Irishchelseafc

DS-160 naming question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We are in process of filling out ds160. But are unsure how to file out the name section. In the end we want the name on her visa when she comes to usa to be [first name, middle name, surname]. But we know vietnam and chinda do it backwards from the western naming convention.  We hear allot of stories of people trying to correct on the form but the name still being [middle name, first name] on thier visa.

However I have also heard stories of people getting the order changed.. is it depending on the officer doing the interview,  the passport, or the ds160 form?

How did you all fill out the ds160 and what was the result? 

How would I go about getting the name put in the correct order? 

The name on the visa will be exactly the name that is in the foreign passport that is brought to the interview, no matter what is on the DS-160.

Edited by top_secret

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, top_secret said:

The name on the visa will be exactly the name that is in the foreign passport that is brought to the interview, no matter what is on the DS-160.

So then how does one get thier name order reversed once it is in the states for the paperwork like aos and the rest of them? I heard many people have trouble with that because they will always refer back to the ds160 or other paperwork filed previously or the visa. Which all has the name wrong..

Timeline
26 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Part I of bene's ds 160 

question 1  surname

question 2  given name

I know "where" to fill it out. The issue is in Vietnam and China thier passport is different than our. Example... most countries the order of name is [first],[middle],[last].

In some Asian countries thier passport looks like [last],[middle], [first].

So the issue arises when you try to tell them you want the name to be [first], [middle], [last]... but the embassy knows that isn't how the naming convention in their country. So often times thier visa will have thier middle name before thier first name as that is how they do it.. but when they come to the USA or any western country then it isnt correct because thier middle name will be listed first on thier identification and paperwork on any form that has a section for middle names.. thier first name would be in the middle name spot. It is an issue only specific countries face.

So for example.  My fiances name is Quỳnh Anh Thi Nguyen.

But her passport is listed as Nguyen Thi Quỳnh Anh. Nguyen being her surname, Thi being her middle, and Quỳnh Anh being her first. So if the embassy goes by how it is on her passport .. then on all her paperwork and on visa it will say surname [Nguyen] first name [Thi] middle name [Quỳnh Anh]. Which is incorrect. 

I guess it depends if they go by the passport.. or by how you put it on the ds160. Some people have said they refer to passport, others have said they went by the ds160 only. So no one has a definitive answer.

Edited by Irishchelseafc

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Irishchelseafc said:

I know "where" to fill it out. The issue is in Vietnam and China thier passport is different than our. Example... most countries the order of name is [first],[middle],[last].

So the issue arises when you try to tell them you want the name to be [first], [middle], [last]... but the embassy knows that isn't how the naming convention in their country. So often times thier visa will have thier middle name before thier first name as that is how they do it.. but when they come to the USA or any western country then it isnt correct because thier middle name will be listed first on thier identification and paperwork on any form that has a section for middle names.. thier first name would be in the middle name spot. It is an issue only specific countries face.

But her passport is listed as Nguyen Thi Quỳnh Anh. Nguyen being her surname, Thi being her middle, and Quỳnh Anh being her first. So if the embassy goes by how it is on her passport .. then on all her paperwork and on visa it will say surname [Nguyen] first name [Thi] middle name [Quỳnh Anh]. Which is incorrect. 

I guess it depends if they go by the passport.. or by how you put it on the ds160. Some people have said they refer to passport, others have said they went by the ds160 only. So no one has a definitive answer.

I realize that but u fill it out as the instructions say   1  surname  and 2 given name

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 9/26/2023 at 6:49 PM, Irishchelseafc said:

It doesn't matter which name order you put on DS160, the print out name on the Visa will based on the name on the passport. In this case, it will be Thi Quynh Anh Nguyen. Anyone with "ABCD " name will having the same problem. If this was an issue, you can request name change when doing AOS, or go go with that name and request a name change when apply for  naturalization.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Liam2021 said:

It doesn't matter which name order you put on DS160, the print out name on the Visa will based on the name on the passport. In this case, it will be Thi Quynh Anh Nguyen. Anyone with "ABCD " name will having the same problem. If this was an issue, you can request name change when doing AOS, or go go with that name and request a name change when apply for  naturalization.

Thank you.  I didn't know you could change name on future forms

. Thought it was all based off of the passport

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.