The Bloomies

Hypothetical question about qualifying for Medicare

5 posts in this topic

May I run a currently hypothetical/potentially real situation by you all? I few recent threads about immigrating parents to the US have gotten me thinking about this. Let me first set up our particular situation and then I’ll ask the questions.

I’m eligible to file for citizenship through marriage next year, which has resulted in some conversations between me and my mum about whether or not she’d like me to sponsor her for a green card one day. She’s open to it because I’m an only child and she would love to be close to me, my husband and her future grandchildren. There’s no rush for her to gain a green card, although I probably will begin the process in January for myself anyway since the U.K. and US allows dual citizenship as many of you know. I think it’s probably the best move for us as a family so that we can potentially move back home (or abroad) without it affecting my status here and so that we can be rid of USCIS for good!

The question I have relates to how we’d be able to make it work from a health insurance point of view. I know that one option is that I could sponsor my mum, she could move here and just pay healthcare premiums. But I also recognise what many of you point out on related threads—healthcare costs here are definitely a consideration and potentially cost-prohibitive, particularly if there’s no chance to ever qualify for Medicare in the future.

My mum is currently a very young 56 year old so work isn’t out of the question. In fact, she would probably enjoy some part-time work. That said, she hasn’t been able to have a full-time job for many years on account of her husband working abroad and her needing to have a flexible enough schedule to visit him when she wants. A schedule that she could have more control over would be better. Here’s where the hypothetical question comes in.

If I sponsored her in the future and she moved here and received her work permit, could she set up, say, a sole prop as a childcare provider so that I could then effectively hire her? I see that the income requirement to earn each quarter is relatively low (currently) so I don’t imagine it would take too long to earn that amount each quarter. And, if she could and worked in this way for 40 quarters, would that then make her eligible for Medicare? My husband and I are just starting our family so we’re looking at many years of childcare and this occurred to me as an option that my mum would enjoy, be able to control and earn her credits if the alternative was too expensive.

This is all hypothetical. In the end, we might find that, even if I do take citizenship, it might be better on the whole for us as a family to live either back home or in a third country.

Thank you in advance for your comments. I’m not currently in need of any VJ guidance for my own visa journey, but I do still visit every day or so because I learn a lot. In another life I think I may have enjoyed being an immigration lawyer!

Edited by The Bloomies

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/credits.html

she can earn a max of 4 credits per year, taking 10 years to earn. 

Sept 2020 - Met

Oct 2022 - Married

Jan 2023 - Filed AOS packet

Feb 2023 - Biometrics

July 2023 - Greened

*** Moved from Bringing Family of LPR forum to Moving to the US forum -- though OP hasn't started the visa process for family yet, main topic is about LPR qualifying for Medicare, which is discussed in this sub-forum ***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 hours ago, The Bloomies said:

May I run a currently hypothetical/potentially real situation by you all? I few recent threads about immigrating parents to the US have gotten me thinking about this. Let me first set up our particular situation and then I’ll ask the questions.

I’m eligible to file for citizenship through marriage next year, which has resulted in some conversations between me and my mum about whether or not she’d like me to sponsor her for a green card one day. She’s open to it because I’m an only child and she would love to be close to me, my husband and her future grandchildren. There’s no rush for her to gain a green card, although I probably will begin the process in January for myself anyway since the U.K. and US allows dual citizenship as many of you know. I think it’s probably the best move for us as a family so that we can potentially move back home (or abroad) without it affecting my status here and so that we can be rid of USCIS for good!

The question I have relates to how we’d be able to make it work from a health insurance point of view. I know that one option is that I could sponsor my mum, she could move here and just pay healthcare premiums. But I also recognise what many of you point out on related threads—healthcare costs here are definitely a consideration and potentially cost-prohibitive, particularly if there’s no chance to ever qualify for Medicare in the future.

My mum is currently a very young 56 year old so work isn’t out of the question. In fact, she would probably enjoy some part-time work. That said, she hasn’t been able to have a full-time job for many years on account of her husband working abroad and her needing to have a flexible enough schedule to visit him when she wants. A schedule that she could have more control over would be better. Here’s where the hypothetical question comes in.

If I sponsored her in the future and she moved here and received her work permit, could she set up, say, a sole prop as a childcare provider so that I could then effectively hire her? I see that the income requirement to earn each quarter is relatively low (currently) so I don’t imagine it would take too long to earn that amount each quarter. And, if she could and worked in this way for 40 quarters, would that then make her eligible for Medicare? My husband and I are just starting our family so we’re looking at many years of childcare and this occurred to me as an option that my mum would enjoy, be able to control and earn her credits if the alternative was too expensive.

This is all hypothetical. In the end, we might find that, even if I do take citizenship, it might be better on the whole for us as a family to live either back home or in a third country.

Thank you in advance for your comments. I’m not currently in need of any VJ guidance for my own visa journey, but I do still visit every day or so because I learn a lot. In another life I think I may have enjoyed being an immigration lawyer!

If she gains 40 quarter credits and becomes a USC, she will be able to receive SS income and Medicare benefits once both  conditions are met and she meets the age requirements for both. This will take at least 10 years after she becomes a USC. So in the long run, yes, this is a good plan. But remember, she has that 10yr plus gap where she will have to either get employment based health insurance or buy it from ACA.  The cost may be significant or , depending on location, she may get good premium relief. It all depends on her income and the state rules. Remember also that at tax time, the premium relief is reviewed against what she actually earned .. compared to estimated or previous income.. and this can result in a tax bill for some/all of the premium relief. It can be quite a surprise 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.