ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Stella&Eli said:

Yes, I have just downloaded from My Service Canada :) Also it is mentioned that they have already mailed it to my US address. 

Just found mine yay! I was looking in my tax slips and it wasnt there but in a different tab..so crazy. I hope my tax preparer knows what to do with this slip 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Seeing as this thread is 98-page long, would anyone be able to direct newer members to the current important information? i.e. process, criteria, etc. 

Thank you in advance!

On 3/5/2019 at 11:49 AM, ionoone said:

Seeing as this thread is 98-page long, would anyone be able to direct newer members to the current important information? i.e. process, criteria, etc. 

Thank you in advance!

Hasnt really changed tbh. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 months later...
Timeline

I just received confirmation that a decision was made on my claim (I was under review given that my ROE had "quit" as my reason for separation) and was approved.  I had hoped and suspected this would be the case, but it's nice to see it in writing.

I know that I'm not eligible to receive benefits until I receive my EAD, but I'm just wondering if that extends my end date for my claim?  Like if it's 40 weeks of eligibility, and I can't actually claim until, let's say, August, will it be 40 weeks from then?  

Is Service Canada going to make it clear to me when my reports are due?  The blurb for the decision says "if you are required to complete reports, visit the Internet Reporting Service to submit your reports" and the actual claims page says "to prevent any delays, you must complete your report within three weeks of its due date" but there's nothing that says I need to submit one (or by when) and I don't want to jump the gun or anything like that.  But I also don't want to get payments when I'm not eligible for them.

• 3 months later...
Timeline
On 3/5/2019 at 1:49 PM, ionoone said:

Thank you in advance!

im on page 5 and counting (while waiting for the interview date). ;)

On 5/21/2019 at 9:34 AM, d24v said:

I just received confirmation that a decision was made on my claim (I was under review given that my ROE had "quit" as my reason for separation) and was approved.  I had hoped and suspected this would be the case, but it's nice to see it in writing.

I know that I'm not eligible to receive benefits until I receive my EAD, but I'm just wondering if that extends my end date for my claim?  Like if it's 40 weeks of eligibility, and I can't actually claim until, let's say, August, will it be 40 weeks from then?  

Is Service Canada going to make it clear to me when my reports are due?  The blurb for the decision says "if you are required to complete reports, visit the Internet Reporting Service to submit your reports" and the actual claims page says "to prevent any delays, you must complete your report within three weeks of its due date" but there's nothing that says I need to submit one (or by when) and I don't want to jump the gun or anything like that.  But I also don't want to get payments when I'm not eligible for them.

Call the international line for any clarification.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
On 9/7/2019 at 5:35 PM, NikLR said:

Call the international line for any clarification.

Yeah, in the time since May that’s what I did. 

For the person wanting up-to-date info on the process:

* you’ll probably get some stuff in the mail denying your claim. You might panic a little. You’ll find the number for the interstate overseas department and call them. That dude will tell you your claim should have been transferred to interstate and wasn’t. 

* they’ll tell you their sending you a questionnaire in the mail. After six weeks with no questionnaire, you’ll call them back. He’ll tell you where to find the questionnaire online instead. For reference, it’s INS 5247.

I got my EAD on August 22, so I submitted my questionnaire soon after. I plan on calling tomorrow to find out the status of starting my claim. Fingers crossed it’ll go smoothly now.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 7:15 PM, canadavisa22 said:

Can the US citizen (who is dual) claim EI if they're moving back to the US with Canadian spouse who is getting PR?

Probably. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/8/2019 at 6:31 PM, d24v said:

When i received EI i also wondered how long i would get EI for...

I always thought that my timeline would start the moment i received my EAD.  So basically I waited for a few months to get my EAD. Started receiving EI and than the EI got cutoff at week 52 from the date i applied.. I believe it was 52 weeks anyways. And the website says that it cuts off at "the maximum duration of 52 weeks was reached" 

So basically the time you are waiting on your EAD is unpaid but counts towards your weeks on EI. So really you arent getting a full 40 45 or 52 weeks.. maybe closer to half of that. But hopefully you will find a job which pays more than EI and wont have to worry. 

On 3/7/2020 at 8:31 AM, wingman23 said:

Can I still apply even if I passed the 30days period after my resignation?

Yes.  

On 3/4/2020 at 1:13 PM, Marzena & Stephen said:

When i received EI i also wondered how long i would get EI for...

I always thought that my timeline would start the moment i received my EAD.  So basically I waited for a few months to get my EAD. Started receiving EI and than the EI got cutoff at week 52 from the date i applied.. I believe it was 52 weeks anyways. And the website says that it cuts off at "the maximum duration of 52 weeks was reached" 

So basically the time you are waiting on your EAD is unpaid but counts towards your weeks on EI. So really you arent getting a full 40 45 or 52 weeks.. maybe closer to half of that. But hopefully you will find a job which pays more than EI and wont have to worry. 

This is the hard part about K1 and EI. You cant recieve it until you get the EAD but you need to apply sooner than later.  

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.