smore

K1 Visa or Spouse Visa Quicker

76 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, IWander said:

You need to lay out a timeline of both and figure out which one will finish quicker then.  Spousal petitions are about 2 months faster to clear the USCIS.  Do you have sufficient information to file the the I129f today?  How soon can you get over the the PI to get married.  You need to figure this out and put this on the front end of the timeline.

Have not met in person yet, have that planned. So cannot file the K1 yet. But we are just thinking what is best if all goes well when we meet, would K1 be better or return for marriage and than file spousal. Just kicking around ideas and thoughts, trying to be proactive and all, both of us are trying to be proactive.

44 minutes ago, smore said:

I am not sure you read into things each time I ask a question and go WAY OFF in left field when nothing in my question or responses suggests what you are referring to.

I am almost always quote something in particular when responding. If I mistook what you meant when you said it was so confusing after @Crazy Cat posted factual information, I apologize. Searching aimlessly on Google can definitely get confusing. Half of my job is searching Google so you get good at targeting your search terms but even for me it can lead me to a lot of incorrect answers.

4 minutes ago, smore said:

Have not met in person yet, have that planned. So cannot file the K1 yet. But we are just thinking what is best if all goes well when we meet, would K1 be better or return for marriage and than file spousal. Just kicking around ideas and thoughts, trying to be proactive and all, both of us are trying to be proactive.

If you want the fastest, then when you go there to meet, schedule a Utah wedding while you are there. Not something I would recommend because if you are planning to spend a lifetime together, a week or two of in person time is not near enough "together" time.

4 minutes ago, smore said:

Better is a relative term.  There are positives and negatives to either visa you just need to figure out your priorities and decise. 

My wife came as a k1 and we do not have any regrets as her ability to immediately work or travel was not a priority.

3 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

If you want the fastest, then when you go there to meet, schedule a Utah wedding while you are there. Not something I would recommend because if you are planning to spend a lifetime together, a week or two of in person time is not near enough "together" time.

Agreed, i went to the Philippines 5 times before we went for the visa.  I can't imagine doing it on the first.

28 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

I am almost always quote something in particular when responding. If I mistook what you meant when you said it was so confusing after @Crazy Cat posted factual information, I apologize. Searching aimlessly on Google can definitely get confusing. Half of my job is searching Google so you get good at targeting your search terms but even for me it can lead me to a lot of incorrect answers.

Yes the searches on google come up with many results and alot of conflicting and confusing info. Even when I set the timeline on google to only current info like a month ago it still results in so many results and conflicting and confusing info. That is why I figured I better ask the question here to get some real life data and current data. Its helped to get an idea of a timeline. Wish the timelines where not so long for either, the end result is to be together married, just 2 ways to go about it and sounds like both are now about the same time frame, just one a bit quicker, but not by that much. It gives us something to discuss as we plan. Its to bad we have to plan things and discuss things like this in a relationship, talking about how to go about waiting for the government to decide on our being together timeline. But it is the way it is, but being prepared should help hopefully with a smooth as possible process.

29 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

We both want a church wedding, because of our religions. So as much as we do want to find the fastest process which will result in marriage either way, we also need to be patient as well with whatever visa we choose and also follow our own wants and wishes as well. We mainly will spend time together, verifying what we feel for one another, than plan another trip for marriage, unless the K1 becomes an option we choose.

30 minutes ago, IWander said:

Better is a relative term.  There are positives and negatives to either visa you just need to figure out your priorities and decise. 

My wife came as a k1 and we do not have any regrets as her ability to immediately work or travel was not a priority.

Yes I agree we will have to discuss our priorities, wants, needs, etc. But this gives me some info to present and than opens up the communication. Feels weird to have to plan things out like this, but than again overseas is not a normal relationship process and I am learning to adapt to how its very different.

30 minutes ago, IWander said:

Agreed, i went to the Philippines 5 times before we went for the visa.  I can't imagine doing it on the first.

I guess everyone has a different amount of time needed, same here in USA many get married soon and others take a long time. I think its all about how you feel, right now we are still building that foundation, but we are also trying to prepare for future also if things continue to go well, esp after meeting. We both are not getting any younger, we both are older and want to be able to enjoy being together. We both know what we want.

1 minute ago, smore said:

I guess everyone has a different amount of time needed, same here in USA many get married soon and others take a long time. I think its all about how you feel, right now we are still building that foundation, but we are also trying to prepare for future also if things continue to go well, esp after meeting. We both are not getting any younger, we both are older and want to be able to enjoy being together. We both know what we want.

This is not so comparable to a domestic relationship it is so much more than just getting to know her, don't forget you also have a new culture to get your head around.

The saying is you don't just marry a Filipina, you marry the entire family and do not underestimate that dynamic cuz if you don't it will likely have a negative impact on your relationship.

2 minutes ago, IWander said:

This is not so comparable to a domestic relationship it is so much more than just getting to know her, don't forget you also have a new culture to get your head around.

The saying is you don't just marry a Filipina, you marry the entire family and do not underestimate that dynamic cuz if you don't it will likely have a negative impact on your relationship.

I agree its not very comparable. I do agree alot to learn about the culture. We are of same religion so our values aline alot. I like the culture, the family aspect of the culture there. So I welcome getting to know the culture, the family, etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, smore said:

Unfortunately you don't know what you don't know so you can't really appreciate the advice others have giving you international relationships and cultural differences that can distort what kind of relationship you really have.

But in anycase, you are right about being proactive.  When you go there, make sure at the airport you take photos of the boarding passes, and then photos of yourself with her, and photos of you with her and her family, and maybe her with her friends.

And note the date, and location of each photo. You'll need this for the K-1.

And since you want a Church wedding, not a Utah wedding, the fastest thing to get her to USA given what you described will definately be the K-1 as long as you don't mind the disadvantages of it. 

Finally, given how much you don't know, and your confusion, I would recommend you use a professional agency. 

Its going to save you a HUGE amount of time and confusion and mis-information on the internet through the whole journey.

Thats what i did .. I used a agency that specializes in Filipino K-1 and CR-1, thats mostly all the do, it was the best $600 I spent. I'm not here to advertise for them, I just think you need it .. you can google to find them or send me PM .. and then you can call them for a free consult and decide for yourself.

Edited by W199

I suggest you meet in person first.  I remember your previous posts and I think it's not your first virtual relationship.  As much as there can be virtual chemistry, some things, you will only know/see/observe/feel in person.  Try to spend as much time together as possible. 

4 hours ago, smore said:

We both want a church wedding, because of our religions

It will be a 3 week trip if you marry there. Just something to consider.

2 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

I suggest you meet in person first.  I remember your previous posts and I think it's not your first virtual relationship.  As much as there can be virtual chemistry, some things, you will only know/see/observe/feel in person.  Try to spend as much time together as possible. 

Most definitely this. I spent 2-3 hours every day (yes, every single day) with my wife talking in Skype, We did this for 6 years before we got married and then continued for 3 years while waiting for immigration. We knew each other better than most people  in a conventional relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.