aaronanddawn

Anyone previously divorced and applying for visa?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hoping for some advise. We are both previously divorced and got married last year. Looked at the check list from packet 3 and it seems that they possibly want my marriage certificate from my first marriage. I don't have it, solicitor took it when I got divorced. Called the State department and she said she didn't think I would need it, just the divorce decree.......not convinced. Thought maybe someone here would have gone through this and be able to give me first hand knowledge.

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to get hold of another copy, but don't want to if I don't have to. Not sure if my Husband would need his from his first marriage either......he also does not have it.

I will be so glad when this is over......but we are so close!!!

If anyone can help, I would be really grateful.

I-130

01/22/2007 Sent I-130

06/04/2007 Approval email notice sent!! YES!!

I-129f

01/31/2007 Sent I-129f

02/05/2007 1st NOA

06/04/2007 Approved....email received 06/05/2007........we are sooooo happy!!

NVC

06/06/2007 Received

07/11/2007 Left NVC

LONDON

07/25/2007 Packet 3 received and sent back

07/31/2007 Packet 4 received

08/09/2007 Interview date - APPROVED!!

08/11/2007 Visa in hand!!

08/24/2007 Flying to US

AOS & EAD

02/19/2009 Sent Package to Chicago

02/20/2009 Package received

02/26/2009 NOA's sent from USCIS

03/02/2009 NOA's in hand!

03/06/2009 Received Biometrics Appointment

03/24/2009 Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k3guide

5. If either you or your spouse were previously married, submit copies of documents showing that all prior marriages were legally terminated.

Please note that in addition to the copy of divorce documents, some people have received an RFE for copies of previous marriage certificates. So if you can obtain it, it would be good to include, particularly if you changed your name in your previous marriage. It shows the progression of your name changing. You can get a copy of the cert by contacting the city hall or courthouse of the county in which you were married.

Since you already have an approval, you may not need it, but I'd still try to get a copy to bring to the interview, just in case.

Good luck!

Edited by julezabelle

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hoping for some advise. We are both previously divorced and got married last year. Looked at the check list from packet 3 and it seems that they possibly want my marriage certificate from my first marriage. I don't have it, solicitor took it when I got divorced. Called the State department and she said she didn't think I would need it, just the divorce decree.......not convinced. Thought maybe someone here would have gone through this and be able to give me first hand knowledge.

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to get hold of another copy, but don't want to if I don't have to. Not sure if my Husband would need his from his first marriage either......he also does not have it.

One reason marriage certificates may be needed is in order to provide the document trail of any legal name changes

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm divorced...and Pete, my fiance from the UK has never been married. All they needed was a copy of the divorce decree. The marriage certificate itself is invalid in regards to you and your ex spouse. They just want to see that you are legal to marry again. A certified copy of the divorce decree is what they will need, so a trip to your local courthouse to get that just so it has the "official watermark/stamp" on it would be suffice. Good luck! :)

I-129F

13 April 2007--Mailed I-129F (Processed at California Service Center)

18 April 2007--Received NOA1

13 Aug. 2007--Received NOA2

09 Oct. 2007--Medical in London

08 Nov. 2007--Visa Interview & Approved

14 Nov. 2007--Pete receives K1 visa in the mail

21 Nov. 2007-- Pete arrives in the United States (together at last!!)

27 Dec. 2007--Our 3 year anniversary of being engaged

16 Feb. 2008--We were married!!

AOS

........ho hum....

Timeline

One reason you might want to also submit a previous marriage certificate is because of the paragraph 8 on Page 3 of the I-130 "What if your name has changed?": If either you or the person you are filing for is using a name other than shown on the relevant documents, you must file your petition with copies of the legal documents that effected the name change such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.

As already stated, the previous marriage certificate would be a document validating a name change and would show the progression from name at birth to present. If there's any way to support all documents that you are submitting it's always a good idea to cover as many bases as possible.

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

All i needed was my divorce papers and 1 photocopy, i was given the original back at my visa interview and they kept the photocopy. I wasnt asked for previous marriage certificate, just my current one plus 1 photocopy which they kept. You get all your originals back during your interview.

Maria

Separated!!

Timeline
One reason you might want to also submit a previous marriage certificate is because of the paragraph 8 on Page 3 of the I-130 "What if your name has changed?": If either you or the person you are filing for is using a name other than shown on the relevant documents, you must file your petition with copies of the legal documents that effected the name change such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.

