T Town Hombre

Interview for family visit

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife has been here a little more than a year now and her daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter are getting ready for their interview at the American Consulate in Guangzhou.  They are asking me for preparation questions so that they can practice before the interview.  I've looked almost everywhere and haven't found any.  Anybody have a clue where to look or what they might ask?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

2 or 3 very basic questions is the norm.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

They will look for strong ties to China, to make sure they return home after a visit.  

How long are they seeking to visit for?

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Redro said:

Who are you visiting? 
why?

how long have you known them? 
what are your plans? 

They are coming to visit their mother, my wife.  They will also visit their other family members living in the US.  I've know them 11 years and my plans are to live my life.  Now their plans are to visit family and see America then go back home.

Timeline

Redro. 

They are coming to visit their mother, my wife.  They will also visit their other family members living in the US.  I've know them 11 years and my plans are to live my life.  Now their plans are to visit family and see America then go back home.

Salish Sea.   They have good ties to go back.  Their stay?  Don't know but it won't go beyond the visa.

Timeline

How long do you wish to visit?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, T Town Hombre said:

I'm still interested in the kinds of questions they might ask during the interview.  They just want to be prepared.

I think you misunderstood Redro's response.  She was listing out the types of questions they would get asked......

Just now, T Town Hombre said:

Redro. 

Salish Sea.   They have good ties to go back.  Their stay?  Don't know but it won't go beyond the visa.

This is a relevant question.  If they are seeking to stay for 6 months, that will raise questions about how they can afford to be away from work for that duration of time, and whether they will try to work illegally here.

15 minutes ago, T Town Hombre said:

Those are the questions they’ll probably ask your wife’s daughter and son-in-law 

1 hour ago, Redro said:

Who are you visiting? 
why?

how long have you known them? 
what are your plans? 

Edited by Redro

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
4 hours ago, T Town Hombre said:

They'd better know or have a rough idea (2 weeks, a month, 2 months), because a trip like that is not improvised but carefully prepared with an idea of the agenda (no need to know day by day, but a general estimate). Furthermore, the grand-daughter must go to school (unless school holidays period) and the adults have a job and cannot afford to come visit for an unknown duration.

Depending on the duration, they will need to prove they have have the financial means to sustain themselves for the duration of their stay.

You need to make sure that all their answers are consistent and not contradictory, and they flow smoothly. In most cases, the decision is already taken based on the information submitted in the DS-160 application, and the appointment is to say yes or no (consular officers have tons of applications and try to spend no more than 15min on each interview). They will ask questions only if some info was not clear on the application and need clarification before taking a decision. Clarity of the answers, body language are key.

Documents can be brought, but consular officers are not obligated to examine them (and are advised during their training not to review documents – they can be fake and even if authentic, there is no way to enforce them).

Remember that under U.S. Immigration Laws, every visa applicant is deemed to have immigrant intent unless he/she can convince the consular officer otherwise. So, the answer by default is to reject the visa application. Therefore, showing strong ties is critical.

Of course, if they are truly here for visit, there shouldn't be any issue.

Good luck!

Timeline

I did misunderstand Redro.  I have asked questions in the past and there are people who ask you questions that really have nothing to do with the question you are asking.  I'm sure it is pertinent info but not what I asked.  In my mind, right or wrong, fell into that category for me.

Everyone has been helpful in spite of me misunderstanding.  My apology and thanks for the info.

Timeline

Often we only get some of the story so you need to either guess, assume that what may be normal in other peoples case applies here or ask.

43 minutes ago, T Town Hombre said:

I did misunderstand Redro.  I have asked questions in the past and there are people who ask you questions that really have nothing to do with the question you are asking.  I'm sure it is pertinent info but not what I asked.  In my mind, right or wrong, fell into that category for me.

Everyone has been helpful in spite of me misunderstanding.  My apology and thanks for the info.

No worries. I usually quote a post so people understand what I’m referring to… and I totally understand why you misunderstood my response…. I’ll be more specific and not use the very vague YOU… 

Other questions they may ask: 

How long has the person you are visiting lived in America? 
When did they move to America? 
Are they American born or did they naturalize or are they LPRs?

Edited by Redro

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.