QuinnQ

Early N-400 Submission: IRS Document Timing

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

I am facing a scenario where early submission of my N-400 form could be beneficial due to a family situation requiring travel soon. I am considering filing my N-400 in October 2023, three months prior to completing my 5th year of IRS tax filings which will be finalized in January 2024. My continuous residency requirement has already been met.

My local USCIS field office has an average N-400 processing time of 9 months, projecting my interview around July 2024, post completion of the 5-year tax filing requirement.

Here are my queries:

1. Is it permissible to submit the N-400 form now and provide the 5th-year IRS documents later at the interview?
  2. Or, is it a prerequisite to have 5 years of tax filings at the time of N-400 submission itself?

I contacted USCIS but got no clear guidance on the IRS document submission timing.

Seeking insights here before considering legal consultations.

Thanks for any guidance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

file as soon as u qualify

your tax statements will be the most recent ones

you can provide 2023 at the interview 

USCIS guidelines from following USCIS siteUSCIS guidelines from following USCIS sites

page 2  under the Heading

Have you reported your income on your income tax forms?

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/G-1151.pdf

Your tax returns are very important proof that you are eligible for naturalization. On the day of your interview, bring certified tax returns for the last 5 years

USCIS guidelines from following USCIS site

Edited by JeanneAdil

2 hours ago, QuinnQ said:

Is it permissible to submit the N-400 form now and provide the 5th-year IRS documents later at the interview?

Yes.  Tax documents fall under additional evidence and are not required (though recommended) to be submitted with the N400 form.

Here is the official guidance from USCIS, listing "Tax Returns and Overdue Taxes" under documents to bring to the N400 interview, and not under documents to submit with form N400 -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-400instr.pdf

Timeline

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the responses I've received so far. I just want to double-check and make sure I've got this right:

So that means that I can submit my N-400 form this week (Oct 2023) without including any tax evidence and then present all 5 years (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023) of my tax documents during the interview somewhere in 2024? I want to be completely sure about this step before I move forward.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by QuinnQ

On 10/16/2023 at 7:15 PM, QuinnQ said:

So that means that I can submit my N-400 form this week (Oct 2023) without including any tax evidence and then present all 5 years (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023) of my tax documents during the interview somewhere in 2024? I want to be completely sure about this step before I move forward.

You can add those later if you want. 

Having said that, I would personally just add all the tax transcripts you currently have (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022) and then add 2023 once you have it available. 

Edited by Melc

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 10/16/2023 at 7:15 PM, QuinnQ said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the responses I've received so far. I just want to double-check and make sure I've got this right:

Thanks again for your help!

The deadline for submitting 2023 taxes is April 15th, 2024. USCIS cannot request to see 2023 taxes before then.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline

Hi: recgarding "The deadline for submitting 2023 taxes is April 15th, 2024. USCIS cannot request to see 2023 taxes before then."

Sure but if I file in January and bring my TurboTax PDF file printed, it shows that  filed I suppose. And that is what matters?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
16 hours ago, QuinnQ said:

Hi: recgarding "The deadline for submitting 2023 taxes is April 15th, 2024. USCIS cannot request to see 2023 taxes before then."

Sure but if I file in January and bring my TurboTax PDF file printed, it shows that  filed I suppose. And that is what matters?

Are you talking about you filing your N400 in January, or your taxes?

If you are talking about your taxes, yes, the TTax PDF serves that purpose. Also, IRS tax transcript is usually generated within a month of filing, so you'd have it by February. You don't mention your field office, but my N400 took about 7 months from the time I submitted to when I had my interview. If you file now, you're probably having your interview in April- May 2024 and your tax transcript will be ready by then. 

Additionally, if you're truly worried about it, file your taxes first, and file your citizenship after that.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.