ct38956

N-400 September 2023 Filers

469 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

Got an interview slot for January 22, September 23 filer, 3 year rule with a December 22 anniversary. Now hope I get a same day oath because I need to stop dealing with this agency. 

Hi guys, 

First of all, thank you for sharing your experiences throughout the past year, these have been extremely helpful for me. I'd also like to share my story as I believe it can give more insight on what's going on in our journeys. I originally filed my I751 on November 3, 2022 (at least that's the day that USCIS received it) and was quickly moved to the "Fingerprints were taken" stage as they were able to reutilize the ones from my AOS (Approved on December 2020 after an interview). I received my 48 months extension letter, as everyone else and on September 17, I filed for my N400, exactly on the 90-day before mark. 

After over a year of no updates on my I751, on December 7th, 2023 I received an update saying that my case was transferred to another office and on December 8th, I received kind of the same update, just saying that the case was transferred to another office and that office now has jurisdiction over the case. Shortly after this, I received a letter from USCIS notifying that the case had been transferred to NBC to speed up processing. Although, it's worth mentioning that on November 29th, I filed a inquiry through my congress representative and on December 8th I received an email saying that the office of my congress rep had spoken to USCIS and they said that my case was on the way to the NYC Field Office (my office) and to expect more updates soon. 

I use the Case Tracker app on my phone and I've seen that four other cases (although different offices) have been transferred to other offices and the trend is that those cases have been approved after 4-5 days after the transfer. 

This wasn't the case for me and I'm totally fine with that, I just wonder if USCIS is waiting on my 3-year anniversary in order to move forward with both I751 and N400, or if the N400 had anything to do with my I751 finally moving forward. Hopefully I can be approved (i751) before the N400 interview. 

Anyways, thank you so much guys and let's keep up hope, we're almost there. Feel free to let me know what you think about my case. 

You folks are lucky to have same day oath possibility. As I read my FO (San Jose) only does it every other Friday lol. So I would have to wait at least 1 more days and 1 more trip assuming I can get same week oath. I also read that rains can cause cancellations since they do it out in the open or something and Jan is a wet month for sure. 

Edited by boobooboo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

5 year Eligibility
Sacramento

Sep 26,2023 - Filed online
Sep 29,2023 - Biometric Notice
Oct 17,2023 - Biometric Scheduled
Oct 05,2023 - Biometric Completed
Dec 14,2023 - Interview Schedule Notice
Jan 22,2024 - Interview Date.

NOA1: 05/13/2016

I-130 approved: 10/04/2016

NVC Received: 10/27/2016

Case Complete by phone : 12/07/2016

CC by Email : 12/14/2016

Interview : 01/24/2017

Approved: 01/24/2017

43 minutes ago, Lexie_777 said:

I've reviewed several threads here and noticed that almost nobody has received interview scheduling notices in the past couple of weeks. Looks like the entire USCIS department is on vacation...

Few people from September filers group got interview notices in the last two weeks. And their interview scheduled in January.

Nothing to update in December.

Estimated time* until case decision:
approx. 4 months

Edited by Moxman

On 12/13/2023 at 6:33 PM, itscarly said:

I had my interview today and I passed!!

It was a combo interview I-751 and N-400. It went smoothly but it was very long, about an hour to an hour and 15mins.

Husband 2 form of ID

I-751 Part:

Our case was very straightforward but we still got split, my husband (us citizen) went first and I went second. What I noticed is that the office was doing 4 combo interviews at the same time and we were all split up. Tbh it seems like their standard method. My husband and I are both ramblers and like to tell stories so I think that's why it took so long haha, their questions were:

- How did you meet?

- When did you meet?

- What do you two have in common?

- What type of visa did you have when you came to America?

- In what city did you live when you came to America?

- Why did you choose that city?

- Who pays for bills?

- Do you have children?

- Do you have pets? What are their names? How did you get them?

- What do you like more cats or dogs?

- Have you met each other's families?

- What did your family think about your spouse?

- What car do you drive/and your spouse drive?

- How did you get your/spouse's car?

- What's each other's job?

- What's your degree in?

- Does your spouse work in an office or from home?

- Do you rent?

- How many bedrooms and bathrooms does your apt have?

- My spouse was asked: from the time he started dating me until the present if he has ever thought I was using him for immigration benefits.

He told me I passed the I-751 part, he took a new picture for my green card renewal and took my fingerprints. While he was looking for the N-400 we had a small talk about my country, the new president, covid, the difference between accents in Latin America, astrology (LOL), if it's mandatory in my country to learn English, and how and why I learned, we talked about how I found my passion for art in my childhood, irrelevant(I think) but it was entertaining!

Then we started N-400 part

Civic test questions:

- Who's your U.S. representative?

- How many justices are in the Supreme Court?

- What's the capital of your State?

- Who's in charge of the executive branch?

- We elect a president for how many years?

- Name one war fought in the 1800s

Reading:

Who elects Congress?

Writing:

The people elect congress

I passed that and he went through the yes/no questions and we were done! 

He gave me the paper with a confirmation that I passed and he recommended me for naturalization.

He told me it was going to take about 2 weeks to change my I-751 status and afterward they'll move on to the naturalization paperwork, that I might be doing the Oath by February, and congratulations!

It was a very unexpected interview because for the I-485 it took 15 mins and it was so easy. But yeah wanted to share the full experience while it's still fresh. My online status hasn't changed!

I received my Oath Ceremony Notice! This was 5 days after the interview, and it's for January 26! 

On my I-751 case status, I got an update today that my case was approved.

@itscarly Great to hear. What were your status updates on N400 after the interview? These are mine (and still waiting to be scheduled for ceremony), but I have noticed some people also get one more update, something like "you application was placed in line for oath ceremony...". Did you get that update as well? 

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 11.37.22 AM.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.