Jump to content

Name change after filing ROC


6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My spouse (US citizen) and I (LPR) have decided we want to have the same last name. For context, we are a same sex couple and at first chose to not follow the name change route. 


I have decided to take their name - my I-751 was recently filed (August 2023). Would it be best to wait until this is completed or can I update UCSIS with this information? I have an online account and there is an option to upload more documents. 


I was thinking of submitting paperwork with our local court, changing documents (ID, SSN, bank etc.), uploading this information and requesting for my application to be processed with my new name. 


Do you think this is an option? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the best option to change name is either at time of marriage (beginning of immigration journey) or at naturalization (end of immigration journey).


Why not wait for N-400 stage? You can change your name then and it will likely be easier than going through it now with pending ROC.

Edited by OldUser
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan

Another vote to wait.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 


Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.


August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!


In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia

I agree, if you are doing naturalization, I would wait for then.  If not planning the N400, then you will most likely need to go through the court.  If going through the court, I would also wait until the I751 is completed.


Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden

You don't need to go to court if you want to take your spouse's last name, the marriage certificate is the name change document if you decide to take their name. You can for instance bring your marriage certificate to SSA and update your name today. For other types of name changes (ie first/middle name, not related to marriage), you need to either go through court or wait until you file the N-400. 

For USCIS however, since you already filed, it's a hit or miss trying to get them to update your info. Legally it's not an issue, you have the marriage certificate to prove your name change, but it's well-known making changes with USCIS (whether it's a name or an address) is usually a royal pain in the butt. So you greencard may or may not have your married name on it if you send USCIS a letter or bring it up at a potential interview. You haven't filled out your timeline so it's harder to know how likely you are to get an interview or not. I had a name issue with my AOS application and was lucky enough to get an interview, so I could fix the name issue right there and then.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...