James

What to do now that family reunification program extended to Colombia et al. for those with pending family-based petitions?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife petitioned for her brother in Colombia shortly after getting her US citizenship. The petition was approved back in September 2009, and we've been playing the visa availability waiting game since. The action dates they're processing have been stuck at about two years out since the Trump administration (currently processing action dates of Dec 2007).

A.week ago, the Biden administration announced they would be expanding the family reunification program to Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, and would be opening up reunification application centers in those countries for those with pending family-based petitions in order to grant temporary humanitarian parole into the US for beneficiaries while they wait for a visa to become available. 

Other than these sparse news reports, I've seen no particulars about this program expansion. I've suggested to my wife that her brother contact the US embassy in Bogotá to get more info, but there has to be some resource stateside. Does anyone have any info? 

Meh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Link? 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is an existing thread, hopefully a Mod will merge.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

New Family Reunification Parole Processes. DHS is creating new family reunification parole processes for El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Colombia. The agency is also modernizing existing family reunification parole processes for Cuba and Haiti. These processes, once finalized, will allow vetted individuals with already approved family-based petitions to be paroled into the United States, on a case-by-case basis. The U.S. Government will deliver timely and efficient authorization for those approved and vetted to travel. Individuals paroled into the U.S. under these processes would be eligible to apply for work authorization.

https://www.state.gov/u-s-government-announces-sweeping-new-actions-to-manage-regional-migration/

I am not sure what they mean by existing family reunification parole process as the current one is not limited to family reunification, anyone can apply.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, James said:

Other than these sparse news reports, I've seen no particulars about this program expansion. I've suggested to my wife that her brother contact the US embassy in Bogotá to get more info, but there has to be some resource stateside. Does anyone have any info

You just need to wait for government to release the process instructions. ..nothing embassy can tell you before release date. 

You can prepare by having the sister , husband and children get passports, prepare civil docs ( birth marriage) and get familiar with getting police clearance.

Additionally, get a copy of your wife’s US Citizenship, birth certificate, marriage certificate and financial ( taxes bank account, paystub) ready .

When they release instructions, it will likely require an I-134 or I-134 A and you will apply online. 

Sounds like a version of the old V- Visa expanded to all Family Preference categories, and when they come they will be able to get work permits and wait out priority date in the US.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Family said:

You just need to wait for government to release the process instructions. ..nothing embassy can tell you before release date. 

You can prepare by having the sister , husband and children get passports, prepare civil docs ( birth marriage) and get familiar with getting police clearance.

Additionally, get a copy of your wife’s US Citizenship, birth certificate, marriage certificate and financial ( taxes bank account, paystub) ready .

When they release instructions, it will likely require an I-134 or I-134 A and you will apply online. 

Sounds like a version of the old V- Visa expanded to all Family Preference categories, and when they come they will be able to get work permits and wait out priority date in the US.

Well early days, but can you imagine the fury in the Filipino, Indian, Mexican communities etc if Biden goes ahead with this?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Family said:

There is always someone cribbing..even when changes are inclusive….perhaps remember the bans will calm the fury 😀

I think it was today I told someone from Nigeria? they had a 25 year or so wait for a F4.

39 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I think it was today I told someone from Nigeria? they had a 25 year or so wait for a F4.

As stated in heading of previous link , current changes are efforts to control “ Regional Migration “…so xxx other countries will continue to take a number in preference category.

Expedited removal and expedited asylum for border crossings and apprehensions are concrete steps ..and controlled parole is part of those changes. Impact..we wait and see…or keep complaining 😂

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Family said:

As stated in heading of previous link , current changes are efforts to control “ Regional Migration “…so xxx other countries will continue to take a number in preference category.

Expedited removal and expedited asylum for border crossings and apprehensions are concrete steps ..and controlled parole is part of those changes. Impact..we wait and see…or keep complaining 😂

I am not complaining, I find this if anything amusing, I am an interested observer. With current timelines if I wanted to sponsor my Brother we could both be dead and buried before it became current, not that he would want to move anyway.

I am in danger of moving too far away from the OPs question, I was watching the report of the tragic event on the Border today, the person running the shelter mentioned that they served migrants from all over the world.

Also questions the use of the term regional. We know it includes North and South America, Pacific Basin next? I think Europe is nearer than Southern Argentina.

Anyway lets see what they do, will they try and role it into the existing numerical limits, possible, I can see another U visa situation.

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Anyway lets see what they do, will they try and role it into the existing numerical limits, possible, I can see another U visa situation

V visa ( not U) ..assuming typo. 

I get your point but it’s about numbers and may help reduce the influx of those dragging small children ..with a promise of an attainable goal ( I-130j

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/01/13/monthly-encounters-with-migrants-at-u-s-mexico-border-remain-near-record-highs/

Some of the biggest increases in encounters have involved people from Colombia, Cuba, Nicaragua, Peru and Venezuela. For example, there were only four encounters with Colombian nationals at the U.S.-Mexico border in April 2020. By November 2022, that figure had increased to 15,439. There were even steeper increases in encounters with migrants from Cuba (from 161 encounters in April 2020 to 34,639 in November 2022) and Nicaragua (from 86 to 34,162).

Timeline

I meant U, if they role it into the 30,000 a month and keep on adding countries it will be decades before new applicants gets anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
14 hours ago, Boiler said:

New Family Reunification Parole Processes. DHS is creating new family reunification parole processes for El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Colombia. The agency is also modernizing existing family reunification parole processes for Cuba and Haiti. These processes, once finalized, will allow vetted individuals with already approved family-based petitions to be paroled into the United States, on a case-by-case basis. The U.S. Government will deliver timely and efficient authorization for those approved and vetted to travel. Individuals paroled into the U.S. under these processes would be eligible to apply for work authorization.

https://www.state.gov/u-s-government-announces-sweeping-new-actions-to-manage-regional-migration/

I am not sure what they mean by existing family reunification parole process as the current one is not limited to family reunification, anyone can apply.

13 hours ago, Family said:

Thanks to both, I thought it might be something they had just announced without having the processes put in place yet, but wasn't sure. 

Edited by James

Meh

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good evening, i have been trying to find more information about the requirements and steps to follow for this reunification but so far i found an update on May 11 but nothing concrete, do you have any information about or where to find it? 
i already petitioned my children which are adults non married, and We know this process is a long one,but any help for them to come faster is very welcome! 

Timeline

It will be interesting to see, I do now remember seeing this when it was announced.

I also saw an article today that they are doubling the Asylum cases being processed at the Southern Border.

I believe they said it would be by invitation only so nothing you can do, think of it as like the lottery, all you can do is enter and see.

I can only imagine the Political issues if this gets going, there are people looking at a 30 year wait or more and will not be in this scheme.

Makes you wonder how many extra people they have employed.

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.