor said:

Hi ! Do you know if they have same day oath ceremony by chance in Chicago ? 

They do not!

• Arrived to USA on F-1 Student Visa on 08/16/2016
  • Submitted I-485 & I-130 on 09/25/2017
  • Approved Green Card (IR7 category) on 05/17/2019
  • Electronically submitted N-400 on 02/19/2024
  • Biometrics Reuse received on 02/19/2024
  • Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 (interview scheduled for 06/10/2024 at Chicago FO)

On 4/14/2024 at 6:38 AM, Rearviewmirror said:

Nope - I just got asked 2-3 of the questions verbally.

Do you mean they asked “ yes / no “ questions, but didn’t ask what the certain words mean ?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, happydoctor said:

Do you mean they asked “ yes / no “ questions, but didn’t ask what the certain words mean ?

Why would the officer ask you to explain the application itself to him? No one is going to ask you the definition of the questions on the N-400. They will go over your application with you and confirm that you haven't committed crimes, been imprisoned, broken the law, etc. You will need to answer either yes/no or in some cases provide a brief explanation where applicable. 

• Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 (interview scheduled for 06/10/2024 at Chicago FO)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
3 hours ago, minivatreni said:

Why would the officer ask you to explain the application itself to him? No one is going to ask you the definition of the questions on the N-400. They will go over your application with you and confirm that you haven't committed crimes, been imprisoned, broken the law, etc. You will need to answer either yes/no or in some cases provide a brief explanation where applicable. 

Actually, my wife has been studying a list of "definition" words.  I don't know where she found it but it must have been on some Vietnamese user group.  There are 100 words or phrases with definitions.  Words like "parole" "conviction" "pardon", etc.  The two questions the person above was asked are also two of the words or phrases that my wife is studying.  This is in addition to the 100 civics questions.

I haven't heard of this before she started studying them and haven't read anyone else's interview summary that asked these questions but she was adamant that some interviews include these questions.  The post above is the first confirmation that I've heard of it.

Edited by Stein

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Stein said:

Actually, my wife has been studying a list of "definition" words.  I don't know where she found it but it must have been on some Vietnamese user group.  There are 100 words or phrases with definitions.  Words like "parole" "conviction" "pardon", etc.  The two questions the person above was asked are also two of the words or phrases that my wife is studying.  This is in addition to the 100 civics questions.

No one will test you on the definition of these words, but it's important you know what they mean so that you can answer the questions truthfully!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 minute ago, minivatreni said:

No one will test you on the definition of these words, but it's important you know what they mean so that you can answer the questions truthfully!

OK.  I'm going to just keep quiet and let her keep studying them.  It can't hurt!

Hi all!

I decided to get rid off lots of papers related to all my previous cases. Do I need to keep anything for the future? If so, I guess I should keep ex spouse copies of passport and birth certificate, divorce and marriage license.
Do I need to keep the copies of my work permit, receipts and etc?

Any thoughts on this.

Thank you!

Edited by Iowa65

6 hours ago, minivatreni said:

I hope they will not ask  🙂 However , just recently I heard the story where they did ask older lady with very bad English what this means, and she didn’t know. She didn’t pass the test . Couple months after she tried again after learning  the meaning of these words and she passed. I guess it’s depends. Maybe they ask if a person doesn’t  speaks English good enough.

2 hours ago, Iowa65 said:

Hi all!

I decided to get rid off lots of papers related to all my previous cases. Do I need to keep anything for the future? If so, I guess I should keep ex spouse copies of passport and birth certificate, divorce and marriage license.
Do I need to keep the copies of my work permit, receipts and etc?

Any thoughts on this.

Thank you!

My advice is to keep original case receipts and approval letters in addition to what you're keeping.

In addition, it wouldn't hurt to scan everything you have and store in the cloud AND USB stick AND computer. Keeping three copies in three different places ensures you can recover data after natural disaster / fire or computer malfunction.

You never know when you may be asked again to reprove everything. The chance of it happening is low, but it would be hard if you destroy all evidence.

It's a lot of work to scan, but the cost of storing it in the cloud is free or close to 0.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
8 minutes ago, happydoctor said:

I hope they will not ask  🙂 However , just recently I heard the story where they did ask older lady with very bad English what this means, and she didn’t know. She didn’t pass the test . Couple months after she tried again after learning  the meaning of these words and she passed. I guess it’s depends. Maybe they ask if a person doesn’t  speaks English good enough.

Yeah I suppose the issue becomes if the IO asks you a question and you look at him/her like you don’t know what he or she is saying. Then they will ask you if you understand the questions. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 minute ago, OldUser said:

My advice is to keep original case receipts and approval letters in addition to what you're keeping.

In addition, it wouldn't hurt to scan everything you have and store in the cloud AND USB stick AND computer.

You never know when you may be asked again to reprove everything. The chance of it happening is low, but it would be hard if you destroy all evidence.

It's a lot of work to scan, but the cost of storing it in the cloud is free or close to 0.

Just out of curiosity, why is it important to bring original case receipts? 

7 hours ago, happydoctor said:

Yes - just the typical "did you ever?" yes/no. I wasn't asked to define anything.

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Oath Scheduled - May 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony - June 18, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

Just now, Jacobo said:

Just out of curiosity, why is it important to bring original case receipts? 

To keep or bring?

To keep because USCIS wouldn't play games saying they don't believe copies. If they're documents on watermarked official paper it's hard to say they're fake.

I know I'm too defensive when it comes to keeping paperwork, but you can never underestimate the federal agency's ability to cause issues in the future. There was a thread recently about DOS not issuing passport to a young US citizen, doubting their whole naturalization

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.