P055UM

Doc Extension Letter and Global Entry

12 posts in this topic

I recently entered ORD with my conditional Green Card and used global entry.

I didn’t have to scan my Green Card (or even passport), the kiosk just took and picture of my face and then a CBP agent called my name, gave me a custom ticket and waved me through. This was the process for everybody in the Global Entry corral.

It got me thinking: does this mean the conventional wisdom that Global Entry doesn’t work with a RoC extension letter (or rather, without a valid machine readable Green Card) is no longer current?

I have to say it was an incredibly smooth process. After a decade plus of automated passport control in Europe for a variety of foreign passport holders, this really felt like a huge step up. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Very possible.  I found this from back in 2021 where the poster used GE with an expired GC and extension letter.  I assume you needed to scan your passport when entering.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I suspect a person would get flagged and have to present their documents to the CBP officer for verification.  That's how it was when I was on a work visa.  Even if you have to stop and show, it sure beats the long immi lineups.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Hi @AW1704

I had mixed success. One time I had experience just like yours - full facial recognition etc. Was a breeze.

But other times I got the old machines requiring to scan documents. Everybody around me also had to scan docs. This is when expired 2 year GC and extension letter wouldn't work and I had to see a human.

The interesting part, I believe in September 2022 I came through SFO and had full facial fecognition experience, but June 2023 had to scan the docs, and that was also at SFO.

Edited by OldUser

3 hours ago, mam521 said:

Even if you have to stop and show, it sure beats the long immi lineups

Agree! I would guess the main line was 1-2hrs long when I went through recently.

3 hours ago, OldUser said:

The interesting part, I believe in September 2022 I came through SFO and had full facial fecognition experience, but June 2023 had to scan the docs, and that was also at SFO.

That is interesting. I had assumed they had just completely pivoted to facial recognition. Interesting that they run both simultaneously.

42 minutes ago, AW1704 said:

That is interesting. I had assumed they had just completely pivoted to facial recognition. Interesting that they run both simultaneously.

Maybe things changed in the last 5 months. I'll be travelling this winter and will give an update. It won't be as interesting as I'll be travelling on 10 year GC now 😎

Edited by OldUser

For GE, they have been trying to implement machines with full facial recognition for a while. They’re great when they work as you don’t have to scan docs, but there are still enough cases when they don’t. I have been abroad three times this year, and the first time, it was a huge mess. IAD had the new machines, but every single person was sent for “human inspection” because the machines didn’t work properly. The second time, also at IAD, it was only every 5th or so person, and I was (luckily) not one of them. The third time, in Montréal, it was a breeze and took only 10 seconds. 

Now, that doesn’t answer the actual question of it being possible with an extension letter. In theory, it should work though as people waiting for RoC are permanent residents and should be listed as such in the database used for GE. I hope somebody with an expired GC and an extension letter will try and report soon. 

Edited by CMJuilland

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

11 minutes ago, CMJuilland said:

In theory, it should work though as people waiting for RoC are permanent residents and should be listed as such in the database used for GE. I hope somebody with an expired GC and an extension letter will try and report soon. 

I had that experience first hand.

The kiosk asks to scan document, you scan expired GC. There's no option to scan extension letter. The kiosk tells you to see an agent. You walk to them (still in GE line), they ask you for GC and extension letter. Sometimes they also ask for passport. Then they ask a question or two and let you in.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, CMJuilland said:

For GE, they have been trying to implement machines with full facial recognition for a while.

Not just GE anymore - full on passport control, multiple airports.  Soon enough, we're going to be a passportless, digital facial recognition image only with an electronic record and that's it.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Facial recognition technology everywhere scares me more than a little, even though my fear makes zero sense. After all, I had no problem submitting my picture, my naturalization cert, and a whole bunch of other PII about me to DoS for the issuance of my passport... (or I did it anyway because it's the only way to get a passport to travel). 

To get back to the actual topic of the thread, I could also argue in favor of facial recognition and other technologies as it would make the careful carrying of a paper extension letter obsolete, which would be great as it's issued for several years now (where are we? At four years?). THus, when implemented properly, it would make the whole ordeal faster and safer. Also, it could help with border security in general as it's a heck of a lot harder to steal or imitate somebody's face vs. stealing or falsifying documentation... 

Yet still. My analogue Gen X mind is not a fan, even though I have a bunch of good arguments. 

Mods, please delete if it derails everything too much. 

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Back when I had pending I-751 and doing regular land crossings into Canada I simply took my extension letter to the local enrollment center to update the GC expiration date and updated both systems (this was for Nexus so for every change US and Canadian systems need to be updated separately), Global Entry is less complicated.

As long as the Global Entry/Nexus card itself isn't expired the other entitlements can be updated. Now, coming back into the US I typically had to show both Nexus and GC (with extension letter) anyway since Nexus alone isn't proof of of lawful status when you're not US/Canadian citizen.

I don't recall if I did any airport entry during this time though - worst case you'll just get flagged and have to show extension letter to an officer.

45 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Back when I had pending I-751 and doing regular land crossings into Canada I simply took my extension letter to the local enrollment center to update the GC expiration date and updated both systems (this was for Nexus so for every change US and Canadian systems need to be updated separately), Global Entry is less complicated.

As long as the Global Entry/Nexus card itself isn't expired the other entitlements can be updated. Now, coming back into the US I typically had to show both Nexus and GC (with extension letter) anyway since Nexus alone isn't proof of of lawful status when you're not US/Canadian citizen.

I don't recall if I did any airport entry during this time though - worst case you'll just get flagged and have to show extension letter to an officer.

I tried updating info with GE enrollment center twice. Every time I was told by staff it's impossible while I-751 is pending. 

The problem is with kiosk when it asks for document (GC). If it's expired, it won't allow to proceed and refer to human.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.