SnowColdIce

Where does exactly one have the interview, is it depending on where we get married?

32 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, SnowColdIce said:

So basically if we marry in person then immediately it's all ok since we are physically there. If we marry through Utah Internet Marriage, even if we have seen each other physically before, we need to see each other physically again after the marriage for the CR-1 to be valid?

You will need the marriage certificate too, that can take a while in some locations.

Then, you need to see each other after the marriage, so it is "consummated" for immigration purpose (nothing more than being together in the same location is required for the consummation to happen). 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
21 hours ago, SnowColdIce said:

So basically if we marry in person then immediately it's all ok since we are physically there. If we marry through Utah Internet Marriage, even if we have seen each other physically before, we need to see each other physically again after the marriage for the CR-1 to be valid?

Correct...and a photocopy of a certified copy of the marriage certificate.  You need "evidence" of being in the same country during or after the online marriage.  Typically, that's passport stamps as primary evidence and photos/receipts as secondary evidence.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I took the CR1 route and I'm recommending to try K1 instead (Or any other B/J visa).

USCIS processing time was going to be 2,5 years, but ours got expedited. You may also apply for K-3 visas, but I've heard that they take just as long as I-130 for spouse.

With CR-1, after the I-130 approval your case will go into NVC, which used to take forever to process, but now they are way faster at processing cases. When they are done, your case will be documentarily qualified and only on that date you are placed in the line for the immigration visa interview. Wait times are a mystery, you won't find the information. Usually, K-1 fiancee visas are processed in the separate consulate which is faster, than regular immigration visa interview lines, where CR-1 mixed with other types of immigration visas.

Locations: From what I've seen if Russian marries outside of Russia, then the case is assigned to that country. DO NOT GO TO MEXICO or Latin American countries. It's the immigration black hole.

I'd definitely recommend trying to through European route, if your fiancee can get the EU visa. And she should be able to request the transfer of the immigration case to Poland.

P.S. It's been 14 months and my Russian husband is still stuck abroad. His case has been stuck in the administrative processing after the interview for a month already. 

IF YOU CAN, MOVE ANYWHERE ELSE, LIVE IN THE DIFFERENT COUNTRY. U.S. IMMIGRATION WILL CRUSH YOU.

Good luck, mate.

Edited by Karjala

Timeline

Oh, and what U.S. government provides to you as a solution: personally reaching out to the embassies around the world and see if they will take your case. They usually don't. I was able to secure a spot in Israel, but it's difficult to get into the country (they deport the majority of visitors from Russia) and expensive to live in.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Karjala said:

Oh, and what U.S. government provides to you as a solution: personally reaching out to the embassies around the world and see if they will take your case. They usually don't. I was able to secure a spot in Israel, but it's difficult to get into the country (they deport the majority of visitors from Russia) and expensive to live in.

Russia is a unique situation now, in that there are no interviews there.  Not applicable to this couple.

K3 has been virtually dead for 13 years.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Russia is a unique situation now, in that there are no interviews there.  Not applicable to this couple.

K3 has been virtually dead for 13 years.

It's in the first sentence: My other half is Russian. So I believe it is applicable in this case.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Karjala said:

It's in the first sentence: My other half is Russian. So I believe it is applicable in this case.

Ahh.  OK

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
Just now, DK999 said:

Is this anecdotal or...? By "deported" you mean Russians are showing up at the Tel Aviv airport and routinely being denied entry?

This is exactly what I am saying. And not just Russians, but Ukrainians and Afghani, even Americans and Europeans get routinely deported. While my husband was waiting for his entry interview in the deportation hall at the Tel Aviv airport, he saw an Italian family being denied entry. You have to look it up. These stories are horrific. The way they treat people is awful. They even have a deportation prison where they're holding people. They are trying to force you to buy your own ticket out of Tel Aviv, which could be a good thing if you are a Russian, because otherwise they'll deport you into the country of citizenship. But they are trying to avoid paying for it.

The only reason why my husband was let in, is because (besides all the required things) he was able to show his U.S. embassy immigration visa appointment notice and a picture of me next to my U.S. passport.

4 minutes ago, Karjala said:

This is exactly what I am saying. And not just Russians, but Ukrainians and Afghani, even Americans and Europeans get routinely deported. While my husband was waiting for his entry interview in the deportation hall at the Tel Aviv airport, he saw an Italian family being denied entry. You have to look it up. These stories are horrific. The way they treat people is awful. They even have a deportation prison where they're holding people. They are trying to force you to buy your own ticket out of Tel Aviv, which could be a good thing if you are a Russian, because otherwise they'll deport you into the country of citizenship. But they are trying to avoid paying for it.

The only reason why my husband was let in, is because (besides all the required things) he was able to show his U.S. embassy immigration visa appointment notice and a picture of me next to my U.S. passport.

Good to know, thanks. It's surprising to hear, especially considering Russians get 90 days visa-free

7 hours ago, Karjala said:

Wow.   That's just wild.  Thank you for sharing that info.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, bren123 said:

What do you mean you can't simply go to Russia? It's perfectly safe to travel to Russia right now. The quality of life here is no different from before. 

Source: I'm an American married to a Russian who has traveled in and out of Russia at least 10x since the conflict started. 

Probably referring to the state department "DO NOT TRAVEL" warnings, and the fact that Americans who need embassy assistance while in Russia will be SOL.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, bren123 said:

What do you mean you can't simply go to Russia? It's perfectly safe to travel to Russia right now. The quality of life here is no different from before. 

Source: I'm an American married to a Russian who has traveled in and out of Russia at least 10x since the conflict started. 

I am married to a Russian man, not a woman. Men are still a subject for conscription/draft. Besides, we've been actively opposing Putler and the war, which means that Russian prison is a part of the equation for us.

It's good that you are feeling safe in Russia, but you should stay alert at all times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.