Mello3

No IGRA Tests Not Available??

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance and son have the medical appointment today and I just saw this posted on their website. If I understand this correctly this means because of the shortage of tests he (9 years old) cannot have this test and therefore we cannot go to our embassy interview. Is that correct? Our embasssy interview is currently scheduled for Dec 5th but because of his age he is not even required to be there. If I understand this right once they get more test in they will notify us to reschedule? I dont trust them to reach out to each and every person to let us all know and all the appointments will be booked very quickly if/when they do.

Has anyone ever see this before? What exactly is the IGRA test? If they do not release the medical report are we stuck because we cannot have the interview? We have purchased our tickets already and i have taken time off work so I am concerned about the timing of this announcement. Has this happened before and does anyone have any guidance on how to proceed?

image.jpeg

Edited by Mello3
correction

• Mello3 changed the title to No IGRA Tests Not Available??
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Still  attend the interview

during covid many could not do the medical and the embassy put case on hold while waiting for medical exam results

its faster than trying to reschedule 

nterferon-Gamma Release Assays (IGRAs) are whole-blood tests that can aid in diagnosing Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Still  attend the interview

during covid many could not do the medical and the embassy put case on hold while waiting for medical exam results

its faster than trying to reschedule 

nterferon-Gamma Release Assays (IGRAs) are whole-blood tests that can aid in diagnosing Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection

Thank you...we still plan to attend, just not sure what happens after and if we will be able to have my son tested in time for the interview. 

27 minutes ago, Mello3 said:

What exactly is the IGRA test? If they do not release the medical report are we stuck because we cannot have the interview? We have purchased our tickets already and i have taken time off work so I am concerned about the timing of this announcement. Has this happened before and does anyone have any guidance on how to proceed?

IGRA test is TB screening that SLEC administers to child applicants.  Adult applicants have chest x-ray, instead of IGRA test.  Manila requires K2 applicants (even 9-year-olds) to attend the interview at the embassy, mainly to collect their biometrics.  If your K2 has not completed SLEC medical (including IGRA test) prior to the interview date, you will be required to book another interview appointment for the child.

Hopefully you purchased refundable tickets.  This situation is an example of why the Department of State advises all applicants not to book non-refundable tickets before getting the visa on hand.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Mello3 said:

Thank you...we still plan to attend, just not sure what happens after and if we will be able to have my son tested in time for the interview. 

Many went thru interview (during and following covid because of inabliity to schedule medicals)  and then did medical

it puts u in limbo but still is faster than rescheduling

1 minute ago, Chancy said:

IGRA test is TB screening that SLEC administers to child applicants.  Adult applicants have chest x-ray, instead of IGRA test.  Manila requires K2 applicants (even 9-year-olds) to attend the interview at the embassy, mainly to collect their biometrics.  If your K2 has not completed SLEC medical (including IGRA test) prior to the interview date, you will be required to book another interview appointment for the child.

Hopefully you purchased refundable tickets.  This situation is an example of why the Department of State advises all applicants not to book non-refundable tickets before getting the visa on hand.

I  was assuming tickets were to fly to interview from her home 

8 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Many went thru interview (during and following covid because of inabliity to schedule medicals)  and then did medical

That may be true for other consulates, but this is the Philippine regional forum.  I had hoped you would have remembered by now that Manila does NOT allow applicants to proceed with the visa interview before completing the medical.  In all my time here on VJ and from reading old posts in this sub-forum, I have not seen any exception to this rule in Manila.

8 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

You're right -- I forgot about tickets to fly in for the interview.  If that's the case, then OP may have to extend their trip to Manila to wait for when IGRA tests become available.

Edited by Chancy
clarification

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Chancy said:

That may be true for other consulates, but this is the Philippine regional forum.  I had hoped you would have remembered by now that Manila does NOT allow applicants to proceed with the visa interview before completing the medical.  In all my time here on VJ and from reading old posts in this sub-forum, I have not seen any exception to this rule in Manila.

I wish all consulates followed the same rules

it sxxks that they don't 

Sorry i did not know and i apoligise

3 hours ago, Mello3 said:

Our embasssy interview is currently scheduled for Dec 5th

That is almost 2 months away. I would not start worrying yet.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Chancy said:

They are not refundable but changable with a fee. Hopefully since our medical is today and the interview appt isnt until Dec we will have enough time to get it resolved. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

it puts u in limbo but still is faster than rescheduling

The tickets were for me to fly into the Philippines to attend (or wait outside) the interview appt and then we all fly back home together. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Chancy said:

It actually says this explicitly on the notice that no interviews will be given without the medical report.

4 hours ago, Cheesehead22 said:

Our medical is on October 16th and interview on October 24thm should we reschedule? We have a 14 year old k2 included

Do your medical. Don't reschedule interview! What if they get a shipment in the day before your medical. Even if they can't complete the medical, only after that you reschedule.

Timeline
10 hours ago, Cheesehead22 said:

Our medical is on October 16th and interview on October 24thm should we reschedule? We have a 14 year old k2 included

ok, I dont understand what happened...but when she checked in she was told that there was a shortage on the tests and she would have to bring my son back and they would call to reschedule. Then when she got upstairs they actually did the test.

So apparantly there is a shortage but they still have some as of today. I agree with the other poster, I would not reschedule my appointment either. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, Cheesehead22 said:

Also, I was too afraid of some kind of mishap, the tb test results or some other craziness to schedule our medical that close to our interview. My nerves would be a wreck in that 9 day period in between.

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.