Anaar

Received NOA2 - need help with some related questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malta
Timeline

Hello,

We just received our NOA2 after 289 days, we are so happy. :)

I have some questions though please. If anyone could help me out I would be so grateful.

1. I know my fiancé the petitioner has to fill in the I-134, does he need to mail it to me after he fills it in or can he just scan it for me? 
  2. Do I need the I-134 filled in in order for me to be able to go ahead and do the I-160 online?
  3. I booked my flight for February a while ago to go and see my fiancé in the US, if by some miracle the interview is done before then and I get the K-1 visa, can I not use it and use my ESTA as normal and then use the K-1 visa with the sealed envelope later within the 6 months time frame that I have for moving? there's no way I will be able to move by February unfortunately.
  4. If not, can I ask the Embassy not to schedule my interview before February? as the flights are non refundable.
  5. What are the original docs that my fiancé needs to give me for the interview? and which can be scans only?
  6. For the interview, do I need a copy of the I-129F form that we sent to USCIS, as unfortunately we forgot to make a copy of it before we mailed it out.

1 hour ago, Anaar said:

Hello,

I have some questions though please. If anyone could help me out I would be so grateful.

1. I know my fiancé the petitioner has to fill in the I-134, does he need to mail it to me after he fills it in or can he just scan it for me? 
  2. Do I need the I-134 filled in in order for me to be able to go ahead and do the I-160 online?
  3. I booked my flight for February a while ago to go and see my fiancé in the US, if by some miracle the interview is done before then and I get the K-1 visa, can I not use it and use my ESTA as normal and then use the K-1 visa with the sealed envelope later within the 6 months time frame that I have for moving? there's no way I will be able to move by February unfortunately.
  4. If not, can I ask the Embassy not to schedule my interview before February? as the flights are non refundable.
  5. What are the original docs that my fiancé needs to give me for the interview? and which can be scans only?
  6. For the interview, do I need a copy of the I-129F form that we sent to USCIS, as unfortunately we forgot to make a copy of it before we mailed it out.

1.  Scan

2. No

3.  Maybe but at the discretion of the border agent

4.  Applicant typically schedules interview

5.  Information from the Consulate will typically indicate but for the most part nothing

6. No

On 11/16/2023 at 7:59 AM, Anaar said:

Hello,

Does the letter with instructions specifically say the original I-134 Affidavit of support? 

Each country is different so if the instructions say original, you’d want the signed original mailed to you, for this one (after the petitioner scans/copies it, so you have a copy).  

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
On 11/16/2023 at 10:37 AM, IWander said:

1.  Scan

I disagree with 1. 

OP, I think it would not be much to have your sponsor print out the I-134 and sign it with ink and then send it to you by express mail. Please also consider that just, yesterday the brand new I-134 form was provided by USCIS. Use this new form. Your sponsor also needs to call the IRS and request both tax transcripts and tax returns for the previous 3 years that have available records. It's an automated phone service and I got my documents around 2 weeks later, (1-800-829-1040) 

Also, why not provide W-2s, and any employment verification letters, a letter from your sponsor's boss AND Pay stubs for the most recent year (2023) to show on-going income. You really want to over-prepare for the income stuff considering how easy it is. But, definitely get an ORIGINAL, signed I-134

https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

2. - You can do the DS-160 whenever. The consulate will tell you how to provide the I-134, for me, we just bring it in person.
3. - It's pretty rare to be allowed in the U.S. to see your fiancé on a tourist visa before getting the K-1, we were denied for that exact purpose. I wouldn't want to make the interview any more complicated. I wouldn't bring it up.
4. - You will schedule your interview most likely after the DS-160 phase
5. - Here is what I have so far (from the American):
    - 3 year tax returns, 3 year tax transcripts, 3 year W-2s, 3 year 1099s (if any), and anything for 2023 such as 1 year pay stubs, 1 year bank statements, employment evidence letter, letter from employer, any other financial proof of employment your boss can provide
    - Signed, original I-134 (11/09/23 edition)
    - NOA1 & NOA2 letters, (might be ok with copies not sure. Make copies anyway but he can just keep the copies and send you the originals) NOA2 is essential
    - DS-160 confirmation page (printed)
    - NVC welcome letter (printed)
    - Receipt of paid fee for scheduling the interview / interview appointment copy
    - Copy of I-129F if possible
    - copies of original evidence you provided with I-129f
    - Evidence of on-going relationship (since filing for I-129f), any in-person meetings for example, chat logs, pictures, whatever
    - Marriage plans/location in the U.S. for when you arriver on the K-1 visa
    - Letters from sponsor's family members/friends saying that he is single and your relationship is valid. If they can get the letters notarized that would be perfect too

Don't forget all the stuff you need, likely sealed medical check, sealed police background checks, it just depends on what the embassy tells you to either send them or bring with you. Once the NVC sends off your info to the embassy, the embassy will contact either you or the sponser.
GL

15 hours ago, Kai&Mac said:

I disagree with 1. 

OP, I think it would not be much to have your sponsor print out the I-134 and sign it with ink and then send it to you by express mail. Please also consider that just, yesterday the brand new I-134 form was provided by USCIS. Use this new form. Your sponsor also needs to call the IRS and request both tax transcripts and tax returns for the previous 3 years that have available records. It's an automated phone service and I got my documents around 2 weeks later, (1-800-829-1040) 

Also, why not provide W-2s, and any employment verification letters, a letter from your sponsor's boss AND Pay stubs for the most recent year (2023) to show on-going income. You really want to over-prepare for the income stuff considering how easy it is. But, definitely get an ORIGINAL, signed I-134

https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

2. - You can do the DS-160 whenever. The consulate will tell you how to provide the I-134, for me, we just bring it in person.
3. - It's pretty rare to be allowed in the U.S. to see your fiancé on a tourist visa before getting the K-1, we were denied for that exact purpose. I wouldn't want to make the interview any more complicated. I wouldn't bring it up.
4. - You will schedule your interview most likely after the DS-160 phase
5. - Here is what I have so far (from the American):
    - 3 year tax returns, 3 year tax transcripts, 3 year W-2s, 3 year 1099s (if any), and anything for 2023 such as 1 year pay stubs, 1 year bank statements, employment evidence letter, letter from employer, any other financial proof of employment your boss can provide
    - Signed, original I-134 (11/09/23 edition)
    - NOA1 & NOA2 letters, (might be ok with copies not sure. Make copies anyway but he can just keep the copies and send you the originals) NOA2 is essential
    - DS-160 confirmation page (printed)
    - NVC welcome letter (printed)
    - Receipt of paid fee for scheduling the interview / interview appointment copy
    - Copy of I-129F if possible
    - copies of original evidence you provided with I-129f
    - Evidence of on-going relationship (since filing for I-129f), any in-person meetings for example, chat logs, pictures, whatever
    - Marriage plans/location in the U.S. for when you arriver on the K-1 visa
    - Letters from sponsor's family members/friends saying that he is single and your relationship is valid. If they can get the letters notarized that would be perfect too

Don't forget all the stuff you need, likely sealed medical check, sealed police background checks, it just depends on what the embassy tells you to either send them or bring with you. Once the NVC sends off your info to the embassy, the embassy will contact either you or the sponser.
GL

The Department of State stopped requiring a wet signature years ago.  USCIS instructions do not apply.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.