martha783

Divorce while AOS pending (VAWA?)

37 posts in this topic

Right, it would be abduction if she leaves once the child is born. International child abduction does not apply to unborn children. I know the child would have a legal right to U.S. citizenship are any point in her life, but I'm thinking she couldn't pursue that without also acknowledging his parental rights if she were to return, and it would depend on a family court judge to have mercy on her for fleeing while pregnant.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She could divorce in her home country?

Never heard of fleeing whilst pregnant. I seriously doubt that is a thing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I didn't mean "fleeing while pregnant" was a legal violation. I just meant a family court judge could look poorly upon her or accuse her of "parental alienation" and award him more rights or could see she was leaving for safety and award her custody. The family law/domestic violence cases side is the one I'm familiar with - the immigrations side and VAWA not so much.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

He's already using the child to manipulate her. Get her on the plane now, let her see a therapist back home and have her family support for her and her baby. The child will most likely be a USC born abroad and there is a way for her to complete that too. She needs to be safe and going home will be safe, file for VAWA once she is safe. 

Oh it's a thing all right

Live and learn, can he block her leaving?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, martha783 said:

I didn't mean "fleeing while pregnant" was a legal violation. I just meant a family court judge could look poorly upon her or accuse her of "parental alienation" and award him more rights or could see she was leaving for safety and award her custody. The family law/domestic violence cases side is the one I'm familiar with - the immigrations side and VAWA not so much.

I know it can get horribly complicated and expense where there are multiple jurisdictions involved. We do not know her nationality but there could be benefits in her filing in her country.

You made it sound like he would not want to get that far involved if she left

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Live and learn, can he block her leaving?

I'm sure with the right lawyer and judge anything can happen. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I know it can get horribly complicated and expense where there are multiple jurisdictions involved. We do not know her nationality but there could be benefits in her filing in her country.

You made it sound like he would not want to get that far involved if she left

Yes, I think if she left he would leave her alone. If she came back under VAWA, and claimed her child’s USC for her father being a USC, he would inevitably be involved I am deducing. He could potentially exact his vengeance then with custody fight. But I think that’s less likely that if she stays. He has other children from previous marriages he has completely ignored for years. 

Timeline

I thought the standard was supposed to be the same. I will check later.

4 hours ago, Boiler said:

The I 130 is about substantiating the marital relationship, so if not a dead issue now will soon be.

I know you can do VAWA through a Consulate, does not seem common, I assume it is just like any other Consulate processing. Shw would still need to work on her case.

4 hours ago, Boiler said:

The I 130 is about substantiating the marital relationship, so if not a dead issue now will soon be.

I know you can do VAWA through a Consulate, does not seem common, I assume it is just like any other Consulate processing. Shw would still need to work on her case.

If she has no legal status in USA and not married to the person how will she do aos via vawa when her current 485 and 130 gets denied due to lack of relationship ? 

duh

Timeline
1 minute ago, igoyougoduke said:

If she has no legal status in USA and not married to the person how will she do aos via vawa when her current 485 and 130 gets denied due to lack of relationship ? 

They are married, VAWA seem to forgive a lot of issues. Back on my laptop so will have a look.

Timeline

Eligibility Requirements for a VAWA Self-Petition
You are eligible for a VAWA self-petition if you demonstrate the following eligibility requirements:

You have a qualifying relationship as the:
Spouse, intended spouse, or former spouse of an abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident if:
You are married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident abuser;
Your marriage to the abuser was legally terminated by death (U.S. citizen spouses only) or a divorce (for reasons related to the abuse) within the 2 years prior to filing your petition;
Your spouse lost or renounced citizenship or permanent resident status within the 2 years prior to filing your petition due to an incident of domestic violence; or
You believed that you were legally married to your abusive U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse but the marriage was not legitimate solely because of the bigamy of your abusive spouse.
Child of an abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident parent; or
Parent of an abusive U.S. citizen son or daughter who is 21 years old or older.
You were subjected to battery or extreme cruelty by your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative during the qualifying relationship. (If you are applying as a spouse, you may also be eligible if your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse subjected your child to battery or extreme cruelty);
You are residing or have resided with your abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative; and
You are a person of good moral character.
If you are self-petitioning as the spouse of an abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, then you must also demonstrate that you entered into the marriage in good faith and not for the purpose of evading immigration laws.

In certain circumstances you may remain eligible for the VAWA self-petition if your abusive relative lost or renounced their U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status or if your abusive relative died.

If you are living outside of the United States at the time you file the self-petition, you must demonstrate one of the following in addition to the eligibility requirements listed above:

Your abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative is an employee of the U.S. government;
Your abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent relative is a member of the U.S. armed forces; or
You were subjected to battery or extreme cruelty in the United States.

I took the battery or extreme cruelty as being the normal requirement and that the sentence was just making ot clear this had to have happened in the US, well apart from the 2 other exceptions.

44 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Eligibility Requirements for a VAWA Self-Petition
You are eligible for a VAWA self-petition if you demonstrate the following eligibility requirements:

You have a qualifying relationship as the:
Spouse, intended spouse, or former spouse of an abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident if:
You are married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident abuser;
Your marriage to the abuser was legally terminated by death (U.S. citizen spouses only) or a divorce (for reasons related to the abuse) within the 2 years prior to filing your petition;
Your spouse lost or renounced citizenship or permanent resident status within the 2 years prior to filing your petition due to an incident of domestic violence; or
You believed that you were legally married to your abusive U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse but the marriage was not legitimate solely because of the bigamy of your abusive spouse.
Child of an abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident parent; or
Parent of an abusive U.S. citizen son or daughter who is 21 years old or older.
You were subjected to battery or extreme cruelty by your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative during the qualifying relationship. (If you are applying as a spouse, you may also be eligible if your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse subjected your child to battery or extreme cruelty);
You are residing or have resided with your abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative; and
You are a person of good moral character.
If you are self-petitioning as the spouse of an abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, then you must also demonstrate that you entered into the marriage in good faith and not for the purpose of evading immigration laws.

In certain circumstances you may remain eligible for the VAWA self-petition if your abusive relative lost or renounced their U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status or if your abusive relative died.

If you are living outside of the United States at the time you file the self-petition, you must demonstrate one of the following in addition to the eligibility requirements listed above:

Your abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative is an employee of the U.S. government;
Your abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent relative is a member of the U.S. armed forces; or
You were subjected to battery or extreme cruelty in the United States.

I took the battery or extreme cruelty as being the normal requirement and that the sentence was just making ot clear this had to have happened in the US, well apart from the 2 other exceptions.

I wonder how many vawa cases are genuine vs fake . Now a days it seems like a text is considered abuse 

duh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.