Teacher

hand sanitizer

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My mom was always clean....I suffered SOOOOO bad from allergies, I was just miserable all the time.

Needles, meds, puffers, everything and nothing worked.

We moved to a farm, chickens, hay, dust, manure, grass, dried grass, cut grass, EVERTHING that I was "allergic" to. My mom didn't have time to be so clean, not with us tracking everything everywhere.

After "dying" the first year, finding out I had taken shots for 4 years too long and having them stopped, my allergies started to go away.

It's exposure!! Or in the case of sanitizer non-exposure

I still have the odd fit in the summer, but that's all now.

My kids both have summer allergies too, so .......dunno

Edited by Tinker

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Some take it to an extreme, but washing your hands after using the john is a good thing, especially before handling food. E. Coli is a nasty critter who lives in our bowels and is sometimes deadly when ingested.
But recent studies have shown that plain-old soap (or, if you want a water-free, rubbing alcohol) takes off germs just as well as the fancy-schmancy anti-bacterial. Also, the anti-bacterials leave residues (where soap is rinsed off, and alcohol simply evaporates) which can spur resistant bugs.

I prefer regular soap too, I have to say though, I always carry a little bottle of sanitizer with me in case there is no soap available (ok, I travel a lot, I have seen MANY restrooms in my live so far). Convenient and worked out well for me. I guess when you use them moderately when everything else fails, it's fine.

I just can't imagine to use them 50 times aday just because I touched something...

One reason to always carry hand sanitizer and kleenex -

PORTAPOTTY

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Definitely over-sanitized.

Not only do the anti-bacterials kill all the bad stuff, they also destroy the bacteria that are good for us. And then bacteria get resistant and then we are all in trouble because our bodies have not learnt how to deal with the little buggers.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

I'm basing this on 'what makes sense to me' rather than scientific evidence as, uh, I'm not much of a sciencey type and don't have any scientific evidence, but... I do agree that people are too 'over-sanitized' these days, not just with the use of antibacterial hand sanitizer etc, but with the tendency of a lot of people to take antibiotics every time they have so much as a sniffle, etc etc. (I can't help noticing that these are the same people who are ALWAYS ill, so the antibiotics can't be doing them or their immune systems much good). How's your body supposed to develop a decent immune system if it's never exposed to anything to build up an immunity to...?!

I saw an ad last night for Band-Aids with built-in antibiotics... god, how did I ever survive my many childhood cuts and scrapes without a dose of penicillin to my poor grazed knees every time I tripped over in the playground....?!? Way to encourage mutant antibiotic-resistant bacteria!! :blink:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Some take it to an extreme, but washing your hands after using the john is a good thing, especially before handling food. E. Coli is a nasty critter who lives in our bowels and is sometimes deadly when ingested.
But recent studies have shown that plain-old soap (or, if you want a water-free, rubbing alcohol) takes off germs just as well as the fancy-schmancy anti-bacterial. Also, the anti-bacterials leave residues (where soap is rinsed off, and alcohol simply evaporates) which can spur resistant bugs.
I prefer regular soap too, I have to say though, I always carry a little bottle of sanitizer with me in case there is no soap available (ok, I travel a lot, I have seen MANY restrooms in my live so far). Convenient and worked out well for me. I guess when you use them moderately when everything else fails, it's fine.

I just can't imagine to use them 50 times aday just because I touched something...

What about wet-wipes instead of hand sanitiser? Usually wetted with an alco-based cleaner so it will evaporate off.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm basing this on 'what makes sense to me' rather than scientific evidence as, uh, I'm not much of a sciencey type and don't have any scientific evidence, but... I do agree that people are too 'over-sanitized' these days, not just with the use of antibacterial hand sanitizer etc, but with the tendency of a lot of people to take antibiotics every time they have so much as a sniffle, etc etc. (I can't help noticing that these are the same people who are ALWAYS ill, so the antibiotics can't be doing them or their immune systems much good). How's your body supposed to develop a decent immune system if it's never exposed to anything to build up an immunity to...?!

I saw an ad last night for Band-Aids with built-in antibiotics... god, how did I ever survive my many childhood cuts and scrapes without a dose of penicillin to my poor grazed knees every time I tripped over in the playground....?!? Way to encourage mutant antibiotic-resistant bacteria!! :blink:

Neosporin is a good thing to put on an open cut, especially on children, but once the wound is closed there's no need. My stepson recently cut his knee and his mother kept placing a bandaid on it even after it stopped bleeding. I took it off to let it air out and he got squirmy from the itching sensation of it drying, but after about 30 minutes, he forgot about it.

Timeline
Definitely over-sanitized.

Not only do the anti-bacterials kill all the bad stuff, they also destroy the bacteria that are good for us. And then bacteria get resistant and then we are all in trouble because our bodies have not learnt how to deal with the little buggers.

Taking acidophillus is a good way to keep a healthy supply of good bacteria in your system...it supposedly can even reduce acne.

allot of people are too poor to get allergies or at least, acknowledge them..as they are worried about food and shelter..

:huh: you need to buy allergies ?

just not sure about your choice of words ... do you mean afford meds?

obviously almaty just missed a word..........................

PORTAPOTTY

HERE HERE

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

allot of people are too poor to get allergies or at least, acknowledge them..as they are worried about food and shelter..

:huh: you need to buy allergies ?

just not sure about your choice of words ... do you mean afford meds?

obviously almaty just missed a word..........................

PORTAPOTTY

HERE HERE

thanks sister, you are correct.

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

"My British fiance says we are too sanitized. Maybe the kids are not having a chance to build up resistance to anything? "

there was a doctor on tv who said the same thing.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My daughter's school asks for hand sanitizer, anti-bacterial hand soap, and clorox wipes as part of their school supply list. :blink: They've asked for this every year she's been in school...even preschool. Gawd, why can't these kids just use regular soap?

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline
My daughter's school asks for hand sanitizer, anti-bacterial hand soap, and clorox wipes as part of their school supply list. :blink: They've asked for this every year she's been in school...even preschool. Gawd, why can't these kids just use regular soap?

I think it's understandable. When my kids were in grade school, they'd get sick often being that they weren't very good at covering their mouth when they coughed or sneezed. Also, I recall one of them telling me they'd go straight into the lunch line and with only 40 minutes to wait in line and then eat didn't get them enough time to run to the bathroom and wash their hands first.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

I definitely agree that people have become overly cautious about stuff like cleaning. Unfortunately my soon-to-be MIL is always popping pills and taking medication for incredibly mild ailments, and she's always complaining about being sick. I come from an Asian family which brews a lot of Chinese herbal remedies at home and when I told my MIL about that, she asked if that was safe. I'm still alive and healthy, aren't I? ^_^ I also never take any kind of regular medication unless I absolutely have to (like if I get a migraine at work and I have 5 hours left on my shift... yeah, I'll take an Advil Liqui-Gel for that).

Short of that, the smell of hand sanitizer makes me ick, and we have it at work everywhere. I just run upstairs and use the Jergens liquid soap by the tap!

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA