xfilez76

I-485 Request for Marital Evidence - no response

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all, my husband received an RFE for his I-485 for marriage proof. We submitted our response online on 6/25/2023. 60 days have gone by and nothing. We sent an inquiry online on 8/26. How long should we expect to get a response? Thanks much!

~~ Topic moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports ~~

USCIS doesn’t send responses for RFEs. You just continue waiting until you get a notice for an interview or if your interview is waived, an approval. 

What does your complete status on the official USCIS webpage state?

If it's changed to "RFE Yada response docs Yada received", it will state on the bottom of the status WHEN you are eligible to contact and how. 

Your RFE letter also likely stated the procedure and timeline. Suggest you check your photocopy of it and your status.

*it's usually 90 days from response received status you call so you likely inquired too soon and by wrong method of contact.

Also note that unless you filed an application online, you should be mailing RFE responses in. Although you are ABLE to submit your response online that doesn't mean you were ELIGIBLE to do that.

Check the above and clarify clearly what your status states and then I can advise further. It's not clear whether your RFE was even received and if that's the case you have a more urgent issue.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
1 hour ago, K1visaHopeful said:

What does your complete status on the official USCIS webpage state?

If it's changed to "RFE Yada response docs Yada received", it will state on the bottom of the status WHEN you are eligible to contact and how. 

Your RFE letter also likely stated the procedure and timeline. Suggest you check your photocopy of it and your status.

*it's usually 90 days from response received status you call so you likely inquired too soon and by wrong method of contact.

Also note that unless you filed an application online, you should be mailing RFE responses in. Although you are ABLE to submit your response online that doesn't mean you were ELIGIBLE to do that.

Check the above and clarify clearly what your status states and then I can advise further. It's not clear whether your RFE was even received and if that's the case you have a more urgent issue.

Hi there, the official status on USCIS is Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received.  This was received on 6/25.

Interestingly, the status for I-131 has changed to "Your case is taking longer than expected to process. You will be notified if you need to take any action." since a couple of days ago. Would it be an indication that they are looking to approve the I-485 so the I-131 is no longer necessary?

From our letter for RFE, we were given the option to submit evidence either by mail or online. It also stated that we can reach out to USCIS if no response after 60 days.

50 minutes ago, xfilez76 said:

Hi there, the official status on USCIS is Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received.  This was received on 6/25.

And the rest of the status below that does not indicate WHEN and HOW to contact after that?

It would be most accurate to follow what it says there. 

Interestingly, the status for I-131 has changed to "Your case is taking longer than expected to process. You will be notified if you need to take any action." since a couple of days ago. Would it be an indication that they are looking to approve the I-485 so the I-131 is no longer necessary?

No relation. Your I131 is on a parallel path not the same path. A status change for it is for it alone. You can easily check whether or not you are coming up to be outside of normal processing times for it on the website which would make sense for the status update. 

From our letter for RFE, we were given the option to submit evidence either by mail or online. It also stated that we can reach out to USCIS if no response after 60 days.

Be careful of the wording as RFEs are generic to ALL applications. It likely stipulates online filers are eligible to reply online without clearly stating as such. An I485 cannot be filled online at this time so to be safe, I485 RFEs should be responded to by mail. 

To be safe, I'd contact Ask Emma Live Chat and confirm both that your RFE documents were received and the same for your enquiry. 

As others have stated, RFEs are not responded to. The next step is interview (likely) or approval without interview (unlikely).

Your timeline is based on LFO which again, can easily be found on the USCIS processing times website. You can even input your Noa1 date to see when currently, you may be coming up to being outside of normal processing times. 

That estimate is as good as it gets.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
15 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Your timeline is based on LFO which again, can easily be found on the USCIS processing times website. You can even input your Noa1 date to see when currently, you may be coming up to being outside of normal processing times. 

That estimate is as good as it gets.

Thank you!

What is LFO?

Can you share the website? The only one I know to show processing time is this one, but it doesn't allow me to put in our NOA1 date

15 minutes ago, xfilez76 said:

Thank you!

What is LFO?

Local Field Office. 

Determined by zipcode. 

Where you will be interviewed or who will approve your application.

15 minutes ago, xfilez76 said:

Can you share the website? The only one I know to show processing time is this one, but it doesn't allow me to put in our NOA1 date

That's it. 

You have to input your info and then submit to get estimate info and then scroll to the bottom to enter Noa1 info to get outside of normal processing times actual date at the moment you searched. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.