Eberechi

Please how does DCF work in Nigeria? How long does it take?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Can I apply via DCF in Nigeria, if I already applied online via USCIS. 

Spousal visa to be precise. Thank you 

Edited by Eberechi

If you've already submitted an application through USCIS, using the DCF route might not be an option. While I'm not fully familiar with the Nigeria process, a quick online search indicates that some people have successfully taken this route.

I recommend considering a Google search or exploring forums like VisaJourney/Reddit for further insights. DCF can certainly provide a quicker pathway – many people do it under exceptional circumstances like a job offer from a US employer. Some US embassies might assist you even without an exceptional circumstance though (usually for uncomplicated cases without dependents, previous marriages, criminal records, etc.).

A possibility would be to email the embassy to explain your situation and inquire if they would accept your case (after confirming that you meet all DCF requirements; such as the minimum 6 month residency abroad requirement). If they do, you can consider withdrawing your USCIS application and pursue the DCF process (this might be a risky thing to do so you have to take many things into consideration here). Do your research.

I'm not a lawyer, but these are just my personal thoughts; while I don't know the specifics of your situation, I do know the struggles of this process. Hope this helps.

Timeline
1 hour ago, PumpkinSpiceLatte said:

If you've already submitted an application through USCIS, using the DCF route might not be an option. While I'm not fully familiar with the Nigeria process, a quick online search indicates that some people have successfully taken this route.

I recommend considering a Google search or exploring forums like VisaJourney/Reddit for further insights. DCF can certainly provide a quicker pathway – many people do it under exceptional circumstances like a job offer from a US employer. Some US embassies might assist you even without an exceptional circumstance though (usually for uncomplicated cases without dependents, previous marriages, criminal records, etc.).

A possibility would be to email the embassy to explain your situation and inquire if they would accept your case (after confirming that you meet all DCF requirements; such as the minimum 6 month residency abroad requirement). If they do, you can consider withdrawing your USCIS application and pursue the DCF process (this might be a risky thing to do so you have to take many things into consideration here). Do your research.

I'm not a lawyer, but these are just my personal thoughts; while I don't know the specifics of your situation, I do know the struggles of this process. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. Please is it possible to withdraw my USCIS application?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Consulates are not authorized to accept cases if an I-130 has already been submitted stateside.  The option is to request an expedite via USCIS:

Chapter 3 - Filing | USCIS

image.thumb.png.2e5ecbc2b54e5c5112b711f06767c64a.png

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Eberechi said:

Thank you so much for your detailed response. Please is it possible to withdraw my USCIS application?

Not if a previous I-130 has been filed for the same beneficiary.

Chapter 3 - Filing | USCIS

"In addition, USCIS does not authorize DOS to accept a local filing abroad if the petitioner has already filed a Form I-130 domestically for the same beneficiary."

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

You are dispensing incorrect information.   The OP has a petition filed with USCIS and is NOT eligible for DCF, even under exceptional circumstances.

Edited by SalishSea

26 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

You are dispensing incorrect information.   The OP has a petition filed with USCIS and is NOT eligible for DCF, even under exceptional circumstances.

Others have managed as per this post: 
I would strongly recommend contacting the consulate and inquiring, they might be able to help @Eberechi

Others have managed as per this post: 
I would strongly recommend contacting the consulate and inquiring, they might be able to help @Eberechi

We do not know the exact situation for @Eberechi

1. This was a situation involving someone from the military/with orders- not an exceptional circumstance. Different rules for DCF

2. Frankfurt is known for processing quite a lot of DCF cases. 

3.Frankfurt will also DCF if the beneficiary is in another country and the petitioner is in Frankfurt. Especially when petitioner is involved with the military or US government. (not part of this case IIRC but I've seen it in another case). 

4.The petitioner in this case wrote their senator 3 times. 

@Eberechi does the US citizen currently live in Nigeria? What is their exceptional circumstance?

Timeline
5 hours ago, Redro said:

We do not know the exact situation for @Eberechi

1. This was a situation involving someone from the military/with orders- not an exceptional circumstance. Different rules for DCF

2. Frankfurt is known for processing quite a lot of DCF cases. 

3.Frankfurt will also DCF if the beneficiary is in another country and the petitioner is in Frankfurt. Especially when petitioner is involved with the military or US government. (not part of this case IIRC but I've seen it in another case). 

4.The petitioner in this case wrote their senator 3 times. 

@Eberechi does the US citizen currently live in Nigeria? What is their exceptional circumstance?

My hubby is currently in the US

Timeline

"My hubby is currently in the US"

Then, there is no basis for a DCF application.

image.thumb.png.6577d0d2e21a837d11dd8036d4e7f697.png

Edited by Crazy Cat

44 minutes ago, Eberechi said:

My hubby is currently in the US

DCF is only applicable when the USC petitioner resides with the beneficiary abroad.  Several years ago, the international USCIS offices were all closed, so now DCF is only available with "exceptional circumstances," i.e. an immediate job transfer or offer for the USC in the US.  Your situation is not this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.