As already stated, the previous marriage certificate would be a document validating a name change and would show the progression from name at birth to present. If there's any way to support all documents that you are submitting it's always a good idea to cover as many bases as possible.

Her current marriage certificate validates a name change from her birth certificate as she has filed under a K-3 :thumbs:

Separated!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

They specifically ask for previous marriages certificates...so i would give it to them. I wouldnt want to get RFEd for something silly like that. They are not difficult to get, so why risk it. The whole process takes long enough when you do everything correctly...why add time to it. But what do i know! Hope this helps and good luck.

A

I-130:

05/26/07: Mailed USPS; 05/31/07: Priority Date established
09/13/07: Received NOA1 (PD 5/31, RD 5/31, ND 9/10, PM 9/11)
11/15/07: Case Approved
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD 5/31, RD 6/9, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)

I-129F:
06/27/07: Mailed USPS; 07/09/07: Received NOA1 (PD N/A, RD 7/2, ND 7/6, PM 7/6)
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD N/A, RD 7/6, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)
12/10/07: NVC Received case (12/24/07: Received Packet 3 in the mail)
01/02/08: Email from consulate. Interview scheduled on 01/23. Interview letter in the mail.
01/23/08: Interview in Vancouver Approved
01/24/08: K-3 Visa granted

I-485/I-765 (AOS/EAD):
02/22/08: Mailed USPS; 03/03/08: Received both I-797C NOAs by mail (RD 2/24, ND 2/29, PM 2/29)
03/19/08: Biometrics
05/07/08: EAD card received
07/28/08: Interview Notice Received. (ND 7/23)
09/29/08: Interview - Approved Class CR6

10/18/08: Received welcome letter; 10/23/08: Received Conditional Permanent Resident Card (PM 10/21)

I-751 (Remove Condition)

07/01/10: Mailed USPS
07/16/10: Received I-797C NOA by mail (RD 7/12)
07/29/10: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 08/19/10 (ND 7/26)

09/16/10: Condition lifted and Permanent Resident Card Printed

09/25/10: Permanent Resident Card received

N-400 (Citizenship):
03/03/14: Mailed USPS
03/15/14: Received I-797C NOA by mail (PD 3/6, RD 3/06, ND 3/10)
03/17/14: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 03/27/14 (ND 3/13)

04/03/14: Placed inline for interview scheduling

06/04/14: Interview Notice Received with Interview scheduled for 7/8. (ND 6/4)

07/08/14: Interview + RFE. Response Mailed 7/12. Website updated on 8/21 that response received. 8/25 Placed in queue for oath.

09/05/14: Oath Ceremony Letter Received (ND 9/2)

09/17/14: Oath Ceremony / Naturalized

PD = Priority Date, RD= Receipt Date, ND = Notice Date, PM = Post Marked

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
They specifically ask for previous marriages certificates...so i would give it to them. I wouldnt want to get RFEd for something silly like that. They are not difficult to get, so why risk it. The whole process takes long enough when you do everything correctly...why add time to it. But what do i know! Hope this helps and good luck.

A

Let's be careful. The form instructions do not specifically ask for prior marriage certificates but they do ask for documentation of any name changes. Whenever marriage certificates can be that documentation, it's a good idea to get them. USC, men are not likely to need them, nor are women who kept their maiden names.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Her current marriage certificate validates a name change from her birth certificate as she has filed under a K-3 :thumbs:

Yes, I realize that. However, since she had been married before it could be in her best interest to submit the previous marriage certificate to reflect that particular name change. It's a common scenario for a woman previously married that changed her name upon marriage and did not go back to her maiden name upon divorce.

If she was born Sally Smith, married Joe Cool and became Sally Cool, divorced Joe and is now marrying Jack Jones the marriage certificate between she and Joe would substantiate why her birth certificate states Sally Smith and her marriage license/certificate when she married Jack states Sally Cool.

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Timeline

I think that the OP has already gone through the filing process and is due to go through the process of the visa interview in London UK, therefore she wont get RFE'd for previous marriage certificates. What she'll need is both her's and her husband's divorce decree's from previous marriage, proving that they were legally terminated before they were married to each other!! I wasnt asked for mine.

I was married before, and i was never asked for my previous marriage certificate, just my divorce decree. I'm sure someone else with more experience will comment.

Just my opinion :thumbs:

Separated!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I agree with pushbrk...FTI...Follow The Instructions: If you are asked for something, provide it. If you are not asked...don't provide. I suggest that you follow pushbrk's advice...the information that he provides is RIGHT ON THE MONEY 99.9% of the time!!

Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.