Lu & Ni

I-864 for both parents

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hi,

I have four questions. Please, please bear with me 🙏

Context: My sister in law is bringing both her parents to the USA. They have been approved already so she now has to file an affidavit. Therefore, my husband has offered his income/assets if she were to need it (most likely) but we currently live in the same house/address as her.

My following questions are:

1. Does she need to file two different I-864 (one for each parent?)

2. If not, then that means she should only file once and just add either parent as an extra member she'll be sponsoring?

3. In part 5 of I-864, it says "optional" to add a sibling who will submit I-864A but im guessing she should add my hubby in it?

4. Does my husband need to file two separate I-864A or just one and add both parents in it?

Thank you in advance! 

Timeline

ohhh okay.

For I-864A, should I also file one? We filed jointly taxes for 2022, but all of the income was mine. I don't mind signing the contract as he started working this January anyways. What do you suggest? Just two I-864A from him?

5 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Each individual needs a separate I-864. Same for I-864A. 

ohhh okay.

For I-864A, should I also file one? We filed jointly taxes for 2022, but all of the income was mine. I don't mind signing the contract as he started working this January anyways. What do you suggest? Just two I-864A from him?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

If he didn't work last year, you don't need I-864A..

You can add your W-2 to correlate that fact.

Additionally, I-864 asks for joint return income AGI and individual income. Pay attention to make sure you don't mess one or the other.

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Timona said:

If he didn't work last year, you don't need I-864A..

You can add your W-2 to correlate that fact.

Additionally, I-864 asks for joint return income AGI and individual income. Pay attention to make sure you don't mess one or the other.

I was thinking maybe so he can show that he could use his assets (checking & savings) in case she needs it?

Timeline

Why make it more complicated yet you have an easy way out?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Timona said:

Why make it more complicated yet you have an easy way out?

I'm sorry I'm just not really understanding 🥺

Somebody told me that my sister in law should file I-864 and my husband just the I-864A as we live under the same house. It was better this way as if I become a joint sponsor then we would have to count him, myself and my daughter in the household thererefore we have to make a higher income. I believe they said that because she's trying to sponsor both parents. I'm not sure tbh that's why I'm so confused 😕

Timeline

Was your husband working last year?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Timona said:

Was your husband working last year?

He started working December 2022, so he just got one paycheck that year 😂 we still filed married-jointly with that paycheck plus my income

That's why I'm not sure if I should make him file I-864a (as his sister household member) and me file one as well as is my income. He still is working in that same position. 

Edited by Lu & Ni
Missed info

Timeline

That's why, as I said, he doesn't need to sign I-864A. His zero income doesn't warrant I-864A

Timeline

Here @Villanelle covered this a while back.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Timona said:

Here @Villanelle covered this a while back.

Can I submit a I-864a? If I submit a I-864 then my income is not enough to sponsor both parents, as my 2022 taxes were just above the poverty line guide to sponsor 4 people. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.