Rearviewmirror

N-400 January 2024 filers

551 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline
7 hours ago, OldUser said:

I'm confused. Are you @leilabird?

How are you a resident of 9 years if your GC should start in 2019?

No just someone else with a concern about N-400 application 

• Arrived to USA on F-1 Student Visa on 08/16/2016
  • Submitted I-485 & I-130 on 09/25/2017
  • Approved Green Card (IR7 category) on 05/17/2019
  • Electronically submitted N-400 on 02/19/2024
  • Biometrics Reuse received on 02/19/2024
  • Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 (interview scheduled for 06/10/2024 at Chicago FO)

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jacobo said:

40 days exactly 

That's fast - congrats

• Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 (interview scheduled for 06/10/2024 at Chicago FO)

Timeline
2 hours ago, red12345 said:

5 days

That is so quick. Did you file using the 90 day early filing option? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a kind of dumb question and I don't know if anyone has any insight, but worth a shot! 

My name has always been a bit weird and confusing because I have an official first name that's on all of my government documents, a middle name (which is what I go by) that's on all of my government documents either as an initial or in full, and another middle name that's on my birth certificate and marriage license and that I've included somewhere on all applications to USCIS including this one. For example: Sally Jane Mary Smith, but almost everything is either Sally Jane Smith or Sally J. Smith. Thanks, family! Anyway, all of the cards I've received from USCIS up to this point have just had my official first name, the initial of my first middle name (the one I go by) and my last name. Will my naturalization certificate follow that same trend, or are they suddenly going to add the second middle name to it? It's not a big enough deal to go through the effort and possible delay of a name change just to drop it, but I'm also hoping it's not on my certificate because it would feel weird at this point (and I hate it lol). Can I ask that it just reads like my other cards do?

Again, not a huge deal either way, but I'm curious and would also like to brace myself to potentially have to hear it said out loud! It's a relatively common name with an extremely uncommon spelling (think spelling error, really) and it sometimes throws people. My husband, however, would have a field day if he hears it said in an official capacity 😂

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, samack said:

My name has always been a bit weird and confusing because I have an official first name that's on all of my government documents, a middle name (which is what I go by) that's on all of my government documents either as an initial or in full, and another middle name that's on my birth certificate and marriage license and that I've included somewhere on all applications to USCIS including this one. For example: Sally Jane Mary Smith, but almost everything is either Sally Jane Smith or Sally J. Smith. Thanks, family!

I also have 2 middle names as is fairly common in France (are you French Canadian?). Same as yours, my green card is first name and initial of "second name" only.

But I've noticed that the NOA1 I just received has my full name with both middle names. (Funny enough, they added a line "care of" with just my first and last name in the address, ie Sally Jane Mary Smith c/o Sally Smith, lol.) I expect to see both my middle names on the naturalization certificate because of that. 

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Laure&Colin said:

I also have 2 middle names as is fairly common in France (are you French Canadian?). Same as yours, my green card is first name and initial of "second name" only.

But I've noticed that the NOA1 I just received has my full name with both middle names. (Funny enough, they added a line "care of" with just my first and last name in the address, ie Sally Jane Mary Smith c/o Sally Smith, lol.) I expect to see both my middle names on the naturalization certificate because of that. 

I'm not, but I grew up in a French area of my province so I understand that naming convention! I can account for the first and second name (my grandmother and mother chose one each), but have *no* idea what possessed anyone to pick the third one that they did lol.

My NOA1 showed up with all of them too, but it didn't have the care of line. I thought it may have been because I signed the application with all three names, but I can't imagine I didn't do that with the others too. I guess we'll see on the day, but maybe I can pull whoever is running the ceremony aside for a second and promise that there's a crisp $20 bill in it for them if they just skip saying the third name out loud 😂

32 minutes ago, samack said:

I thought it may have been because I signed the application with all three names, but I can't imagine I didn't do that with the others too.

I'd check all paperwork you ever submitted to USCIS to know what all names been used in other applications. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you guys bringing duplicates of your filed evidence, or just requested items in the interview letter (plus irs tax return transcripts apparently)? Trying to decide how much I should bring with me.

Edited by zentaco

K-1 Visa 248 Days
Filed: 2011-10-24... Interview: 2012-06-21... Visa Received: 2012-06-27

Adjustment of Status 84 Days

Filed: 2012-11-15... EAD Received: 2013-01-26... Interview: 2013-02-06

Removal of Conditions 166 Days

Filed: 2014-11-10... Card Production: 2015-04-16... Card Received: 2015-04-24

Naturalization 72 Days

Filed: 2024-01-02... Interview: 2024-02-27...Oath Ceremony: 2024-03-15

Timeline
35 minutes ago, zentaco said:

Are you guys bringing duplicates of your filed evidence, or just requested items in the interview letter (plus irs tax return transcripts apparently)? Trying to decide how much I should bring with me.

Duplicates not needed. 1 copy of everything is sufficient. Residential lease, tax transcripts etc. If it’s an original document, then if you want, you can bring the original and a copy.

Edited by minivatreni

Timeline
27 minutes ago, minivatreni said:

Duplicates not needed. 1 copy of everything is sufficient. Residential lease, tax transcripts etc. If it’s an original document, then if you want, you can bring the original and a copy.

I filed online, so by duplicates i mean “should I print and bring everything I sent that I don’t have an original copy of”? Because I filed 5 years of credit card statements, so that would be a lot to print. 😅

K-1 Visa 248 Days

Naturalization 72 Days

Timeline
14 minutes ago, zentaco said:

I filed online, so by duplicates i mean “should I print and bring everything I sent that I don’t have an original copy of”? Because I filed 5 years of credit card statements, so that would be a lot to print. 😅

Hm no you wouldn’t have to bring that. Why did you provide the credit card statements? Was it to prove residency? 

Bringing copies of those would not be necessary for interview 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, minivatreni said:

Hm no you wouldn’t have to bring that. Why did you provide the credit card statements? Was it to prove residency? 

Bringing copies of those would not be necessary for interview 

Yep, residency, because my husband pays most of the rent related bills (housing, utilities, etc). I can technically file under the 5 year rule and not just 3, but I sent evidence for both. It could be easy for me to walk in with way too much stuff. 

K-1 Visa 248 Days

Naturalization 72 Days

Timeline
6 minutes ago, zentaco said:

Yep, residency, because my husband pays most of the rent related bills (housing, utilities, etc). I can technically file under the 5 year rule and not just 3, but I sent evidence for both. It could be easy for me to walk in with way too much stuff. 

I'm filing under 5 years instead of 3, so I only uploaded what the application requested and proof of a paid speeding ticket. I also think I'm bringing too much to the interview, but I know that would be the case regardless of which eligibility I was using. I'd rather go overboard and waste paper than have an RFE!

I'm taking copies of my driver's license, current green card, EAD, SSN, marriage certificate, deed for our house, both of our birth certificates, 5 years of tax information, more information about my ticket, the two (expired) Canadian passports I have, and my conditional green card. 

I had way too many documents with me when we went through the ROC interview but it still made me feel better to have them. I don't think you'd ever really regret having too much! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.