MariaWithQuestion

Please help me understand one question about F1 status

9 posts in this topic

Hi people of visajourney, i am uneducated about visa stuff and i would like some help with one question i have.

I had f1 visa 3 years ago. I went to usa for language school which was supposed to be 12 months.

After 4 months of studying, I returned back to my country because of family issues. 

I could not go back to my school and usa to complete my visa and school program. i stayed in my country.

I informed my school officials about not returning and they were happy to terminate my I20.

Nobody told me there is a problem but I never returned back to usa for school.

I never overstayed, i just didn't complete my school and returned early.

Is this a visa violation? will this affect my future visa applications?

I don't think I needed to contact us embassy or any other office about not returning to usa, but i am not sure if i made a mistake.

I wonder if not returning school and not staying in the usa until the end date of I20 is illegal or anything.

can someone please tell me your opinion? thank you.

Edited by MariaWithQuestion

~~ Duplicate thread removed. Do not start multiple threads asking same or related questions as that’s spamming ~~

1 minute ago, MariaWithQuestion said:

Hi people of visajourney, i am uneducated about visa stuff and i would like some help with one question i have.

I am married to US citizen and we want to move to US together through green card process in our home country.

I am researching if I am eligible for this because I previously didn't complete my student(f1) visa.

I had f1 visa 3 years ago. I went to usa for language school which was supposed to be 12 months. school sent me I20document for 12months.

After 4 months of studying, I returned back to my country because of family issues. 

I could not go back to my school and usa to complete my visa and school program. i stayed in my country.

I informed my school officials about not returning and they were happy to terminate my I20.

I never overstayed, broke any laws. i just didn't complete my school and returned early. so my I20 was terminated after I told school, i cannot go back to usa.

Is this a visa violation? will this affect my green card application?

I wasn't told I needed to contact US embassy or any other office about not returning to usa, but i am not sure if i made a mistake. if I did, not sure how to fix it.

I wonder if not returning school and not staying in the usa until the end date of I20 is illegal or anything.

I people sorry i posted it under another thread but my question is also related to my green card process.

i may be overthinking but here is my updated question: i can't edit my original post.

I am married to US citizen and we want to move to US together through green card process in our home country.

I am researching if I am eligible for this because I previously didn't complete my student(f1) visa.

I had f1 visa 3 years ago. I went to usa for language school which was supposed to be 12 months. school sent me I20document for 12months.

I never overstayed, broke any laws. i just didn't complete my school and returned early. so my I20 was terminated after I told school, i cannot go back to usa.

Is this a visa violation? will this affect my green card application?

I wasn't told I needed to contact US embassy or any other office about not returning to usa, but i am not sure if i made a mistake. if I did, not sure how to fix it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

53 minutes ago, Boiler said:

No

thanks for clear and short answer but can you please explain if you said no as "there is nothing i should worry" ?

everything should be fine because i returned back to my country and its ok not to continue school, am i understanding it right?

if you can explain what you meant, i will appreciate. thanks

51 minutes ago, MariaWithQuestion said:

thanks for clear and short answer but can you please explain if you said no as "there is nothing i should worry" ?

everything should be fine because i returned back to my country and its ok not to continue school, am i understanding it right?

if you can explain what you meant, i will appreciate. thanks

Correct.  Nothing to worry, as no overstay, etc.

11 hours ago, MariaWithQuestion said:

I had f1 visa 3 years ago. I went to usa for language school which was supposed to be 12 months.

I never overstayed, i just didn't complete my school and returned early.

Is this a visa violation? will this affect my future visa applications?

I don't think I needed to contact us embassy or any other office about not returning to usa, but i am not sure if i made a mistake.

No, that's not a visa violation. You did everything right, left the country and dropped out. You never fell out of status or anything.

As an aside that's not relevant to your case, even if you were to overstay, drop out, or otherwise violate your F-1 by for example working, it still wouldn't be a factor. F-1s are weird when it comes to calculating unlawful presence for re-entry bars and for the most part it that doesn't kick in until you get ordered removed or apply for something with USCIS and get denied. We've had a few people here who overstayed by years and left to do consular processing for an immigrant visa, or overstayed, did I-485, were denied, left within 180 days of the denial, and could do consular just fine.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Dropping out of school and leaving is not an issue at all. You didn't overstay or nothing. You will be able to apply for any visa don't worry. Hey, life happens. Not everybody is fortunate enough to go through this process without issues. You're fine. You put your education on hold to tend to your family when they needed you. On the bright side, it will be easier for you to get a US visa since you have been here legally, left in a legal way, and didn't misuse your visa. 

Edited by Gabesdad48

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.