Kryssie1067

DS-160 Website Glitching For Anyone Else?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey guys,

After receiving my case number from NVC last week, my fiancé and I have been trying to fill out the DS-160 form. However, the weirdest glitch keeps happening. Specifically 3 types of glitches:

1) After selecting a location, the page will refresh. This is the worst. When this happens, my location selection will disappear and go back to “Select One”. I will try to do so again and it will no longer be available. Literally it will be stuck on “Select One” with no location options (see this screen recording https://streamable.com/ghw9fc )

2) The other glitch is that SOMETIMES after the refresh, we may get lucky and the location stays put and all I have to do is put in the code, and finally I am able to at least get to the “Computer Fraud Act” page. I will quickly select our security and agree, save our application number, and continue. As soon as this button is pressed, the page refreshes back to the “Select Location” page.. again.

Having the Application ID does not help in trying to ”retrieve an application” because I did not get to start the application.

3) The 3rd glitch that happens is when I used my phone to try another attempt. With this device, I was able to start an application and fill out the first page including name and date of birth information. I have saved our Application ID, and quickly try to save at least this first page — and what happens when I click the “save” button? You guessed it! Back to the “Select Location” homepage 🫠

But I don’t give up, I now have some form of an Application ID and attempted to type some information in on the first page of the application even though “saving” it appeared to trigger the glitch again. I try to “Retrieve Application” this time, but the system says that our Surname and DOB is incorrect — which it is not. To even get to this part was difficult, because as soon as I type one letter of the Application ID, “Session Time Out” appears — literally after 2.1 seconds of being on the page.

To save you the trouble…

Yes, I have refreshed. Does not work.
Yes, I have switched my browser between Google Chrome and Firefox. Still glitches.

Yes, I have restarted my laptop.

Yes, my network connection is currently excellently stable, but still, I switched to another network just to be sure — still glitches.

Yes, I have tried other devices, including two other laptops and my phone.

And I have waited two days before trying again, assuming it might be a technical error that may be fixed if I give it some time. But nothing. Absolutely nothing has fixed the glitch.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What do I do? I’m a little worried about it because getting help on this is clearly impossible, and we received our NVC case number recently and I’m not sure what to do if we can not fill out the form.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much in advance.

PS: Here’s a short clip to show you one of the glitches in action: https://streamable.com/ghw9fc

7 hours ago, Chancy said:

What is your case status on CEAC?  If it's not "In Transit" or "Ready", no need to fill out the DS-160 yet.

Very good question. I wish I could know this information except the website glitches for me. It doesn’t accept my Case Number as it keeps saying “Invalid”, and the number is directly copied from my letter. When it doesn’t say invalid, it goes to an error page displaying an ID to send to non-existent “support”. I’m simply confused 😭

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
On 9/19/2023 at 12:04 PM, Kryssie1067 said:

It doesn’t accept my Case Number as it keeps saying “Invalid”

and you select "immigrant" on the ceac website?

2 hours ago, Geraldin said:

and you select "immigrant" on the ceac website?

Hi Geraldin,

Good question. I was indeed selecting “Nonimmigrant” at first but later realized I should select “Immigrant”. My case is ready.

I am happy to say that I have completed the form. The glitch still persists but has reduced a bit. The site times out every 5-10 seconds so between typing responses it would glitch. I had to “retrieve my application” at least 40 times and continuously switch my browsers back and forth between errors.

I still do not know the cause of the glitch. I wish I did so that I could help someone else who might be facing the same thing. What has helped me is simply time and persistently going in and out between errors.

Thank you all so much for trying to assist me. May you all also find help in your times of need.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 9/22/2023 at 3:31 AM, Kryssie1067 said:

Hi Geraldin,

Good question. I was indeed selecting “Nonimmigrant” at first but later realized I should select “Immigrant”. My case is ready.

I am happy to say that I have completed the form. The glitch still persists but has reduced a bit. The site times out every 5-10 seconds so between typing responses it would glitch. I had to “retrieve my application” at least 40 times and continuously switch my browsers back and forth between errors.

I still do not know the cause of the glitch. I wish I did so that I could help someone else who might be facing the same thing. What has helped me is simply time and persistently going in and out between errors.

Thank you all so much for trying to assist me. May you all also find help in your times of need.

I had that same timeout experience with the site. It really tested my patience. Absolute worst website ever.

Edited by Stook

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 9/22/2023 at 5:31 AM, Kryssie1067 said:

I was indeed selecting “Nonimmigrant” at first but later realized I should select “Immigrant”.

This is correct.  The confusion arises because the K-1 is a "hybrid" visa -- a nonimmigrant visa with immigrant intent.  It's processed at the Immigrant Visa Units of the consulates.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.