AttachedAtTheHip

Advice on contacting the USCIS - Should I?

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

Needing a little bit of advice here and would appreciate any input on what to do next.
I moved to the USA from the UK on a K1 Visa on September 1st, 2021. We got married within the 90 day timeframe on October 15th, 2021.
We filed for Adjustment of Status on November 8th and an RFE was requested on November 18th from the USCIS (we believe it was due to scanning the papers incorrectly on our part) which we promptly addressed and resent the same day. A biometrics appointment was also scheduled at this time which we went to successfully. The response to the USCIS was received and they "began working on the case again" on December 16th, 2021. 

We got a social security no. and a temporary work visa as we had asked for both of these in the AOS
Apart from this, we have heard nothing for 646 days regarding the AOS

Should we now try to contact the USCIS about this? We seem to have waited far longer than others we can see. I'm having a hard time not being anxious about it now.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Edit: - My AOS should be being processed in Norfolk, VA. From what I can see, there really isn't that many AOS green cards that get processed there. Should my wait be this long for this location?

Edited by AttachedAtTheHip

According to processing times, it takes about 20 months for 80% of cases:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Also, based on your filing date:

"The earliest you can submit questions is July 29, 2024. Please do not contact us before this date."

If you could afford Writ Of Mandamus ($402 for self filing or ~$5000 with a laywer) you could try that route.

Edited by OldUser

16 hours ago, Chancy said:

What is your I-485 case status at https://egov.uscis.gov/ ?

Hi there, it says "On December 16, 2021, we received your response to our Request for Evidence for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number (removed). USCIS has begun working on your case again. We will send you a decision or notify you if we need something from you. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."

Edited by Chancy
removed PII

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

@AttachedAtTheHip is I-130 approved?

I never applied for an I-130, my husband applied for an I-129F and it was approved. I came over to the USA on a K1 Fiancé visa and now awaiting news/approval for AOS (I-485)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
15 hours ago, AttachedAtTheHip said:

Hi everyone, 

Needing a little bit of advice here and would appreciate any input on what to do next.
I moved to the USA from the UK on a K1 Visa on September 1st, 2021. We got married within the 90 day timeframe on October 15th, 2021.
We filed for Adjustment of Status on November 8th and an RFE was requested on November 18th from the USCIS (we believe it was due to scanning the papers incorrectly on our part) which we promptly addressed and resent the same day. A biometrics appointment was also scheduled at this time which we went to successfully. The response to the USCIS was received and they "began working on the case again" on December 16th, 2021. 

We got a social security no. and a temporary work visa as we had asked for both of these in the AOS
Apart from this, we have heard nothing for 646 days regarding the AOS

Should we now try to contact the USCIS about this? We seem to have waited far longer than others we can see. I'm having a hard time not being anxious about it now.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Edit: - My AOS should be being processed in Norfolk, VA. From what I can see, there really isn't that many AOS green cards that get processed there. Should my wait be this long for this location?

If I were you, I wouldn’t worry about this at all.

Actually, I would be hoping and praying that they don’t pull some smartypant nonsense and approve your AOS before the 2 year wedding anniversary. But it is USCIS, it’s almost as if they never want people escaping that dreaded ROC stage if they can. 

I have a strong feeling they will adjudicate your case before the 2 years on October 14. They are that petty. Please don’t stress, just relax 😂. If it’s what you want, then I pray you hear from them soonest. Hehehe 

• 2 weeks later...

We have decided not to contact the USCIS at this time, as you guys have said it appears they are just -really- backed up. Thank you for the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.