Cody M.

Advice to get Mexican Carta de No Antecedentes Penales for Canadian Wife

16 posts in this topic

Greetings. 

I'm a US citizen sponsoring my Canadian wife. We have had everything accepted by the NVC except a Mexican background check for time she spent in Mexico. She had the Mexican consulate in Canada guide her through the process, but turns out, guided her to the wrong document. Big mistake on our end. 

According to this website, we need the Carta De No Antecedentes Penales. 

A bit more context:

My wife (34) was officially employed at a Mexican resort in the state of Tamaulipas in 2007 for 5 months. She was sponsored by the resort she worked for, but doesn't have any official documentation from her time there (visa #, etc). 
We worked remotely from Puerto Vallarta in the Mexican State of Jalisco for five months at the beginning of 2022. Both of these addresses were submitted on forms to the NVC. She is currently living in Canada. 

Any advice is helpful, but my 3 main questions are:

1. Does anyone have insight into the most efficient way to get Carta De No Antecedentes Penales to satisfy the NVC under these conditions? I'm seeing some folks doing it online, but we haven't had much luck figuring out how. 

2. Will a state-issued Carta De No Antecedentes Penales from Jalisco suffice, as opposed to where she was officially employed in Tamaulipas? (We aren't sure this is possible yet).

3. Should I call the Mexican Embassy in Atlanta for help? (The closest to my address). 

Tamaulipas currently has a state travel warning against going there, but we do have friends and acquaintances on the ground in Puerto Vallarta and Mexico City that could help out if needed. 

On that note I'll add, the rejected background check required a crazy amount of paperwork, translations, giving power of attorney to friend in Mexico City, etc. So we are prepared to go through the wringer again. We just aren't sure how given this scenario. The issued/rejected background check is from the Agencia De Investigacion Criminal in Mexico City. 

Thanks ahead of time! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You only need police reports for places you've stayed for more than a year

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

According to immigration its 6 months living in another country  under the site for CR1 visa 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Are 16 years old or older Have lived in your country of current residence (if different from nationality) for more than 6 months

She can contact to the Mexican Consulate in Canada ( not USA) and they will fingerprint her and get it for her.
Since she lived/worked in two different states, she would need the “ federale” issued carta and as your DOS link indicates , you can only get that from  CDJ…unless of course you have friends in both states that can go w POA to the correct state police / Fiscalia 

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/montreal/index.php/en/foreigners/services-foreigners/381-certificate-of-registration-data-police-certificate

2 minutes ago, Family said:

As previous posters indicate if she was there less than 6 months, you argue it’s not required.

Even if she lived two separate places that equaled more than 6 months?

She did send an email to the NVC when we were first requested for it, but they never responded. 

How would we go about arguing? 

3 minutes ago, Cody M. said:

Even if she lived two separate places that equaled more than 6 months?

She did send an email to the NVC when we were first requested for it, but they never responded. 

How would we go about arguing? 

You count time in country …thus if total is more than six months, you need it and no use arguing. 
Back and forth with ASK NVC is the only way, unfortunately 

Edited by Family

5 minutes ago, Family said:

You count time in country …thus if total is more than six months, you need it and no use arguing. 
Back and forth with ASK NVC is the only way, unfortunately 

Right, we didn't think they'd retract the request. 

We're just wondering what's the best way to actually get the Carta de No Antecedentes Penales.

24 minutes ago, Family said:

She can contact to the Mexican Consulate in Canada ( not USA) and they will fingerprint her and get it for her.
Since she lived/worked in two different states, she would need the “ federale” issued carta and as your DOS link indicates , you can only get that from  CDJ…unless of course you have friends in both states that can go w POA to the correct state police / Fiscalia 

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/montreal/index.php/en/foreigners/services-foreigners/381-certificate-of-registration-data-police-certificate

We will contact them again in the morning. Hopefully they can patch things up, as this was the same office she's been working with up until this point. 

• 3 months later...

We did! I've sent you a message. 

13 minutes ago, randnev said:

@Cody M. did you figure out this process?

Similar situation as you, with me being the Canadian trying to figure out this step in the process (my wife being the American). I lived/worked in Mexico City for 10 months. 

We did! I've sent a message. 

• 3 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.