LaJumpa

London Medical Experience

15 posts in this topic

This is for the nervous folk like me!

I recently had my medical examination in London at Visa Medicals. And it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. 

For context, gathering the necessary paperwork for this from my GP was a real pain. As I’m sure most of you have experienced. Despite having no ongoing or previous conditions, any history of mental illness, drug/alcohol issues or criminal past. My brain defaulted to the potential that I would be subject to extra scrutiny due to lack of medical history. 

If this sounds like it could be you then let me tell you, that’s not the case. 

I arrived in the afternoon. The lady behind the counter took all my medical summary, passport and police certificate to photocopy. She then gave me a more detailed questionnaire to fill out whilst I waited.

First up was my vaccinations, I had everything up to date aside from my hep b jab. A tip for those who haven’t their hep b jab, you only need one to pass the medical. This one jab costs £50. If you were to do the full course at say your GP or pharmacy, you’re looking at around £120-£150. Do with this information as you may!

I was then called in for my chest x-ray. All I had to do was remove my t shirt, stand up against the screen and then I was good to go. 

Lastly I was called in to discuss my medical questionnaire with the practitioner. The lady I spoke with was really pleasant. She asked me about any previous medical issues and a few lifestyle questions. I then had a quick vision test before removing my top again to sit on the bed to be given the full MOT which included blood pressure, lymph node checks, heart beat checks and then a glance for any scaring. To which I had scares from an operation I had as a child which I’d disclosed. 

She then took my blood whilst I laid on the bed. 

After that she explained that my results will be sent to the embassy after 5 working days once they do all their checks. She explained that no news is good news. If anything needed to be followed up I’d be contacted in the next couple of days. But she said that glancing at my x-ray results that everything looked to be all good. 

I then went back to the front desk to collect my passport and settle the tab. My total came to £430 (£380 for the medical + £50 for the hep b vaccination)

To anyone who was nervous about their upcoming medical, I can assure you that if you’re a cut and dry case like me then you have absolutely nothing to worry about! I hope this puts your minds at ease!

Feel free to shoot me any questions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
21 minutes ago, LaJumpa said:

This is for the nervous folk like me!

I recently had my medical examination in London at Visa Medicals. And it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. 

For context, gathering the necessary paperwork for this from my GP was a real pain. As I’m sure most of you have experienced. Despite having no ongoing or previous conditions, any history of mental illness, drug/alcohol issues or criminal past. My brain defaulted to the potential that I would be subject to extra scrutiny due to lack of medical history. 

If this sounds like it could be you then let me tell you, that’s not the case. 

I arrived in the afternoon. The lady behind the counter took all my medical summary, passport and police certificate to photocopy. She then gave me a more detailed questionnaire to fill out whilst I waited.

First up was my vaccinations, I had everything up to date aside from my hep b jab. A tip for those who haven’t their hep b jab, you only need one to pass the medical. This one jab costs £50. If you were to do the full course at say your GP or pharmacy, you’re looking at around £120-£150. Do with this information as you may!

I was then called in for my chest x-ray. All I had to do was remove my t shirt, stand up against the screen and then I was good to go. 

Lastly I was called in to discuss my medical questionnaire with the practitioner. The lady I spoke with was really pleasant. She asked me about any previous medical issues and a few lifestyle questions. I then had a quick vision test before removing my top again to sit on the bed to be given the full MOT which included blood pressure, lymph node checks, heart beat checks and then a glance for any scaring. To which I had scares from an operation I had as a child which I’d disclosed. 

She then took my blood whilst I laid on the bed. 

After that she explained that my results will be sent to the embassy after 5 working days once they do all their checks. She explained that no news is good news. If anything needed to be followed up I’d be contacted in the next couple of days. But she said that glancing at my x-ray results that everything looked to be all good. 

I then went back to the front desk to collect my passport and settle the tab. My total came to £430 (£380 for the medical + £50 for the hep b vaccination)

To anyone who was nervous about their upcoming medical, I can assure you that if you’re a cut and dry case like me then you have absolutely nothing to worry about! I hope this puts your minds at ease!

Feel free to shoot me any questions!

Thank you for providing such a comprehensive account of your experience. I wish you and your spouse all the best for the future. Other than immunisation records, what else does one need to get from their GP? 

also was it quite easy to book an appointment in terms of availability at visa medicals?

4 minutes ago, Expat_Elle said:

Thank you for providing such a comprehensive account of your experience. I wish you and your spouse all the best for the future. Other than immunisation records, what else does one need to get from their GP? 

also was it quite easy to book an appointment in terms of availability at visa medicals?

Thank you so much! I’m glad we’re almost at the end of this journey!

So I got everything I needed from the receptionist at my GP. They gave me a “quick glance” summary which included my measurements and 3 past consultations with my GP. I pressed them for more information as I didn’t think that would cut it. After a few back and forth visits I managed to get a 3 page summary which had way more detail like allergies and my only hospital visit. 

it’s worth noting that Visa Medicals do not require a full medical history. 

You can request this from your GP but (on a good day) can take up to 2 weeks to receive from them. If you have any history that you feel maybe relevant for your medical you can get this and pick out the information you need! 

As for the appointment, I booked about a month in advanced and they had plenty of availability. As long as you book it no more than 10 days before your interview you’ll be all good!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I got all my jabs done at the GP for free. Mind you back then you did your Medical and then went to the interview with the results, makes you wonder what takes 5 days?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
57 minutes ago, LaJumpa said:

First up was my vaccinations, I had everything up to date aside from my hep b jab. A tip for those who haven’t their hep b jab, you only need one to pass the medical. This one jab costs £50. If you were to do the full course at say your GP or pharmacy, you’re looking at around £120-£150.

NHS does not cover hep B vax? OMG!

Timeline

Unless something has changed they provided everything.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

24 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Not for free! Unless you’re at high risk I believe. So my GP told me. 

33 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I got all my jabs done at the GP for free. Mind you back then you did your Medical and then went to the interview with the results, makes you wonder what takes 5 days?

Probably due to volume of applicants they deal with. I think Visa Medicals cover Canada and a few other countries too. 

Timeline

If you think you're at risk and need the hepatitis B vaccine, ask your GP to vaccinate you, or visit any sexual health or genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic.

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Yes, it does - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/hepatitis-b-vaccine/#:~:text=These doses are given at,and 1 year of age.

It depends on the age of the person though, my children both have Hep B but not Hep A, my husband and I have Hep A but not Hep B as when we were babies it wasn’t given. So we’ll all need at least one jab at our medical next week! 

Edited by appleblossom

16 hours ago, LaJumpa said:

Not for free! Unless you’re at high risk I believe. So my GP told me. 

Only if you are support worker or working in the hospital or in a blood infusions etc environment 🤷🏻‍♂️

16 hours ago, Boiler said:

If you think you're at risk and need the hepatitis B vaccine, ask your GP to vaccinate you, or visit any sexual health or genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic.

Its 63 pounds for 1st dose and 93 pounds for phone consultation at the SHiP (GUM) clinic here in Plymouth 

Timeline
36 minutes ago, NasUK said:

Its 63 pounds for 1st dose and 93 pounds for phone consultation at the SHiP (GUM) clinic here in Plymouth 

Must admit I do not know what a GUM clinic is, local Surgery would be best bet.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, NasUK said:

Its the Sexual Health Clinics for vaccines Hep A and Hep B 

Perhaps they were called something different previously, can be difficult to keep up.

I quoted from the NHS web site btw.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.