healthteacher

F2A petitioner becomes a citizen before visa appointment

66 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, healthteacher said:

Perhaps he would listen if you could elaborate on what will happen now that he has made this egregious misrepresentation of his status.

You know the ole proverb You can lead  a horse to water , but you can’t make him drink it. 

Since you haven’t addressed Who did his “ papers” , surely not DIY if u determined language is severe barrier..AND he still refuses to engage in your helpful post..best thing you can do is encourage him to take advice he will value ..at whatever price tag his pocket can afford.

Filed: Timeline
12 hours ago, Family said:

You know the ole proverb You can lead  a horse to water , but you can’t make him drink it. 

Since you haven’t addressed Who did his “ papers” , surely not DIY if u determined language is severe barrier..AND he still refuses to engage in your helpful post..best thing you can do is encourage him to take advice he will value ..at whatever price tag his pocket can afford.

Not sure why it would make a difference "who" did his "papers", the petitioner is the one who authorizes and signs..

But back to original question, what are the penalties for making a mistake on the 864? I don't see any benefits that have been received yet, wouldn't that make a difference? 

Can't he just send a letter to embassy explaining mistake and submitting a new 864?

I think the petitioner is just tired of all the drama and just wants facts.

On 5/20/2023 at 6:18 PM, healthteacher said:

Yeah I guess it's petitioners responsibility in the end, even  though he is light on the english. Huh! wish I didnt offer to help now!

So you’re the one who helped him with paperwork at some point (2020) but failed to flag to him that should he naturalize before family in the US child would be delayed as a I-130 needed? 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

39 minutes ago, milimelo said:

So you’re the one who helped him with paperwork at some point (2020) but failed to flag to him that should he naturalize before family in the US child would be delayed as a I-130 needed? 

Is there some reason you need to ask this question? Does it really matter who helped him? Just curious

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As long as you have passed on what is needed probably not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

thanks again boiler for the calm, non scolding style of help and info.

I've come to find out that petitioner's previous immigration lawyer told him to not say anything about petitioner's new status, do not tell beneficiary anything either and everything will  be fine at the interview, they will let you know if there is a problem before issuing the visa, said the immigration lawyer. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That Lawyer needs to be reported, screwing up is one thing, but following that so called advice could lead to a lifetime bar for the beneficiary and who knows what for the petitioner

I bet they did not suggest that in writing 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, healthteacher said:

Can you imagine that type of advice from an experienced immigration lawyer, amazing

An attorney condoning visa fraud?  We see it from time to time.  This one could result in severe consequences somewhere down the line.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I think I see why their old lawyer does not want to finish their case, now it has been tainted and complicated by the new status.

With all the years of delays and backlogs that occur in the immigration system, The problem of LPR petitioners becoming citizens during the long drawn out process must not be uncommon. Sure, maybe more than a few were just unfamiliar with the immigration laws and thought that becoming a citizen was to be expected, or maybe they just accidently 'checked the wrong box' on a form. It may seem like an unfair 'gotcha" kind of technicality to some. However common it is, no one should assume that they will be shown mercy or have case by case discretion used.

Be forewarned- Immigration has targeted immigration fraud like this. Penalties are stiff for those who commit this type of fraud and also the fraudster friends or family that 'help' them.

Also, DO NOT cavalierly become a citizen just because you can! Your ignorance of the rules could ruin your family's dream of life in america together.

Some facts about making 'mistakes' on immigration forms-

Any time someone submits a U.S. visa or green card application that contains false information, it is considered a fraud against the U.S. government. The result is that the person could face a substantial delay or denial of the visa and quite possibly the denial of subsequent immigration applications.

What's more, anyone in the U.S. who helps an applicant falsify an application to gain entry to the country can be indicted and prosecuted by a federal grand jury if the matter is formally investigated by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Some examples of types of false information that can result in visa denial include:

1. personal information
  2. failing to reveal past visa refusals, and
  3. lying about past criminal activity or convictions

Timeline

I seem to recall a similar case where the petitioner and beneficiaries were basically prevented from filing for citizenship due to the misrep. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I talked to an immigration attorney with 25 years of experience who said they handle things a little different at the Havana  Cuba embassy.

She says there is nothing to worry about, they won't make the daughter stay behind as long as she is under 21.

However the embassy needs to be informed about the petitioner's change to citizen so they can update the green card to a C1 status.

Great news!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, healthteacher said:

I talked to an immigration attorney with 25 years of experience who said they handle things a little different at the Havana  Cuba embassy.

She says there is nothing to worry about, they won't make the daughter stay behind as long as she is under 21.

However the embassy needs to be informed about the petitioner's change to citizen so they can update the green card to a C1 status.

Great news!

Sounds like more bad attorney information.  They must "handle things" according to immigration law.  The Daughter of a US citizen will not obtain a visa without a separate I-130.....period.  The only hope is that the consulate processes the I-130. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.