bmadeline

just starting AOS- some questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi

My new husband and I just got married yesterday, and now we are going to start the AOS process.

We had used a lawyer for the 129-F, and I was very pleased at how quickly our case moved (NOA1-Visa granted, 4.5 months) and suspect that had much to do with the fact that we had a lawyer. I also suspect, however, that he greatly overcharged us, and am wondering if anyone has experience with immigration lawyers and could tell me, more or less, how much is a fair fee to charge for the AOS, apart from filing fees which are now $1010. Also, is hiring a lawyer going to make my process go faster in this arena as well? I suppose just the fact that there are not likely to be RFEs make it go a lot faster.

Second, I was reading the guide for getting a SSN, and it says that you have to have a valid non-work reason to apply for a number, but it doesnt say what that could include. My husband wants his so that we can apply for a joint checking account, as i have tried at several banks, and no one will let him add his name to my account without a SSN. I have read in other threads that there are some banks, like Bank of America that can, but I havent been so lucky. Is that a valid non work reason? Also, one of the forms of identification needed for applying for a SSN is a US passport/license/id card, but we cant seem to get one of those without a SSN. What am I missing here? It seems like a crazy vicious cycle, you need A, but in order to get A, you need B, the only way to get B, is if you have A. Am I not understanding this right?

Lastly, Where do I find out what is his Alien Reg Number, or if he has one?

Thanks sooo much, this is all so confusing. And I thought just getting the Visa was the hardest part... Thank goodness for VJ...

maddie

We had used a lawyer for the 129-F, and I was very pleased at how quickly our case moved (NOA1-Visa granted, 4.5 months) and suspect that had much to do with the fact that we had a lawyer. I also suspect, however, that he greatly overcharged us,

I had about the same timeline ~5months to get the visa for my husband, and we did not use a lawyer. We saved money & got it done in the same time as you. My recommendation is that if you have a simple case (no waivers, no messy past) that you can file it on your own, with the help of VJ of course! :thumbs:

As for AOS attorneys, if you choose that route, I heard they charge anywhere from $1000 (plus USCIS fees) to $4500. Crazy ranges, since they are only putting together papers you hand them, and mail them out.

If you feel confident you can organize the papers in a nice packet, save the money and skip an attorney :)

12140.gif

This will answer your questions on the SSN:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

Pay attention to section C of the following link in particular:

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx...33;opendocument

If I'm reading it right, it essentially states you're allowed to get an SSN and they shouldn't be asking any questions.

Your card will say "employment only with DHS authorization" or some such thing but that's it. Follow the guide on this site, print out the relevant section for K-1 visa holders and show that to the SSA employee if they give you trouble...

You can find your A number on the NOA2 of your 129F petition.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

We are using a lawyer and paid him $3800 for all the AOS/EAD/AP process.

It's also include joining us to the AOS interview.

It is not faster since he have already messed a few things up with wrong codes and other things on those formular.

But at least he paid for a refile on our EAD that was denied.

If we didn't had a little problem from the past we would do it all ourself with help from VJ.

Best luck for you

Anette

usa01.gif

Mike and Anettedk04.gif

03-07-07 Anette arrived in San Diego on a K-1 Visa

04-04-07 Married in Las Vegas

lovebirds.gif

AOS

06-01-07 Mailed AOS/AP to NBC

06-12-07 Recieved NOA by mail for AOS

07-10-07 Biometric appointment for AOS

08-03-07 AOS touched after they recieved RFE

08-14-07 Approval notice on AP is sent

08-18-07 Approval notice on AP recieved

09-07-07 Recieved Interview date by mail

10-23-07 AOS Interview / Approved

10-24-07 Card production ordered

10-29-07 Welcome Letter recieved

11-02-07 Greencard recieved

Remove Condition

08-05-09 Mailed I-751 to CSC

08-10-09 NOA1 Receipt date

08-15-09 Recieved NOA1 by mail

08-20-09 Recieved BIO date by mail

09-04-09 Biometric Appointment

09-08-09 Touch

11-25-09 Card production ordered

12-03-09 Approval Letter recieved

12-04-09 Greencard recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For our AOS application, we hired a lawyer. Our case, now that I look at it, is pretty straight forward but I'm young and didn't know if I could handle it myself. We were charged $2,500 (pretty pricey) but we researched a lot of lawyers before we settled on one that had a lot of experience. They will not make your case go any faster. I was just more comfortable letting someone with experience file my application. However I still got an RFE but that was my fault as I filed with a short form birth cert. and not a long form birth certificate. The lawyer told me at the time of filing to request my long form from my country because USCIS would want it. They were right.

If you came on a K-1, it was my understanding that you are eligible for an SSN.

A lot of things in the immigration can be catch 22s. You just have to sort through the wording. You will find that the AOS process may be a lot tougher than your visa process. :)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A lawyer has no bearing on how fast USCIS processes cases or how soon a foreign consulate schedules interviews.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/display...um=19&pos=1

The non immigrant visa number is the 1 number (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I also heard it's red.

As far as the SS#: a K1 visa is considered to be a work permit (although if you don't get the stamp at the POE it doesn't really apply when you want to work), but as far as getting a SS number, as long as the I-94 isn't expired (at least 1 to 2 weeks before expiration date) you can use this + a passport to get a SS number.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.